Video comparison between Atomos Ninja and Magic Lantern?

Started by shhd, April 30, 2020, 02:59:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shhd

Hello
I apologize if the place is wrong for the question
Is there a video comparison between atomos ninja and magiclantern?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Comparison between 5D iv and Ninja v5
Rec on ninja seems better in two points
1- Colors
2- Dealing with shadow
This is a preliminary comparison and is not considered a final rule because I may not have much practice using ninja as this is the first time
Ninja works best with other cameras because 5D iv does not send 10bit signal via HDMI
I will compare the most accurate to this week

yourboylloyd

Quote from: shhd on April 30, 2020, 02:59:00 AM
Hello
I apologize if the place is wrong for the question
Is there a video comparison between atomos ninja and magiclantern?

No I don't think so. We all would love to see that test if you are ever interested in doing something like that!
Join the ML discord! https://discord.gg/H7h6rfq

shhd

I wish we could have a real and fair comparison between the Atomos ninja and the magic lantern
If Atomos ninja is close to the quality of raw movies, it can be beneficial, especially in recording long films

ilia3101

shhd

Quote from: ilia3101 on April 30, 2020, 09:45:22 PM
On which camera?

Let's say any camera
If someone is able to make a fair comparison with the shooting conditions themselves, everyone can benefit in determining their choice and needs
If Atomos ninja is a bit close to a magic lantern, it's a better option because you can shoot long scenes and you can take advantage of the camera's advantages
For example, I have a 5D iv and unfortunately there is no version of the magic lantern, so what is the best option to buy 5D iii with a magic lantern or buy Atomos ninja to use it with 5D iv or any camera

I apologize if the discussion is misplaced, and if the supervisor wants to transfer the conversation to a new, separate topic in the general section, I hope so because this topic may be of interest to many who have no magic lantern version of their camera.

jimiz

I have a 5d3 and an Atomos Ninja 2.
difference between canon onboard recording
and prores from HDMI in Ninja2 ... practically nobody, not even with the microscope, do you detect it, and in fact in editing as a color / light equalization .. nothing gains. why? because in HDMI the canon 5d3 always spits only 8 bits .. which are a misery and the ninja WASTE!

unfortunately ML adds nothing to HDMI ... which remains limited and 8bit ...
so not only can you never have a RAW in hdmi (it would be absurd to expect it) ,,,, but needless to increase the bits, which would mean a lot !! maybe ML did ... but surely never.

the monstrous difference that immediately gives anyone who sees it
is that in ML (raw) you have a net increase in detail ... the 5d3 antimoire filter seems to have disappeared .... while in mov or prores on a ninja, that patina of BLUR remains that removes detail and does not recover it with a sharpe but only digitally emphasize it and in fact you can see ...
obvious then with raw 14 bit..colors, light ... a whole other story ... BUT THE DETAIL so ... you forget it in mov / prores ... yet it is always the same machine. an HDMI output so VERY limited like the canon codec!

on youtube yiu founs some examples...  here one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSVml3R2UE0

set on 1920 , and you can see little bit colors more vived on prores/hdmi...(sure post edited!!) BUT DETAILS ARE THESAME... that's 8 bit!!!
5D3-123

shhd

Thank you very useful video
Sharpness is the magic lantern
Reliability at work and the ability to record long films in favor of atomos ninja
I see a slight difference in serenity between the Ninja and the Magic Lantern
I'm confused
Which of the following options is the best note that I have a 5D iv
Would you buy a 5D iii used with a magic lantern
Or buy atomos ninja with 5D iv

I hope those interested can participate and provide examples that help in making the right choice

katrikura

hi i have a 5DIII and a ninja blade atomos. In the 5D I record in raw 14 bit and in the ninja I record a backup simultaneously. The ninja has a 1 terabite HDD so I can record 12 hours on Prores HQ.

shhd

Please, what do you think of the ninja?
Advise me, buy one because I own 5D iv and the magic lantern isn't working on it
Or  buy a used 5D III that works with the magic lantern
Please help me make the appropriate decision

yourboylloyd

Quote from: shhd on May 02, 2020, 01:57:36 AM
Please, what do you think of the ninja?
Advise me, buy one because I own 5D iv and the magic lantern isn't working on it
Or  buy a used 5D III that works with the magic lantern
Please help me make the appropriate decision

If you buy a 5D3 then you will have two cameras. And with the 5D3 you can shoot RAW internally. Way better than one camera with a ninja to me.

