Force display rotation? (Canon 70D)

Started by lizard™, December 02, 2018, 03:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lizard™

I sometimes have my 70D on a tripod, with me in front of it, while the camera is pointing down. It really annoys me though how the image only flips when the LCD is angled perfectly at 180°, and not at an angle that I need to use, which is more like 130°. Is there an ML setting/option/tweak/script that can either change this (to flip at 100° and beyond) or force a specific rotation?

The UpsideDown mode (in Display settings) is useful, but when enabled and the LCD is at 170°+, the display flips again and becomes useless. Ideally, I'd like to lock-in a specific orientation.

a1ex

In the same Display menu, there is a setting where you can manually choose the orientation: Normal/Mirror/Reverse. These are the names used in Canon firmware. The UpsideDown mode is a software implementation, and doesn't work very well if you ask me (it has redraw issues).

Otherwise, I'm afraid I don't fully understand the request. Can you provide a video showing when the display should flip?

Triggering display flips/mirrors at some arbitrary angle may require looking into the level indicator, i.e. a custom feature. Or maybe some Lua API functions could do the trick. The only issue - level indicator data is not always available, and requesting it during photo capture wasn't exactly a pleasant experience from me (ERR70), but that was some years ago.

lizard™

Quote from: a1ex on December 02, 2018, 05:50:40 PM
In the same Display menu, there is a setting where you can manually choose the orientation: Normal/Mirror/Reverse. These are the names used in Canon firmware. The UpsideDown mode is a software implementation, and doesn't work very well if you ask me (it has redraw issues).

Otherwise, I'm afraid I don't fully understand the request. Can you provide a video showing when the display should flip?

Triggering display flips/mirrors at some arbitrary angle may require looking into the level indicator, i.e. a custom feature. Or maybe some Lua API functions could do the trick. The only issue - level indicator data is not always available, and requesting it during photo capture wasn't exactly a pleasant experience from me (ERR70), but that was some years ago.

I've set the orientation to "Normal" (which is the desired one I want) and it works fine in the ML menu, exiting the menu it still works but as soon as I do anything (even pressing the menu button) the orientation changes back to "Reverse", same goes when I move the display.

I'm asking if there's a way to lock the orientation I set in the ML menu, as in, no matter how much I rotate the display after setting it, it will stay at what I selected.

fizzytaken

Hi,
Same issue on 60D, somme answer ?

Regards

sahrenity

Same issue? Any tips???
Thank you in advance