[Hardware issue?] Canon 60Da Won't turn on

Started by nachtmerrie, April 13, 2020, 04:28:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nachtmerrie

Hello, I was going to use my 60Da tonight and I noticed that when I turned it on the card reader LED kept flashing for several seconds, yet the camera wouldn't do anything. Thinking it was a battery or door issue, I tried different things to get the camera to boot. Now the camera will not respond or flash any LEDs.

Why do I think this could be a ML issue? If I put in my 6D SD card into the 60Da, the card reader LED flashes and the display shows a ML model detection error. So the camera is able to read the SD and determine it has the wrong build of ML on it.

Any advice would be appreciated  :)

nachtmerrie

I used a new SD card, formatted with EOSCard, and was able to run the LED Blink Test successfully.

nachtmerrie

I was able to run the ROM dumper:

Magic Lantern Rescue
----------------------------
- Model ID: 0x287 60D
- Camera model: Canon EOS 60D
- Firmware version: 1.1.1 / 3.3.7 6C(2f)
- IMG naming: 100CANON/IMG_0057.JPG
- Boot flags: FIR=0 BOOT=-1 RAM=-1 UPD=-1
- ROMBASEADDR: 0xFF010000
- card_bootflags 10849c
- boot_read/write_sector 108c98 108cd0
- 102320 Card init => 0
- Patching 102330 from e3510001 to e3510000
- 102320 Card init #2 => 2
- Dumping ROM0... 100%
- MD5: 124386b74ce889ce9c7302dc1b5fd9d7
- Dumping ROM1... 100%
- MD5: f8de0fdc7eadb65c2bb9df41f53f82d1
- No serial flash.
- Saving RESCUE.LOG ...

Not sure what else would be of use, please let me know.

Walter Schulz

Take your 6D card, rename ML directory to ML.6D, autoexec.bin to autoexec.bin.6D and (optional) ML-SETUP.FIR to ML-SETUP.FIR.6D. Copy extracted 60D nightly build files to card and retry. Don't forget to remove battery if cam get stuck and retry after! If it doesn't work: Take a spare card (32 GB or less recommended), format using your PC, insert into cam, format again, insert into PC, copy Canon's firmware to card (linked in 60D nightly build page -> Installation) and reinstall Canon firmware. Retry with your "6D" card. Report back.

nachtmerrie

Walter, thanks for the reply. I tried all of your suggestions, unfortunately none of them worked. With the 6D card, when the camera turns on I get a single card LED flash, whereas anything on the spare card gives nothing. It is interesting (and tantalizing) that I get the Model detection error screen with the 6D card, and absolutely nothing beyond Card LED flashing at most otherwise.

a1ex

Alright, so the hardware appears to be alive. You might be able to get some diagnostic logs with one of these builds:

https://builds.magiclantern.fm/jenkins/view/Experiments/job/startup-log/
https://builds.magiclantern.fm/jenkins/view/Experiments/job/startup-log-mpu/

If they don't work, send me - privately - a copy of your ROM. I might be able to reproduce the error in QEMU and figure it out from there.

nachtmerrie

Alex,

I tried startup-log, the LED never stopped blinking and no log was found on the card. No obvious log for the startup-log-mpu. Will pm the ROM.

nachtmerrie

I ended up replacing the motherboard to fix the camera. Thanks everyone.