5D Mark II Bricked?

Started by 66dellwood, March 02, 2020, 07:53:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

66dellwood

Email of shame...   Was back from an underwater shoot disassembling a lot of gear.  My feeble excuse.   Until now, camera and CF card were in excellent working order order.

My ML CF card was out of the camera while working on some settings.   Forgot to turn the camera off and inserted the CF card with ML while the camera was on.  Closed the door and the camera stayed off.  Camera would not power up with the CF card inserted.

Initially the camera would power on with full functioning menu without the CF card inserted   I got a "No Card" message when powering ON without the card.   I just could not get the camera to power on with the CF card inserted.

I removed the main battery and the time/date battery and let it sit for several hours.  With no battery installed I flipped the power switch between ON and OFF a few times.

Installed a new/fresh time date battery and a good fully charged main battery.  Nothing.   No power with the CF card installed and now no power either with the CF card holder empty.

To make matters worse the 5D2 just went of service with Canon a few weeks ago.  They are not accepting the camera any longer for servicing that would require parts.  If it only needs a firmware flash, they may be willing to do that.   Too much underwater gear to switch away from the 5D2.

Suggestions (other than eBay)?

Jim

Walter Schulz

Copy extracted ML build files to card.
Remove battery, Insert card and battery. Close compartment doors.
Try to power on.
Report back results.

66dellwood

Quote from: Walter Schulz on March 02, 2020, 08:23:12 PM
...Copy extracted ML build files to card.....

Thanks much WS.   

Want to make sure I have the above process correct.  So treat the card as I would a ML update? 

Do or should I need to use a different CF card than the one used when the issue started?

My process for a new ML build:
Go to ML downloads; click on Browse nightly builds/select 5D2, then:
•   Simply delete your old Magic Lantern files from your card and copy the new ones.
•   You can keep your configuration files (the ML/SETTINGS directory from your card).

Walter Schulz

For this special case I suggest to backup ML/Settings directory, delete ML dir (all of it) and autoexec.bin. Then just copy ML content (including autoexec.bin) to card.

66dellwood

Quote from: Walter Schulz on March 02, 2020, 10:23:40 PM
For this special case I suggest to backup ML/Settings directory, delete ML dir (all of it) and autoexec.bin. Then just copy ML content (including autoexec.bin) to card.

thanks again.  The Lexar card is a couple years old but was working fine.  OK to use it for this exercise?  I recall reading that my type of incompetent action can ruin the CF card under certain circumstances.

Will give this a shot later tonight.

Jim

Walter Schulz

I'd would rather care about your 5D2. This cam can indeed be damaged by improper card handling.

66dellwood

Quote from: Walter Schulz on March 02, 2020, 10:55:06 PM
I'd would rather care about your 5D2. This cam can indeed be damaged by improper card handling.

agreed, I don't want to do any further damage to the camera if the card is shot.  I thought I may have damaged the CF card itself when I first screwed up (I could care less about further damage to the card).

66dellwood

WS:  it worked.  Walter, I can' thank you enough.  The original CF card did not work with the fresh install of ML.  I had a few other CF cards that were formatted on the camera and one of those worked fine with a new ML install.   I am reluctant to put the initial CF card back in the camera and will upgrade to a new one of suitable size and speed for ML.

thanks again,
Jim

yourboylloyd

Quote from: 66dellwood on March 03, 2020, 03:47:09 AM
WS:  it worked.   

Hey I know that your problem is resolved, but you may want to make sure that your CF pins are properly aligned too. This issue sounds like a the same one that I had with the 5D2 last week because I had a bent pin.
Join the ML discord! https://discord.gg/H7h6rfq

66dellwood

Thanks.   Canon USA Service suggested the same.  Pins look OK.

Much appreciated.    Like Narcan for an overdose of stupidity.    Thanks Walter.