NASA contest finalist film

Started by marius.k, March 06, 2020, 11:08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marius.k

Hi!

I just wanted to share a short film that we've made two years ago for NASA short film contest. We shot it on a 5D3 with magic lantern raw and canon and nikon lenses (mostly canon 20mm f2.8, canon 50mm f1.8 and nikkor 85mm f1.8 ). We had many locations and many days of shooting and since this was a no budget project, renting a cinema camera was out of the question. So we just shot it on 5D3 on a glidecam mostly. Anyway, I think that the result came out really nice and we even made it to finals out of hundreds of submissions from all over the world.

So I just wanted to thank magic lantern for making this possible. Grading film was really easy and the dynamic range is incredible for such camera.

Here's the film:

Let me know your thoughts and if you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask!

Best wishes,
Marius
http://vimeo.com/mariuskrivicius

Danne

Beautiful shot, masterful grading. Good work.

Dmytro_ua

Really good job.

Why didn't you enable highlights reconstruction to avoid pink artifacts?
5d3 1.2.3 | Canon 16-35 4.0L | Canon 50 1.4 | Canon 100mm 2.8 macro
Ronin-S | Feelworld F6 PLUS

allemyr

Quote from: Dmytro_ua on March 07, 2020, 09:37:56 PM
Really good job.

I wouldnt call that artifact. The highlights is towards pink in the shot but its not artifacts. I think it looks good!

Beautiful story! Great image!

marius.k

Thank you for kind words!

Quote from: Dmytro_ua on March 07, 2020, 09:37:56 PM
Really good job.

Those were not artifacts, the highlights were pushed to pink in color grading.

Quote from: allemyr on March 08, 2020, 01:35:45 PM
I wouldnt call that artifact. The highlights is towards pink in the shot but its not artifacts. I think it looks good!

Beautiful story! Great image!

Thanks! And you are totally right! The highlights were pushed to pink not only in this shot, but also in some others with blown out sky.

Luther

God damn, how beautiful. You made me cry here. This is the best work I've seem using MLV ever posted on this forum. If someone said to me that it was directed by Christopher Nolan using Alexa I would completely believe it.
Also, props to the soundtrack composer and sound editing guy. Masterful craft here.

marius.k

Quote from: Luther on March 09, 2020, 03:37:56 AM
God damn, how beautiful. You made me cry here. This is the best work I've seem using MLV ever posted on this forum. If someone said to me that it was directed by Christopher Nolan using Alexa I would completely believe it.
Also, props to the soundtrack composer and sound editing guy. Masterful craft here.

Thank you for such kind words, Luther! Yeah, we were very happy to have an amazing composer on board. If you're interested here are some more of his works: https://soundcloud.com/robert-meyer

Dmitriy84759

It is really amazing movie! Beautiful shots, great composition, music, scenery, lights, colors and other post-processing things! Please could you tell more about your post-processing process?

Frayfray

wow that video is the beast ,quality cine shots and angles

wib

Wow I had not the chance to watch, it's incredible ! Regardless of the acting, editing, music, writing, it feels a lot like a 35 mm camera !  the way the camera balance, the low contrast... The grain you added, the nice warm highlights ! This is candy for the eyes and ears !
EOS 5D3 123 crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2020Dec11.5D3123

Hari

Wow! This has to be one of the best things I've seen shot on a 5D3!

uberaffen

Nicely done :) you like Terrence Malick obviously.  Amazing what can be done with this setup.

edo_marche

Beautiful! Can I ask you the settings that you have used?