Chinese SD card not booting (EOSCard)

Started by sylvain_c, April 22, 2020, 02:35:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sylvain_c

Hello,

I bought 2 sd card on aliexpress with "kimsnot" brand, but EOSCard seems not able to make them boot.
Since I rarely use EOSCard, and after hours of trying only to make an sdcard bootable I'm asking the question:
Does Chinese card have an impossibility to boot??
I have the autoexec.bin on the card, who was formated before in the 5d3, and I put the last build for 4K video that's working on 4 others "normal" cards.
I also bought a CF 128Go at 50 euros from same brand....Benchmark seems good, I just hope this card will last more than a year.
5D MKIII 1.1.3

Walter Schulz

Before we come to the part "EOScard? WTF?":
Test card with h2testw (Windows) or  f3/f3gui (MacOS, Linux).

sylvain_c

I tested the two card and there is no errors.
I'm using EOSCard 1.4 with admin privileges, the cards are not physicaly locked and i'm ticking the 2 box EOS_DEVELOP 0x047 and BOOTDISK 0x05C.
I never receive a message or something that's validate that the operation was successful.
5D MKIII 1.1.3

Walter Schulz

And what happens if you try to make card bootable by running ML install in cam? That's the preferred method -> Install guide.

sylvain_c

With this method it works! I remember doing this the first time I installed magic lantern maybe 6 years back, and since everything works great never have to, or wanted to update the firmware, because all my sd cards with differents versions were rendered bootable with EOSCard.
It's not something I like a lot to rewrite a working firmware only to make a card bootable, but for this 2 particulars cards I will have to.
EOSCard was a better solution for me, but it seems to have problems with "kimsnot" cards.
5D MKIII 1.1.3

Walter Schulz

You do not rewrite the firmware. During installation cam's bootflag will be set. That's all.
ML is loaded from your memory card.