Canon EOS 600D => Install Magic Lantern => Video record duration?

Started by newbiegeek, February 23, 2020, 04:17:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newbiegeek

Hello,

Could you please confirm if i install Magic Lantern in my Canon EOS 600D => How long can i record a video?

When i check the version of  firmwarein my canon is indicate 1.0.0

Anyone know a recent tutorial in Youtube how to install Magic Lantern?

Anyone face any issue after install Magic Lantern

Thank a lot for your help

Walter Schulz

Recording durations:
- H.264
  Continuous for 29:59. ML can force immediate restart but frames will be lost.
- RAW/MLV
  No duration limit but battery/card capacity.
  Because 600D offers just 20 MByte/s continuous data rate resolution/frame rates are very, very limited. See https://rawcalculator.netlify.com/calculator_desktop
- USB-/HDMI-Streaming
  No limit with experimental lua_fix build.

Install:
- Top of page -> Downloads -> Download Nightly Build ->  600D / Rebel T3i
If there is something wrong with this short install instructions we would like to hear.

Issues:
- Yes. Read disclaimer!

newbiegeek

Quote from: Walter Schulz on February 23, 2020, 07:37:40 PM
Recording durations:
- RAW/MLV
  Because 600D offers just 20 MByte/s continuous data rate resolution/frame rates are very, very limited. See https://rawcalculator.netlify.com/calculator_desktop
- USB-/HDMI-Streaming
  No limit with experimental lua_fix build.

Thanks for taking the time to answer

Could you please explain what is " RAW and MLV" means?
When u say "  No duration limit but battery/card capacity" => regarding the battery capacity, i can buy a power adapter so my canon will always have power

newbiegeek

Regarding the card capacity => which capacity do you recommend for a canon EOS600D in order to record video a long time?

*USB-/HDMI-Streaming
  No limit with experimental lua_fix build => do you know where i can find a tutorial with this technic? in my  canon EOS600D i see a "HDMI OUT"

Walter Schulz

Quote from: newbiegeek on February 23, 2020, 10:43:09 PM
Could you please explain what is " RAW and MLV" means?
You may want to use a search engine of your choice.

Quote from: newbiegeek on February 23, 2020, 10:43:09 PM
When u say "  No duration limit but battery/card capacity" => regarding the battery capacity, i can buy a power adapter so my canon will always have power
That's what I meant.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: newbiegeek on February 23, 2020, 10:45:31 PM
Regarding the card capacity => which capacity do you recommend for a canon EOS600D in order to record video a long time?

If you want maximum recording duration you may want to use a 1 TB card. I have no experience with that variety. My largest cards store 128 GB.

Quote from: newbiegeek on February 23, 2020, 10:45:31 PM
*USB-/HDMI-Streaming
  No limit with experimental lua_fix build => do you know where i can find a tutorial with this technic? in my  canon EOS600D i see a "HDMI OUT"

Search for "HDMI recording" or "HDMI streaming" or "DSLR streaming" within a search engine of your choice.
For starters you can connect this HDMI out to any TV and/or monitor offering a HDMI connector. Canon's EOS Utility offers basic liveview via USB.

newbiegeek

it's strange i don't receive notification of the replies

Thank for the feedback

My canon 600D has the  firmware version 1.0.0

When i go to Canon website to upgrade the firmware version, the link below indicates a version of 1.0.3

https://canoncanadafr.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/1016388/~/mise-%C3%A0-jour-du-micrologiciel-eos-600d-%2F-eos-rebel-t3i%2C-version-1.0.3-%5Bwindows%5D

Is it ok to upgrade at 1.0.3 then install Magic Lantern or i can skip the upgrade firmware version and install Magic Lantern directly?

I also read on YT comments that the SD card has to be a SDHC not SDXC chip, could you please confirm?

yourboylloyd

Quote from: newbiegeek on February 29, 2020, 03:56:07 PM
it's strange i don't receive notification of the replies

Is it ok to upgrade at 1.0.3 then install Magic Lantern or i can skip the upgrade firmware version and install Magic Lantern directly?

