Guangzhou in Black & White, April 2020. Magic Lantern Raw 2.7K 5D2.

Started by york824, April 24, 2020, 01:57:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

york824

I always love black & white photography so I figure why not make a video in B&W.
It's just fun to grade with raw footage.
The time is April and life is almost back to normal.
Hope everybody stay safe no matter where you are.

Lens used in this video: Canon EF-S 18-55MM STM modded to be fit in fullframe cameras.

Luther

Another great music choice (is that Ludovico Einaudi?). Well recorded, great scenes (particularly the rain scenes at 1min56s). This color grading reminds me of Kodak Tri-X with 'stand' development, which I think is beautiful.
Your video productions would really enjoy a fast and old lens like Helios-44. I like your 18-55 but it can be harsh sometimes. A smoother lens would be a good change.

edit:just saw the music is from Mattia Cupelli. Still, reminds me so much of Einaudi's compositions.

york824

Quote from: Luther on April 24, 2020, 06:51:20 PM
Another great music choice (is that Ludovico Einaudi?). Well recorded, great scenes (particularly the rain scenes at 1min56s). This color grading reminds me of Kodak Tri-X with 'stand' development, which I think is beautiful.
Your video productions would really enjoy a fast and old lens like Helios-44. I like your 18-55 but it can be harsh sometimes. A smoother lens would be a good change.

edit:just saw the music is from Mattia Cupelli. Still, reminds me so much of Einaudi's compositions.
Thank you for the kind words.
I love my Helios-44 lens as well. The only problem is that it lacks stabilization and when shooting 2.7K raw the camera also crops in to 2.0x so it would be a 116MM lens, with which I couldn't handhold to get a stable image. When using a monopod it would be my choice of lens for sure :). I hope someday I can get a camera with IBIS so that I can utilize all my vintage lenses for handheld videos. But for now the 18-55 lens is more versatile for mobile use to me. It is also very cheap I got mine for less than $100 second-hand.

alexboum

The footage is great, it really feels cinematic. Could you teel us wich stabilizer did you use?

york824

Quote from: alexboum on April 25, 2020, 10:10:38 PM
The footage is great, it really feels cinematic. Could you teel us wich stabilizer did you use?
These are handheld footages but the lens I used has stabilization built-in.

alexboum

Quote from: york824 on April 26, 2020, 10:12:53 AM
These are handheld footages but the lens I used has stabilization built-in.

Thx. Works great.

yourboylloyd

Amazing. I love the feeling that I got from this video. Great grading and music choice!
Join the ML discord! https://discord.gg/H7h6rfq