How can I remove the "jumpyness" from this timelapse I shot?

Started by Fortune, April 16, 2020, 01:36:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fortune

So I used the intervalometer feature + a gimbal to get this amazing time lapse shot of times square during the quarantine right now, but there's one thing I'd love to fix. There's a little "jumpyness" that appears to be a result of the gimbal. It's so minor that I think I can find a way to get it out via post. Here's the video for reference.

https://gfycat.com/backorganicannelid

Is there any way I can remove this "jumpyness" in post? Premiere's warp stabilize doesn't seem to like this one. Anyone have any ideas?

p.s the workflow looks like this
* set intervalometer to take a picture every x seconds
* take all of those cr2 files and import them into a Premiere bin
* Make a sequence out of that bin
* Speed up the sequence to fit within a 10s timeframe

It's the speed ramp that Warp Stabilize doesn't usually play nice with. Perhaps I did the post workflow wrong. How do you guys usually do it?

edit: while coloring in Resolve I figured it out. I used the stabilize function in the cut tab and set the stabilizer to similarity. Now it's buttery smooth!

IDA_ML

Instead of using the intervalometer for taking a picture every X seconds, try filming the timelapse in the video mode by setting the "fps override" option to a low number, say 1-5 fps, dependent on how far from your camera the moving objects in your scene are.  Set also the shutter speed according to the 180 deg. rule.  You will also need a VND filter to set the correct exposure at such low shutter speeds.  With these settings you will achieve two effects:

1) You will get 0 dead time between your shots in the sequence which will give you continuous motion of the moving objects;

2) You will get a very smooth motion blur of the moving objects and a much more naturally looking timelapse. People will no longer jump like crazy all over your scene.

If you also use a stabilized lens, this will greatly compensate for gimbal instabilities.

Good luck!