I also read on YT comments that the SD card has to be a SDHC not SDXC chip, could you please confirm?

1. Do not upgrade to 1.0.3. On the Magic Lantern website, only firmware version 1.0.2 is supported.

2. You will need a standard SD card, SD / SDHC / SDXC. (Don't use an EyeFi card or similar). (see https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13111.msg126794#msg126794)

Join the ML discord! https://discord.gg/H7h6rfq

newbiegeek

Quote from: yourboylloyd on February 29, 2020, 04:59:32 PM
1. Do not upgrade to 1.0.3. On the Magic Lantern website, only firmware version 1.0.2 is supported.

Thank u so much for the warning!!!!

I  installed sucessfully Magic Lantern in my SDXC 32go  and in my Canon EOS 600D

When i try to film/record in video mode, after 5 sec there is a message " Framed skipped.stopping => Busy please wait" => what the issue?

In YT comment, i read this " Do you know how to set it where it records for an hour straight without it stopping please" => You have to download the Magic Lanter Lua build, not the nightly build!
=>Could you please confirm?

Many thanks for your help

Luther

Quote from: newbiegeek on February 29, 2020, 05:50:38 PM
When i try to film/record in video mode, after 5 sec there is a message " Framed skipped.stopping => Busy please wait" => what the issue?
Your SD card is not fast enough for the video bitrate. You can decrease bitrate on the "Movie" menu. I recommend set CBR 1.3x and see if it works. If not, decreate to the baseline (CBR 1.0).

Walter Schulz

Quote from: newbiegeek on February 29, 2020, 05:50:38 PM
In YT comment, i read this " Do you know how to set it where it records for an hour straight without it stopping please" => You have to download the Magic Lanter Lua build, not the nightly build!
=>Could you please confirm?
Already answered in first reply.

newbiegeek

Quote from: Luther on February 29, 2020, 10:30:38 PM
Your SD card is not fast enough for the video bitrate. You can decrease bitrate on the "Movie" menu. I recommend set CBR 1.3x and see if it works. If not, decreate to the baseline (CBR 1.0).

Thank, i applied your advice and i could film for 30 min with the SDXC 32go

When i plug the SDXC 32go card in my computer (not mac book or laptop), i look in the folder "DCIM=> 100CANON" i see  a lot of file "type"  as MLV, TMP and  M00 to M06

I look in Youtube to search for answer but i'm confused, how can i use all this file in order to have "one file/one video"?

The video i film with my canon EOS 600D using Magic Lantern is to upload in my YT channel

Thank a lot for your help

masc

Quote from: newbiegeek on March 01, 2020, 12:11:56 PM
I look in Youtube to search for answer but i'm confused, how can i use all this file in order to have "one file/one video"?
This should be your mistake. Don't search in youtube. Search in this forum. This question was answered (it feels like) a million times. For these filetypes: all is as expected.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

newbiegeek

Quote from: masc on March 01, 2020, 12:16:15 PM
This should be your mistake. Don't search in youtube. Search in this forum. This question was answered (it feels like) a million times.

Thank for your feedback, i agreed with you but as a newbie  the " visual, video  " tutorial is "usually" better in order to help understand and see how to make it works

U are right i will look in the forum if i can find answer

newbiegeek

Quote from: Walter Schulz on February 29, 2020, 10:48:35 PM
Already answered in first reply.

Thank Walter

I checked your first reply
" RAW/MLV
  Because 600D offers just 20 MByte/s continuous data rate resolution/frame rates are very, very limited. See https://rawcalculator.netlify.com/calculator_desktop"

That means "no need to  download the Magic Lanter Lua build,   the nightly build is enough?"

I test with the SDXC 32go, i could film for 30min

I will test with the SDXC 128go

Walter Schulz

H.264: Canon's native H.264 implementation. Generates MOV file format.
RAW/MLV: ML's raw format. Generating MLV files. (*.MLV, *.M00, M01, etc ... if 4GB limit applies).