100 ISO
5600K WB

Enjoy!
EOS M

Dmytro_ua

5d3 1.2.3 | Canon 16-35 4.0L | Canon 50 1.4 | Canon 100mm 2.8 macro
Ronin-S | Feelworld F6 PLUS

yourboylloyd

Great colors! It's impressive. You really know how to grade in MLVApp.
Join the ML discord! https://discord.gg/H7h6rfq

ZEEK

EOS M

ZEEK

Quote from: yourboylloyd on April 19, 2020, 09:16:10 PM
Great colors! It's impressive. You really know how to grade in MLVApp.
Thanks Lloyd, the resolution looked really nice on a 4K Display, it was easy to grade as the colours were brought to life by the resolution. Cheers  :)
EOS M

IDA_ML

Haa-h Zeek,

I am so glad to see you have adopted 18 fps filming and have noticed how nicely it upscales to 24 fps.  I am looking forward to your next video shot at 14 fps in the anamorphic Full Sensor Readout mode, at 1736x2928 resolution and up converted to 24 fps, (crop factor 1.0 !!!).  Just use Shutter Fine Tuning to set exactly to the 180 deg. rule.  You will see how nicely that one works downscaled to UHD (3840x2160)! 

What this little EOS-M beast is now up to, thanks to our developers' systhematic efforts, is absolutely amazing!

Happy Easter and stay safe! 

ZEEK

I'll test out the full sensor readout mode @1736x2928 and see how I like it. Yep, the developers have done a great job for sure. It's a great tool now and amazed to see how far it's come. I remember the early days where the live view was stretched vertically, fixing that was a miracle. 😎👍
EOS M

cmh

Quote from: IDA_ML on April 20, 2020, 11:58:00 AM
Haa-h Zeek,

I am so glad to see you have adopted 18 fps filming and have noticed how nicely it upscales to 24 fps.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Zeek mentionned fps "override to 23.976".
I tried this solution myself but the record time is about 3 to 4 seconds (with a Sandisk 170 MB/s) and my kit lens is so soft that it's not worth the effort.
That said I find your suggestions pretty interresting and as soon as I have some time to kill, I'll try to compare Resolve's different frame interpolation methods, on different scenes (like, is it noticeable with a talent and not just b-rolls of static props) and compare various fps .

IDA_ML

CMH,

By interpolating to 24 fps, I mean 23,976 fps as Zeek did.  I was just too lazy to write all the digits, so I rounded the cadance to 24 fps.  Due to the interface being too slow on the EOS-M, you cannot do more than 18 fps, even 14 fps if you go too high in resolution.  So, interpolation to 24 fps is required in post.  I found that  Resolve does a pretty good job with that.  The final result looks very smooth and Resolve provides a naturally looking motion blur too.  This works best if you film wide angle landscape videography where the moving objects are far enough from your lens.  In this case, a smooth motion of the camera provides a very naturally looking video, even filmed at 14 fps and then interpolated to 24 fps.  I usually use the Optical flow/Enhanced better option in Resolve for that.

If I need 4k I often use the anamorphic Full Sensor Readout mode, at 1736x2928 resolution, 14 fps and 1/28-th of a sec. shutter speed (180 deg. rule).  By filming at 10-bit lossless and underexposing the scene by about 1/2 stop, I get quite long, even continuous recording.  Downscaled to 3840x2160, video looks gorgeous on my 30-inch 2560x1600 screen, especially in areas of finest detail.  Aliasing is negligible to nonexistent.  This mode works very well with Dual ISO too - you have enough vertical resolution for that. 

Just give it a try and please share your experience.  I would be curious to see what Zeek and you think. Eventually, it may turn out that this poor man's 4k video on the EOS-M is not all that bad at all.

ZEEK

Quote from: IDA_ML on April 23, 2020, 04:25:06 PM
interpolation to 24 fps is required in post.
Yep. I recorded 18fps in camera, then in MLV App, I overrided the export to 23.976. Optical flow is a good choice, though I didn't use that in these samples.
EOS M

IDA_ML

Zeek,

If you still have the original 18 fps footage, just export it as an 18 fps file in MLVApp and then do the override to 24 fps in Resolve.  This will give you a direct comparison with what you have now.  In my opinion, Resolve will do a better job in overriding because of the optical flow.  You may need to film a more dynamic scene, with more moving objects (people, cars, etc.) to notice the difference.

cmh

Quote from: IDA_ML on April 23, 2020, 04:25:06 PM
CMH,

By interpolating to 24 fps, I mean 23,976 fps as Zeek did.  I was just too lazy to write all the digits, so I rounded the cadance to 24 fps.  Due to the interface being too slow on the EOS-M, you cannot do more than 18 fps, even 14 fps if you go too high in resolution. 

I don't want to be a contrarian but 3k 10 bits ~24 fps is technically possible. You'll get 50 to 70 frames tho, 3 to 4 seconds. This is why I got confused.

edit: I can upload the mlv if needed.

IDA_ML

Quote from: cmh on April 23, 2020, 07:23:07 PM
I don't want to be a contrarian but 3k 10 bits ~24 fps is technically possible. You'll get 50 to 70 frames tho, 3 to 4 seconds. This is why I got confused. 

I agree but 3-4 sec. is too short for most practical purposes.  The way to get longer recording times at that resolution is to film at lower fps as Zeek did.  This is the reason why I suggested to film at lower fps and then interpolate to 24 fps in post.  It works for me.