Flowers and birds walk UHD 5D3

Started by allemyr, April 28, 2020, 02:14:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

allemyr

As I tweaked my color settings last month I took my camera with me to the garden and forest where i live in Sweden.
To have some shots to grade. There is some stuff to set up in Resolve but now when I've learned it is fast to grade and cut with it.
I think the quality turnsout good on Youtube and that UHD upscale gets better quality on Youtube compression then 1080p footage does.
I grade inside a Arri Alexa transform node since I think thats the best log profile out there with smooth color transitions.

I just wanted to share this video since I read on magiclantern monthly. And I don't have any plans to upgrade my camera.
But I can say that I've learned so much about raw processing furing the years having a Canon ML RAW camera.
More that I should have learned if I bought a BlackMagic Cinema Camera with a conceived color workflow.
From now on I won't change a thing with the workflow. Maybe I will put sometime and learn more colortone combinations in grading
but I'am happy how the orange teal looks.

I use the good program MLVapp to go from MLV to CinemaDNG where I also adjust the white level on export from 15000 to 16bit max 16383.

Everything else i do in Resolve 16 Studio with only one end export when all cutting and grading is done. I think Resolve does a good joob
on upscaling and reduce the colornoise, the luma noise I let it be as it it since Youtube compression takes care of that mostly and it saves me time.

masc

Nice video!

Quote from: allemyr on April 28, 2020, 02:14:58 PM
... where I also adjust the white level on export from 15000 to 16bit max 16383.
Why should one do this? If 15000 is saved as RAW whitelevel for your camera, you won't get any additional information by just raising this number to its limit.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Dmitriy84759

Beautiful shots! And nice grading! What lenses did you use at 1:57?

allemyr

Quote from: masc on April 28, 2020, 05:19:16 PM
Nice video!
Why should one do this? If 15000 is saved as RAW whitelevel for your camera, you won't get any additional information by just raising this number to its limit.

Thank you for writing. I do that since it is "interpreted" better in Resolve. I can do a test a show you. But in Resolve that range above 15000 is only visible from highlight recovery.
I read thru this thread a pair of years ago and found about it. Its post 100 on page 5, first post on this thread that describes it. The image comes in a little bit brighter
with 16383 instead of 15000 as white level and its very handy to adjust before export dngs from MLVapp.

Thanks for your comment.

Heres the Resolve MLV thread: https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=15801.100

masc

Okay, thank you. Very funny... whatever Resolve is doing there.  8)
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

allemyr

Quote from: Dmitriy84759 on April 28, 2020, 09:25:41 PM
Beautiful shots! And nice grading! What lenses did you use at 1:57?

Hi Dmitriy,

On those shots I used my Canon 400 5.6 L on a tripod and I also used the 3X ML zoom in function while recording so with digital zoom and the lens its 1200mm.

Thanks for commenting!

allemyr

I tried some different sharpen amounts, and I think sharpen the fine details worksfine. Noise gets more visible to and its especially two shots that I need to watch blacks getting to noisy, and should have adjusted before upload. Adjusting contrast lift and gain to get rid of noise is one thing that you need to pay attention to while grading. And maybe not use the shadows slider on worse exposed shots and on higher ISO.