Canon EOS M + 5D Mark II | 2x & 1.33x Anamorphic RAW Video

Started by ZEEK, March 15, 2020, 10:25:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZEEK

Haven't tested 2x anamorphic in a while so I gave it a go with the EOS M, whilst I tested full frame anamorphic 1.33x on the 5D2. Enjoy!
https://youtu.be/11ni_5Aqkr8
Gear Used:
Canon EOS M + Mosty SC43 2x Anamorphic Adapter [Gold] + Nikkor Ai 50mm f2 & Viltrox speedbooster
Canon 5D Mark II + SLR Magic Anamorphot Compact 40 1.33x Adapter + Rollei HFT Planar 50mm f1.4
Tripod, FOTGA 77mm ND

Settings:
EOS M: 24fps, 1/47, ISO 100, WB5600k, 2K Resolution 4:3
5D2: 24fps, 1/48, ISO 100, WB5600K, 1856x1044, 16:9

EOS M

Luther

Nice one. Did you do something different on the last scenes (train)? It has better dynamic range and less moire than all the others...
I like the anamorphic effect, but it does decrease fine details quite a lot. Some points: most scenes has too much contrast, while others has agressive highlight flattening. There's also this strange artifact, might be dead pixels:

ZEEK

I tested a different SD card for the EOS M. It is an SDXC, so micro SD into an SD Adapter. There were a few pink frames I was getting and aliasing in 2.5K Mode @2K.
None of this would have happened with the SanDisk Extreme PRO. I just wanted to test another SD for fun (Samsung EVO).

As for the flower scene, the flower was super bright for some reason so I decreased the luminance of the red value.

It's what you get get with vintage anamorphic lenses and vintage glass, reduced detail. The contrast look was something I was going for to make it look a bit more cine.

With the train scene, I aimed to crush a bit more shadow in order to cut off the highlights, in the previous train scenes, I didn't do this, I intended to let a few highlights blow out, so I could keep most of the shadows clean. So, it's a matter of choice I guess, or just use a cpl or something 😉👍
EOS M

yourboylloyd

Zeek you are a god! I wish I could hire you for projects... I've always wanted to shoot 4:3 anamorphic because I love 16x9 footage. Next time on the 5D when you shoot anamorphic, can you shoot in 1856x1248? I'm particularly interested in this setup.

I really wish I could tell which camera was which. That was amazing. From the colors to the image quality. Well done!
Join the ML discord! https://discord.gg/H7h6rfq

ZEEK

2x adapters are special. The Eos m footage is pretty much all the way up to 2:35 (no pun intended)  ;)
The 5D2 is all onwards.

I'll try it out see how it goes. The thing is these 2x adapters are made for 16mm format so using it with full frame will be a big jump, but it's definitely worth a go!
Cheers! 😎👍
EOS M

Luther

Quote from: ZEEK on March 16, 2020, 03:59:02 AM
As for the flower scene, the flower was super bright for some reason so I decreased the luminance of the red value.
I meant these artifacts ZEEK:

ZEEK

ah right, didn't see them...It's probably the white level in MLV APP set to 14000 and then the highlights pushed beyond the Dynamic Range, exceeding the limit.
EOS M

IDA_ML

Zeek,

Am I right by saying that using these old vintage adapters and lenses is the best way to suppress aliasing?  In my experience, I have not found a better way to fight this ugly phenomenon yet.  Excellent work, as always and no aliasing at all!

ZEEK

100% Sharper the lens, then...you know, unless shooting wide open. Pro-mist filters e.g. 1/4 & 1/2 should help as well.

Aliasing in 2.5,K Mode is less than the MCM rewire 1080, and the 2x adapter with a speedbooster helps to compensate for the large crop I'm 2.5K Mode.  Cheers! 😉👍
EOS M