Canon T5 shuts off while doing Remote Live View

Started by abishur, March 31, 2020, 04:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abishur

I have a canon T5 that I'm using as a webcam by connecting the camera to my computer over USB and doing remove live view.  While doing remote live view video (not recording anything) the camera clicks off after half an hour.  I've tried to enable the setting in Magic lantern to auto resume as well as the option to hide bitmap overlays in remote view (I'm assuming that means hide the white focus boxes), but it still clicks off.

Am I doing something wrong (like misunderstanding what these options actually do), or do I need to do something else to enable the ML features?  I'm using the latest firmware for my camera (1.0.2) along with the most recently nightly build for the T5.  I'm using EOS utility 2 (I've installed EOS utility 3, but it keeps launching 2 when I connect the camera).

Reading around it seems like this is either an issue related to a max allowable size of 4GB (which would be odd since I'm not actually recording, I just have the remote window up) or a deliberate function of the camera to avoid an extra fee in EU countries that would add a tax onto the camera for being a movie camera if it recorded for longer than 30 minutes.

Any ideas how I can work around this issue?

Luther

This seems a limitation of the camera, AFAIK. Happens on my 600D too. I think you can solve using a HDMI capture card instead of USB.

abishur

Turns out it was a P.I.C.N.I.C. issue.  I had to go into the Magic Lantern settings then the "Preferences" tab, select "PowerSave in LiveView" and set the 30 minutes timer to "Disabled".