5D2 2.7K footage, Guangdong China

Started by york824, March 20, 2020, 06:54:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

york824

It has been a difficult time for all of us in our country. Had to stay home for an entire month but I am glad things are getting back altogether slowly.

Anyway since I am staying withing the community where I live I got more time to play with the very old 5D2.

I have used a few lens in this video and the Helios 44-2 58MM F2 is very soft. But it's just for fun so I don't mind much.

yourboylloyd

Beautiful shots! I was thinking that the images was going to be super blurry but they were way sharper than I ever got on my helios 44-2! Was this helios 44-2 modded? i don't think I've ever seen a copy of that lens give such a wide range of perspectives in one video. I was a little worried when I was that some of the sky was over exposed in the beginning of the video, but as we moved past those everything was breath taking!

Can you explain your setup/process a little more? It actually helps inspire people (me included) even when they don't comment on the forums.

Join the ML discord! https://discord.gg/H7h6rfq

IDA_ML

Beautiful shots, indeed.  I would just add a little more contrast.  The nice thing about these old vintage lenses is the fact that, beeing fairly soft,  they seem to totally suppress aliasing without seriously affecting image sharpness and fine detail.  In my experience, using such lenses is the best and most efficient way to suppress this ugly phenomenon.

york824

Quote from: yourboylloyd on March 20, 2020, 09:50:39 AM
Beautiful shots! I was thinking that the images was going to be super blurry but they were way sharper than I ever got on my helios 44-2! Was this helios 44-2 modded? i don't think I've ever seen a copy of that lens give such a wide range of perspectives in one video. I was a little worried when I was that some of the sky was over exposed in the beginning of the video, but as we moved past those everything was breath taking!

Can you explain your setup/process a little more? It actually helps inspire people (me included) even when they don't comment on the forums.

Thank you.
I may have mislead you a bit sorry for that :P. Actually I had used 3 lenses in total in this video:
1. Helios 44-2 58MM F2
2. Super Takumar 28MM F3.5
3. A modded Canon EF-S 18-55MM F3.5-F5.6 (this is a APSC lens but someone modded it to be used in fullframe camera)

I think I have used each lens for the same amount of footage and the Helios one definitely produces the softest images so I have to add more sharpening in post.
Out of the three lenses I prefer the Super Takumar very much as it is quite sharp and the color seems most pleasing. The Canon APSC lens is the sharpest but there is a lot of purple fringing and I don't really know how to deal with them in Davinci Resolve.

My process is quite simple though. I use MLV App to convert the MLV files to CinemaDNGs, and import them to Davinci Resolve for editing and color-grading.
The difficult part for me is to learn the basics of Davinci Resolve and I am still very new to this apparently extremely powerful software. I'm glad there are tons of tutorials on the Internet for free.

york824

Quote from: IDA_ML on March 20, 2020, 10:30:31 AM
Beautiful shots, indeed.  I would just add a little more contrast.  The nice thing about these old vintage lenses is the fact that, beeing fairly soft,  they seem to totally suppress aliasing without seriously affecting image sharpness and fine detail.  In my experience, using such lenses is the best and most efficient way to suppress this ugly phenomenon.
Thanks!
I totally agree. Vintage lens are magical especially shooting videos. The only downside is I have to use a monopod to stabilize otherwise the footage would look extremely shaky.

Luther

Very good. Really like the last scene. Good music choice too.
Nature carries on as if nothing is happening, as always.
Stay safe @york824 !

york824

Quote from: Luther on March 21, 2020, 06:55:35 AM
Very good. Really like the last scene. Good music choice too.
Nature carries on as if nothing is happening, as always.
Stay safe @york824 !
Thank you. Being out and shooting is also a way to calm myself down during this difficult time. Hope everybody stay safe.

dlprod

Great video. Which build did you use?

york824