Single frame info in the video

Started by Chungdha, September 01, 2012, 01:39:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chungdha

I wonder is it possible for Magic lantern to possible generate a image captured in the very first frame with certain information, as now can do effect to change stuff in the videos. Like have a log menu where you can set scene, slate, shot. Have like also auto shot counter so you dont have to worry about it.  Maybe extra be external sound which you can set an extra counter which you can set to the numbers you want but auto count when you shoot, this makes it easier to find the right number files in post to edit.

Basically in editing that I can just look at the info just in the very first frame, as external log is quite annoying as you have to much files to search for the info. While if its in the video itself would make things much easier.

Also info maybe from the copyright section of the camera as you then can easily use that menu to change the name of the movie for example. Or if it is possible with Magic lantern to able to write a title or info. Especially for interview be handy to write name of the person you interview, as they be there and can ask the correct information as be stored in the video file so you can write the right title in post.

I know there are software to sync sound but I rather have sort out or quick edit the shots and after do the sound sync with those softwares. Especially when you shot allot of takes to sync all NG with the good shots would take too much time for those programs to process it.

However all the other log info be handy as allot of them be lost if you have a intermediate conversion before you edit as some people convert to proress and would lose info that be normally stored in the vid, especially like the time this video been made will have a different time then actually shot time after the conversion.

3pointedit

Would a Silent Pic taken immediately upon starting a recording be ok? I guess the issue would be reading the 422 image in your application, but I agree some systems don't do thumbnails. Or if they do it takes them ages to read the QT file and generate. Whereas a jpg is quick.

Sadly, taking a full jpeg is noisy and slow. I'm not sure if a still image can be ripped from the screen after recording (a Qt movie) in jpeg format?
550D on ML-roids

Chungdha

I am meaning the first frame inside the video file itself so no extra files.

3pointedit

So was I, a silent pic taken immediately at the start of a video would effectively be the first frame from that video. Just saved in another file.
550D on ML-roids

g3gg0

Quote from: Chungdha on September 02, 2012, 04:40:21 AM
I am meaning the first frame inside the video file itself so no extra files.

where do you want to have that image saved?
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

Chungdha

Mov file, so when you open any of the filmed mov file inside any video editing program, the very first frame of the video you see informations displayed instead of what you are filming and rest of mov be stuff that you have filmed.

Basically generate one frame of info that would only overlap the first frame of the video and be recorded into the mov. As I saw image effects is possible so maybe its possible to generate elements that can be recorded into the video.

1%

I think he wants frame info on the thumbnail which is actually not a bad idea, just don't know if it can be implemented.

Malcolm Debono

Having info that's usually written on a slate on the first frame would be handy. Do Premiere and the rest of the editing apps use the first frame as a thumbnail though?
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

1%

Thumbnail is written separately I think, as there is a function for it.  No clue what editors will do, probably ignore it.

g3gg0

Quote from: Chungdha on September 02, 2012, 04:26:10 PM
Mov file, so when you open any of the filmed mov file inside any video editing program, the very first frame of the video you see informations displayed instead of what you are filming and rest of mov be stuff that you have filmed.

Basically generate one frame of info that would only overlap the first frame of the video and be recorded into the mov. As I saw image effects is possible so maybe its possible to generate elements that can be recorded into the video.

ah i see. you want to have in the first frame some information about the file itself.
like current exposure time, time/date, lens name/type and such?
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

nanomad

The movie log feature does just that. I can someone creating a script to add that info to the first frame on the PC (after importing)
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

g3gg0

could be also done while recording.
but we should know *what* to display...

1%

ISO, Shutter speed, aperture, current time, date, heh what else is there. Movie log is kind of meh because its a separate file.

a1ex

Technically it can be done. The steps are:

1) customize bmp_printf so it can output on the YUV buffers, and with some large fonts.
2) find out when to inject some custom bitmap data in the movie frame (maybe with the MovRecState).

Now... is it worth the effort?

3pointedit

As cool as it it is, I really can't see the benefit. Just a bit of searching can reveal most info to the editor. Devs have more important stuff to do on balance, like UI etc.

Sorry all.
550D on ML-roids

Chungdha

For me as I edit for movies and also lifestyle tv programs, especially lifestyle tv while they have limited time they often shoot stuff so unorganized I often don't know what shot is for which. A build in camera slate would be awesome so they can set things like.

Title/Info: type a title of movie or specific information like name of the person you interview ( if making a typing system would be to difficult, could also generate it from author name or copyright information of the camera itself which has a typing system and could generate the information).
time : Auto generate with internal clock
Camera # : set manually
Scene # : set manually
Slate # : set manually
Take# : manually set & edit, plus auto count and reset
Ext Sound record # : manually set & edit, plus auto count and reset

FOV: CU, MS, MID_S, TS, LS, Tilt, OSS, OSSR
Roll: A/B just to organize stuff for edit interview what shots are main of the interview itself and B rolls to edit in.

White balance: just to see if they did a mistake change by accident, so I know the footage need some color correction. And see how much it differs.
ISO: not much as the brightness can see difference by eye.
Shutter speed: maybe so able to know if frame blending is needed if they used to high shutter.

Rest of camera setting or lens used might only be useful for the guys who does camera equipment reviews but don't think me as editor need to know what lens was used.

Also how I see the footage in Premiere is when I double click a footage it opens on a extra monitor where I directly see the first frame and can play the video and trim the sections I need for the edit and drag those into the timeline. But when I open the footage inside premiere I would directly see just the first frame of the video.

Malcolm Debono

Is it simpler to input or generate this info (such as camera, scene, take, etc.) and keep it in the LOG file? If so, I'll see if it's possible to save the info as an image through ffmpeg and merge this frame with the rest of the video. If this is possible, I can integrate it with my app so you can easily batch process the videos while copying them to your PC.
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

g3gg0

well, its technically possible.

but as this is some very special modification that probably noone else will need, i doubt that this will be done.

maybe it is doable with a plugin, specially developed for you.
it could preload a .422 file (containing static info like camera# etc) into RAM and overwrite the first few frames.
for the time and other numbers, it could load separate character bitmaps and write them into the frame too.

so its possible and someone can try to implement that concept for you - if you can convince him.

which camera model do you talk about?

1%

Quotemost info to the editor

Except shooting parameters but I agree this is kind of tiny thing to work on. Everyone has lived without it for so long and truthfully I ignore reviewing most of those settings except occasionally.

Better to work on getting 422 or some slightly compressed version onto the card for better output.

Chungdha

Well as some of the camera operators only film but have to say most indie film makers would film plus also edit.

Well if the administrative work is already done in the camera be easier later in post. Have to say for everybody be useful able to seperate shots easier as if you be filming allot of things and easy forget what you shot.

Well for the more professional level guys be a great feature, as professionally you have to record sound on an external medium as the best be to have seperate guys for camera and seperate for sound. Basically be a digitized slate as everybody still really use it in filming movies, still see allot of people using slate apps or using actual slates. This be a very professional feature on the camera itself, which replaces them.

gnarr

I want to rewake this topic. This is something I could really use, especially since we don't have in camera sound with raw video recording.

Also, naming the files according to this info could help a lot.

e.g. :

Scene 1 - Camera 2 - Take 4 - Slate 1 - 2013-07-21 01:05:13.RAW

Managing a whole feature done with raw could become a nightmare if all files are named something like M21-0105.RAW.

g3gg0

See the new raw format in the appropriate thread in general development forum.