New Canon Announcement: EOS Webcam Utility Beta Software

Started by garry23, April 29, 2020, 01:04:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Schulz

What are you trying to do? Purpose of this action?
Are you talking about EOS Utility or EOS Webcam Utility Beta?

Again: This software is about making your Canon cam to act like a web cam. No more, no less.

masc

Quote from: IDA_ML on May 01, 2020, 08:19:00 PM
Thanks a lot, Luther.  I tried EOS Utility on my 100D today but it does not work with ML.  As soon as I connect the cable to the PC, the EOS Utility starts and the RAW video mode turns off.  It ony works with the built in H264 video.
Correct. Same with my 5D2.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

IDA_ML

Quote from: Walter Schulz on May 01, 2020, 08:29:09 PM
What are you trying to do? Purpose of this action?
Are you talking about EOS Utility or EOS Webcam Utility Beta?

I tried EOS Utility, not EOS Webcam Utility Beta.  I wanted to use it together with OBS for streaming. There are videos on the net that show that this is possible.   I thought, it would work with ML but it didn't.  The reason why I dind't try EOS Webcam Utility Beta is because 100D is not listed as a compatible camera.

Walter Schulz

100D should work, like my unlisted 7d and my unlisted 650D.
Still the question what you are trying to do? You don't expect to run RAW/MLV via USB, do you?

masc

Quote from: Walter Schulz on May 01, 2020, 09:43:34 PM
Still the question what you are trying to do? You don't expect to run RAW/MLV via USB, do you?
No, just a video stream. And this is not possible with RAW-Video active in ML with EOS-Utility or Camera-Live on 5D2. It seems with EOS 100D it is the same. With the new utility it was possible? With camera-live, ML elements + liveview + stream worked at the same time.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

IDA_ML

Quote from: Walter Schulz on May 01, 2020, 09:43:34 PM

In fact, this is what I was hoping - USB2 provides a transfer speed up to 60MB/s which is pretty close to the write speed of the SD-card interface.  So, I thought, 1736x976/24fps/12bit lossless should be doable.  Quality would be much better than the built-in H264 video.

I remember watching a video on the net in which a guy was taking the clean HDMI output out of the camera, pushing it through a Camera Link, connected through a USB cable with his laptop and was applying a LUT in real time to the video.  Quality was fantastic.  Unfortunately, I cannot find the link any more.

Danne

Could people stick to test the eos webcam utility here. First post is about this. Everyone is already familiar with eos utilty, nothing new there.
So is it working with eos m and 5DIII?

Walter Schulz

The only EOS cams* not confirmed to work (yet?) are EOS M and EOS M2.
Not working: All cams labeled "EOS" but running PowerShot code.

*: Equipped with liveview.

luppes777

FYI:
The good old 6D is working with the Webcam Utility too.

luppes777

Quote from: Walter Schulz on May 02, 2020, 07:35:39 AM
The only EOS cams* not confirmed to work (yet?) are EOS M and EOS M2.
Not working: All cams labeled "EOS" but running PowerShot code.

*: Equipped with liveview.

According to this reddit post the EOS M2 is not working with the new tool as for now.
https://www.reddit.com/r/canon/comments/gb63q1/beta_eos_webcam_utility_tested_on_my_canon_dslrs/

JMS

I can confirm that 2 unlisted cams work. First I installed latest EOS Utility 3, then Beta, then close utility V3 (not running in background) then tested with R, no problem. Then tested 70D, no problem. Then with 50D "unable to connect" I had to run EOS Utility V2, connect 50D, close utility, then the 50D was recognized and worked fine with Zoom. Did not test with other streaming software. hope that helps.

ArcziPL

M50: worked out of the box
70D: took me some restarts and card swapping before it worked, in the end without ML card inserted. AF was not available at all. But I didn't spend more than 2 minutes for trials here.
M: no success at all, even without SD card, with non-bootable SD card, auto/photo/video mode...

Quote from: Walter Schulz on April 30, 2020, 05:45:41 PMI'm not a programmer: Funny thing (IMO) they managed to get a clean USB output but keeping cam's liveview display active including overlays. Looks like USB is able to do a bit more than we knew.
Well, it's not that new. In 2008 I played a bit with Canon EOS SDK (Software Development Kit -> some libraries for interfacing EOS cams from PC programs) and it was already possible to get clean output over USB from EOS 450D. So it would be also possible to use it as a webcam at that time, if someone knew how to redirect any video stream to something, what Windows (or any other operating system) is able to interpret as a webcam. I didn't and also had no use case for that. But it's doable for any software developer, without reverse-engineering.
M50.110 [main cam] | G7X III [pocket cam] | 70D.112 [gathers dust] | M.202 [gathers dust] | waiting for M5II

ozcancelik

5d Mark III works. But sometimes adds border. On canon site, they say;

"When using EOS Webcam Utility Beta software with your camera powered off, turned on from the off position during video conferencing or set to Still Photo Shooting mode, a black border may appear around the video source image.  We suggest EOS Webcam Utility Beta software be used with your camera powered on and set to Movie Shooting mode, if available."

I didn't understand. Anyone experiencing this problem? How to fix it exactly?

Edit: Border issue depending on whether the program you will use the camera is opened or not. For example, you want to use Zoom; keep the camera off, turn on the zoom, go to the webcam settings, if you select canon webcam utility and then turn on the camera, there is no border. It may be wrong, it just worked that way in my experience.

FilipS

Quote from: domasa on May 01, 2020, 09:35:52 AM
Works with 5D Mark III. But output width is narrowed. Output resolution is 1280x720 (maybe smaller).

@IDA_ML
EOS Webcam Utility allows use DSLR direct as webcam without some hack tools.

This is fine if using mac and windows10 - but I am using Linux but hope the just make the cam work in reguler webcam mode with UVC specification,
It should be in the firmware.

markanini

Works on my 600D/T3i but the stream gets cut off a lot with this message appearing briefly:
Gear: Canon 600D & Magic Lantern Nightly.