BUT!!!! The 5D4 has dual pixel autofocus. If you like autofocus, stay with the 5D4 and just get a Ninja V. The 5D3 can't autofocus video.

Join the ML discord! https://discord.gg/H7h6rfq

shhd

Thanks for the clarification
Important point because I ran into trouble auto focus with 5D ii
I am very close to buying Ninja I need encouragement

jimiz

iF you like a 5dx ONLY for filming...  belive..forgeti!...
there are many anothers way more and more usefull and good for LONG filming...with 4.2.2 10 but   4k 60p or more... example a GH5 (1200 euro).. (or gh5s)...gh5 have a super stabilizator on body... with 5d3/4 you can forget .. (lens with stab. are good only on photo mode!)
if you like RAW  blackmagic , zcam and anothers...have nice FILM camera..about 1500-2000 euro...
why I say that? because that are really moves camera , no limits like the 5d3/4...
the canon' are super IF YOU do photos, and you do somenthing also for filming...but buy ONLY for filming for me is crazy!

ML on 5d3 is super...but expansive,with lot troubles and limits... CF 128Gb "good" for raw14 bit are expansive, cna recordinf circa 20 minutes and are full..
and at home before converting the ML.RAW in your edit program....you can take holiday,   ML sometime stop recordingk or ate home you have bad surprece with bad frames ecc...if you read in this forum you found TONS of this troubles, and is a TRUE....  so...ML is good if you film somenthig you can do 100 times again, with lot time, and free of stress... BUT if you like do sometihnig for work, (wedding, concerts, and lot of events where you can't do errors...)  YOU CAN'T USE or if you do is a BIG risiko.   THAT'S shit.!!! because  5d3 whithout ML have a bad FHD...is like a 720p strech to 1920p   8 bit...  a IPHONE do better today!!!....BUT in raw, 1920 is really 1920 and pretty images... SO, dream is to use on work ...RAW ML also for weddings, and all the things...  but dream, and you know why...
SO...a blackmagic camera, or gh5 ...in this way are 1000 times better of 5d3 or 5d4 (with codec canon...) NINJA  ?!?  I can understand ONLY if you need HOURS of recording...but not for have more quality...the output HDMI 5d3/4...have no 10 bit /4.2.2.    PRORES recording always of a 8 bit output..so the quality IS THESAME of what recording the camera on CF/SD...!!

wht's better 5d3 or 5d4 ?  well..the 4k  of the 5d4 is better of the 1920 5d3...  BUT the best of the 5d4 I think are in photos way...
I dont' know how much you pay a 5d3 or 5d4 used...but  look well also the another cameras, because if you like film with good quality and no some big limits of canon 5d....is the only way.
I have the 5d3 buy 1st for do photos, but IF was needit only for filming, never was buyng!!!
this my opinion!
5D3-123

Frayfray

Eos R has better HDMI output  than 5d4 (4:2:2 8bit ) https://www.atomos.com/cameras/canon-eos-r (4:2:2 10 bit) 4k uhd and is cheaper,but I would wait cause prices will come down Canon has new cameras in the pipeline but ninja v dropped  in price and with new update will be able to record 5.9k raw on Panasonic S1h. Let's. See what happens

shhd

Thank you all but do I understand from some of the words here that Ninja will not rec 10 bit with 5Div

Walter Schulz

From Canon's specification pages:

EOS R:
QuoteHDMI Output
4K (UHD) uncompressed YCbCr 4:2:2, 8-bit or 10-bit, Full HD 1080P YCbCr 4:2:2, 8-bit. Supported outputs 4K UHD/29.97P, 4K UHD/25.00P, 4K UHD/24.00P, 4K UHD/23.98P, 1080/59.94P 1080/50.00P, 1080i/50.00i, 1080i/59.94i, 1080/24.00P, 576p/50.00P, 480/59.94p. Sound output via HDMI is also possible
-> If you want to record with frame rates beyond 29.97: Only available in Full HD, 8 bit.

