Neat Video 5 - Real Time Review

Started by domo94, April 02, 2020, 05:57:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

domo94

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yv5S4a_k0U

I made a video demonstrating the Neat Video 5 plugin for Premiere Pro.

I upgraded from Neat video 4 and I can tell you it's much faster and more refined, for sure.

This footage was shot with a Canon 7d, Magic Lantern using focus peaking & the upgraded bitrate at 1.4x CBR.

The Canon 7d is notorious for having terrible low light. So I'm using this to fix it.

yourboylloyd

Thanks for this! Have you noticed any drop in speed at all? I tried Red Giant Denoiser and that one works amazing as well and I love that it uses the GPU to go go blazingly fast.

Also I'm curious. Why do you shoot at CBR of 1.4x? Do you notice any difference in artifacts or quality?
Join the ML discord! https://discord.gg/H7h6rfq

domo94

I need my camera to record long bits of footage. A little extra bitrate doesn't hurt, but I haven't been able to truly see a massive difference other than in Magic Lantern RAW.

I've done 0.4 and 1.6 for length purposes, there is a difference there for sure.
It also makes me comfortable stretching the clip's information a little further.

Neat Video is super fast now with this update.
Never used Denoiser, really. A long time ago through a pirated version, but I didn't like it.

reddeercity

Quote from: domo94 on April 02, 2020, 09:28:47 AM
.... but I haven't been able to truly see a massive difference other than in Magic Lantern RAW.
??
What the heck are you talking about , There Massive difference !!
It sound like you don't really not how to use raw video correctly , and with the major (maybe the worst cam) aliasing and moire patterns problem in H264
Raw help correct that , not to mention 3xcrop_mode (2k 1:1 pixel) there so many option you missing out on .

The 7d has great results with raw , H264 is a terrible  waste of time , that why you need thing like neat video to fix noise problem.

domo94

"Other than in Magic Lantern RAW"

Of course I've seen the difference in RAW.

But my 128GB card got messed up and RAW slowed my workflow down too much. Now I have a 64 GB.

I'd rather have consistent solid video that doesn't have destructive hot pixels all over the place (which I keep getting), what have you.

It's even a pain when you have the VAF aliasing filter because it didn't fit well with a couple of my lenses, so I couldn't always use it.

RAW filled up my card way too fast.

Aliasing is worse in raw, plus it's not stable enough to give me what I need, so I'd rather shoot h264 and guarantee myself the footage.

I don't want to have to deal with recording settings where I gotta tweak everything.

I don't mind using raw from time to time, but for work? I'd rather stop shooting myself in the foot.

masc

Quote from: domo94 on April 02, 2020, 10:11:17 AM
I'd rather have consistent solid video that doesn't have destructive hot pixels all over the place (which I keep getting), what have you.
Hot pixels can easily be removed in RAW.

Quote from: domo94 on April 02, 2020, 10:11:17 AM
Aliasing is worse in raw...
Never ever. It is identical (because the read out is identical) but in H.264 it is compressed to death, while in RAW you can use intelligent and good looking filters to handle it.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

domo94

I'm sure.
But I can't sit there processing footage anymore. I also need some playback ability when I'm in the field.

It's just toooo slow to justify for work again.

Not many people are going to notice the h.264 difference unless you put it side by side.

domo94

Also, I have a hard time removing the hot pixels in raw.

It's not that simple, despite MLV Raw and the features they have.

I was avid with RAW, but I couldn't resolve my issues.

masc

Quote from: domo94 on April 02, 2020, 10:54:18 AM
Also, I have a hard time removing the hot pixels in raw.
That was the past. Try out the new MLVApp with the new Bad Pixel Map feature. You create a Bad Pixel Map using a picker in around 5min, which is used for ever for all your clips. Really easy.

Quote from: domo94 on April 02, 2020, 10:53:26 AM
Not many people are going to notice the h.264 difference unless you put it side by side.
But for those people you don't need your 7D... A 100$ smartphone would do the job as well.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

domo94

Def not man.

I get amazing photos and images out of the 7D.

Just look at this video right here - https://vimeo.com/388386878

yourboylloyd

lololol that was def better than a cell phone camera.

But MLVApp is amazing though. It's way faster to convert the .MLV into a perfectly graded .MP4 with these later updates.  I can only imagine what those shots would have looked like in RAW.
Join the ML discord! https://discord.gg/H7h6rfq

domo94

Go through my Vimeo and you'll see a wedding I did myself back in 2016

It's also very cumbersome to maneuver through videos when I film on spot and need to erase or something.

Time it takes to record is slow as well. My menu sometimes just turns to the laggiest thing ever for some reason.

What are your favored versions for the 7d?