Canon 50mm 1.8

Started by jbuy41, September 01, 2012, 01:36:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbuy41

I have a problem with the front lens poping out.  It snaps back in and works fine.  Is there a cure?  I have a 550D and have done minor lens repair, but can't figure this one out.

3pointedit

Is that the nifty fifty (plastic cheapy)? I had same issue, but returned it to store for an exchange. Judging from the poor quality of internal support structures I doubt that it will ever stop popping out.
550D on ML-roids

nanomad

Too bad canon has dropped the build quality on the 50 1.8.  Plastic bits usually make repairs difficult (if a piece snaps you're screwed)
Try hunting for a good non-version II. Mine is more than 20 years old and still working like it was bought yesterday. The old version has a full metal mount, separate focusing ring and distance scale. The optical layout is the same, but maybe the anti-flare coating is better on the II (I doubt it)
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

jbuy41

Yes, its the nifftyfifty.  I have had two of them.  I have tried to repair but I think I must have losted the tiny plastic spacer or something.

Chungdha

I havent had a problem yet as I saw people breaking it by turn far to hard. Also storing in the bag is best to turn the lens back into the body which is safer and better for the lens then not doing it. Other problem is so much dust can easily get into the lens. And no way could clean it easily.

3pointedit

To add I think mine took a nose dive in my camera bag. I have since taken to placing it on its side in transport, so even a gentle bump when putting the bag down wont put pressure on the 2 elements.
550D on ML-roids

nanomad

Well my old 1.8 took almost a 2m dive last night (whoever was in chat may remember it) and it's still working fine  ::)
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

a1ex

It's easy to fix, there is a little screw and metal piece that limits the travel of the focus ring. If it's still an issue, I'll take a picture on my lens to show you what to adjust.

jbuy41

Thanks Alex

I lifted off the M/A Switch and tighten down the metal stop.  There seems to be no way to adjust.  Do you move it up closer to the rear?

a1ex

Here's the metal stop: http://www.ejarm.com/photo/ef5018iidis/big/05switchpanel.jpg

It's not user adjustable, I've only tightened it to make it a bit longer. The 50/1.8 pops out when it's focused past infinity, so you need to limit the travel of the focus ring somehow.

I wish it was adjustable so you could calibrate the infinity focus.

jbuy41

After trying several things to limit the range of focus, I noticed that one of the snaps of the front lens was broken.

Since I figured I had nothing to loose, I put a small drop of crazy glue (gel type) on the place where it was broken and snapped it back on.

Turned the lens face down on the table and let it set for an hour.    Put it on the camera on started shoot close and far and inbetween.  Has not popped yet so maybe that will work.  Let you know after a longer trial what happens.

jbuy41

It worked for a while then off again.  After reseaching the parts diagram, I am missing the tiny spacers.  Proable cause of my problem.