EOS 5D Mark IV:
HDMI Output
Full HD recording only, uncompressed YCbCr 4:2:2, 8-bit, sound output via HDMI is also possible

Frayfray

Sorry I did not realize that you already have 5d4 , look at atomos supported cameras scroll to bottom  of page https://www.atomos.com/cameras/canon-eos-5d-mark-iv

shhd

I bought a ninja and will arrive after two days
I will use Ninja on 5D iv and enclose a comparison between 5D iv and Ninja in the same conditions and location
I hope the results are good for Ninja

Frayfray

That would be a nice comparison ..also let see if they (atomos) will activate higher resolution recording for other brands  (Canon R5 )

shhd

Thank you
After two days, I'm going to put a video comparison between Ninja and 5Div
I think the difference would be slight because 5D iv doesn't send a 10-bit signal to Ninja

Frayfray

that sound good i was going buy a ninja blade used then the v was introduced that was a while back, but decided to wait till i bought few more cameras ,it is good way to also have a back up in certain "paid job" even if you have different resolution

jimiz

The difference IS  slight because 5D iv doesn't send a 10-bit signal to Ninja  BUT if you need hours of recording...NINJA is a good way 
5D3-123

shhd

In fact, today you have taken some shots using a flat image style, and have produced a comparison between them, and from the first look of files without modifications, Ninja files look better in colors and are somewhat similar to recording a raw file that is not of the same quality, but you notice a difference between them and you have a feeling that the colors Ninja is closer to a raw file
Tomorrow the comparison file will be ready
And thank you to everyone who participated in the topic

shhd

Comparison between 5D iv and Ninja v5
Rec on ninja seems better in two points
1- Colors
2- Dealing with shadow
This is a preliminary comparison and is not considered a final rule because I may not have much practice using ninja as this is the first time
Ninja works best with other cameras because 5D iv does not send 10bit signal via HDMI
I will compare the most accurate to this week

Frayfray

this is a good side by side comparison you can hardly notice difference in res...i remember seeing a video about 5d3 on atomos blade a few years ago and there was a color difference which can be adjusted in post so no problem there .if you really want a 10 bit output 4:2:2 uncompressed on a canon without breaking the bank there is the canon sl3/250D scroll down to hdmi output part of page https://downloads.canon.com/nw/camera/products/eos/rebel-sl3/downloads/canon-eos-rebel-sl3-specifications-chart.pdf
i know this is unlike canon to offer this feature in consumer type camera . there was a post on canon rumors about a sale for  $360.00 refurbished on the sl 3 in the US. here is the link https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/cameras/refurbished-eos-interchangeable-lens-camera
thanks for making the comparison

shhd

Quote from: Frayfray on May 07, 2020, 04:49:37 AM
this is a good side by side comparison you can hardly notice difference in res...i remember seeing a video about 5d3 on atomos blade a few years ago and there was a color difference which can be

Thank you for your participation
On a computer screen, there is a difference of up to 30% between movie transfer without editing it with video editing software
There are several factors to adjust and make another comparison soon
1 - I am a new Ninja user and I may have made some errors
2 - Video output by editing software I may be looking for a way to output in the best quality without compressing the video
3 - YouTube compresses the video a little
But in general on my device I see a Ninja better than 5D iv at
1- Beautiful color
2 - The shadows are not too dark
3 - Sharp by a small percentage

I hope everyone shares their experiences on some of the comparisons and the correct way to direct the video through Adobe Premiere