Where to Download the Dual ISO Convertor?

Started by russellsnr, March 20, 2020, 02:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

russellsnr

Hi, In the middle or was in the middle of moving back to the UK but with the problems we are facing that has been put on hold, I normally use the Lightroom plugin to convert my dual iso files but that computer has been packed away but I have a small lap top running Windows 10 so where please can I download the stand alone version of the converting software for a Windows 10 computer. Thankyou.

Walter Schulz

You can download the plug-in and look into bin directory ...

IDA_ML

Why not just using MLVApp for your Dual ISO RAW videos?  Just download it from here:

https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=20025.0

and you are ready to go.  It does a hell of a job even on weak laptops, no problem with Win 10 too. I use MLVApp for post processing and grading my Dual ISO RAW videos and am very happy with the image quality and overall results.  Rendering is slow but still much faster than the LR workflow. 

russellsnr

OK many thanks to all. I assume that the MLVApp is only for video and not still photography?

IDA_ML

Quote from: russellsnr on March 20, 2020, 05:29:26 PM
OK many thanks to all. I assume that the MLVApp is only for video and not still photography?

No, I use MLVApp also for my stills photography with the RAW2MLV plug-in.  Please use the Search to find that package, extract the two files from it into your MLVApp directory and then drop the raw2mlv.exe file onto the MLVApp.exe file to add the plug-in to the MLVApp package.  When you start MLVApp and go to the File menu you will find the Import and transcode submenu.  This one will convert all your CR2 files in a given directory into a MLV file. After import you can move through all your stills frame by frame, process each one of them to your liking and then export them as JPGs.  Your Dual ISO conversion option is in the RAW menu.  You will be surprised by the image quality, much better skin tones, lower shadow noise and better highlight detail, as well as smoother tone transitions compared to LR. 

Have fun and don't forget to share your opinion on the MLVApp workflow for stills!

russellsnr

Hi, sorry but I put in search and get re directed back to this topic here in M/L forums or am I missing something elsewhere to search. Many Thanks.

IDA_ML

OK, you can download the files that I use from here:

https://we.tl/t-vz2nYrRcZD

This link will be active for 7 days.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: russellsnr on March 20, 2020, 07:17:53 PM
Hi, sorry but I put in search and get re directed back to this topic here in M/L forums or am I missing something elsewhere to search. Many Thanks.

https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13652.0

russellsnr

Quote from: IDA_ML on March 20, 2020, 07:56:52 PM
OK, you can download the files that I use from here:

https://we.tl/t-vz2nYrRcZD

This link will be active for 7 days.
Thank You Very Much Indeed.

russellsnr

Hi, Sorry but I am still struggling with this, I have follwed the instructions and the app opens but when I try to Transcode/Import I get error message 'Could not open file: C:/users/name/Desktop/IMG_2138.MLV. I have tried both the 32bit and 64bit MLVApp, in the 32bit I do not even get the option to Transcode/Import as I do in the 64bit under the File menu. Below is what I have downloaded and shows same content on both downloads. I asssume the app will open RAW CR2 files?

IDA_ML

Please try again following EXACTLY the instructions that I gave you in my post #5 above!  Also make sure that there is a valid MLV file called IMG_2138.MLV on your Desktop and it was generated in your Canon camera if you want MLVApp to open it.  Your file name looks strange to me.  If generated by your camera, it should look like M21-2138.MLV or similar.  Did you rename it?  Just record a short MLV video file in your camera, move it to your desktop and try again. 

If you use the Transcode and Import option to pack your stills .CR2 files into MLV files for opening in MLVApp, just wait for the transcoding process to finish.  This can take quite a while if you have lots of CR2 files in your directory!  If it still does not work, please use the 32-bit RAW2MLV package with the 64-bit version of MLVApp.

I have exactly the same files in my MLVApp directory as you.  Just checked and it works perfectly here!

russellsnr

Hi, Thankyou for trying to help. The images I have are Canon RAW CR2 files taken with MagicLantern Dual ISO invoked not video files so maybe that is my problem as I only shoot stills no video. Thankyou again.

Danne

Use raw2mlv binary directly?
On a sidenote. How about an online raw2mlv service  :P? @ili3101, @masc

IDA_ML

Quote from: russellsnr on March 22, 2020, 05:11:55 PM
The images I have are Canon RAW CR2 files taken with MagicLantern Dual ISO invoked not video files so maybe that is my problem as I only shoot stills no video. Thankyou again.

I don't know what you are doing wrong and can't help you further but don't give up!  Keep trying! Just try with a short MLV video and then with a few Non Dual ISO files first to see how it works and to get the idea.  Once you get it working this way, play around with the settings and see the results, I am sure, you will never go back to LR.  MLVApp is extremely powerful - please watch the video tutorial linked on the first page of the MLVApp thread.  Again, stills CR2 file processing, including Dual ISO stills, works very well here, it's also very user friendly, you can easily copy settings from one file to the other and is pretty fast too, even on laptops. 

Good luck!

Sapporo

Quote from: russellsnr on March 20, 2020, 02:22:37 PM
Hi, In the middle or was in the middle of moving back to the UK but with the problems we are facing that has been put on hold, I normally use the Lightroom plugin to convert my dual iso files but that computer has been packed away but I have a small lap top running Windows 10 so where please can I download the stand alone version of the converting software for a Windows 10 computer. Thankyou.
I have been using Barracuda GUI for Windows https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9102.0

IDA_ML

For those of you who wish to see what to expect from MLVApp with processing Dual ISO CR2 stills and MLV videos, here are a few test files:

https://we.tl/t-X7jUiDmcx6

This link will be active for the next 7 days.

I would like to thank again all developers involved in MLVApp development for giving us this absolutely amazing tool.

Walter Schulz

And besides all what is written above: Adobe allows two activated LR installations. You are not allowed to run them at the same time, though.

IDA_ML

And finally, what works always - the good old stand alone CR2HDR package:

https://builds.magiclantern.fm/utilities.html

It converts the Dual ISO CR2 files into DNGs, compatible with ACR and therefore LR and PS.  Compared to other HDR techniques, it provides very naturally looking images.  You just copy the three files from the package into your Dual ISO CR2 folder, drag and drop the CR2 files onto the cr2hdr.exe and it does all the conversion work for you automatically.  Thank you, A1ex, for this fantastic tool!