"Pacifier" | Canon EOS M | Canon FD 35-105mm Macro Zoom

Started by belalkhansocial, April 18, 2020, 05:30:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

belalkhansocial

Shot and edited this yesterday.

EOS M Magic Lantern 2.5K (3x crop).
Canon's FD 35-105 macro zoom with a Pixco focal reducer
MLVApp to Prores Upscaled to 4K

Mostly shot at 35mm, (with 3x crop: 105mm macro)

Every time I slap on that lens, I just go into playtime mode.

I've had that lens since October, and love it more and more each time I use it.

yourboylloyd

That was a lot of bokeh! I mean I know it's a macro lens and the baby is small, but that was impressive for an f/3.5 lens at 35mm.

Nice shots!
Join the ML discord! https://discord.gg/H7h6rfq

belalkhansocial

That's the beauty of having a lens with a short minimum focus distance. The further an object is away from the lens, the larger the depth of field gets.

That's why macro lenses seem "slow" in comparison but because you can get closer than any "normal" lens you get all the bokeh you want.

The great thing about 35mm macro is that you avoid the wide angle distortion while the macro allows for separation.

This is probably my favorite FD zoom lens. Best combo so far is Canon FD 24mm f2 + the 35-105mm Macro. Only challenge is with the EOS M, i need to make sure there's plenty of lighting.

I'm very curious to try this combo on a Sigma FP (gotta go rent one). Most cameras will maintain data in the seemingly blown out highlights when it comes to raw. Sigma FP took an opposite approach where it's advised to underexpose to ensure the highlights aren't blown out while being able to recover the shadows. (Some testing for another time and place.)

yourboylloyd

Quote from: belalkhansocial on April 18, 2020, 08:47:25 PM

I'm very curious to try this combo on a Sigma FP (gotta go rent one). Most cameras will maintain data in the seemingly blown out highlights when it comes to raw. Sigma FP took an opposite approach where it's advised to underexpose to ensure the highlights aren't blown out while being able to recover the shadows. (Some testing for another time and place.)

I wanted the sigma FP too. I would actually love that I can keep my existing workflow and get better 12bit RAW video. But currently, besides having 4K RAW, it is not as good as the 5D3. There is no way to playback footage, you don't even get a headphone jack, and if you REALLY need to shoot 4k, you can shoot 4k crop if you need to. I know that FD lenses don't really work on the 5D3, but its still cheaper to buy a used 5D and a used macro lens (like the tamron 28-75mm f2.8 macro - $136 on ebay). I love how game changing the sigma fp had potential to be, but they made it too featureless for the price. You can also buy a panasonic S1 and shoot 10bit for the same price with a LOT more features.
Join the ML discord! https://discord.gg/H7h6rfq

belalkhansocial

I wonder if they've considered doing what Z cam did in terms of playback. Simultaneously recorded proxy h.265 file.  This way, you can play back the proxy just to review what you shot. But, you have the raw footage to play with later.

Definitely has a lot of issues that may not make a good purchase - but worth renting to address curiosities.