Canon EOS R5 / R6

Started by SiSS, February 15, 2020, 01:53:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stillinsane

Quote from: yourboylloyd on September 08, 2020, 07:12:52 PM
Yes you can help if you have firmware version 1.0.0. I'll give you some steps below on how to perform a ROM dump.

Do you need 1.0 for the R5 as well or has this already been dumped?

visionrouge.net

Canon Just released a Firmware V1.1.1 for R5 and R6

Be aware of possible lock down on my hack finding last Sunday.
Even if I think it will be a very fast answer to roll out a firmware in only 3 days, that's still a possibility.

At least, it may be able to do a file comparison between V1.1.0 et V1.1.1 to see what changed is any.

yourboylloyd

Quote from: Walter Schulz on September 08, 2020, 05:35:00 PM
No offence but would you mind recording a video following the steps shown in video provided by EOSHD?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VUOchC3jeSj9sUlN3IOK36qsiA5N0ysy/view?usp=sharing

It only works with a battery door hack or a dummy battery. I've tried doing this at least 20 times as shown on EOSHD.

Quote from: stillinsane on September 09, 2020, 08:28:54 AM
Do you need 1.0 for the R5 as well or has this already been dumped?

Yes I believe that would be helpful. I think we only dumped 1.1

Quote from: visionrouge.net on September 09, 2020, 10:24:34 AM

Even if I think it will be a very fast answer to roll out a firmware in only 3 days, that's still a possibility.

At least, it may be able to do a file comparison between V1.1.0 et V1.1.1 to see what changed is any.

Interesting. Keep us updated
Join the ML discord! https://discord.gg/H7h6rfq

Lars Steenhoff

Are downgrades possible ? or are they blocked

Walter Schulz

yourboylloyd

Quote from: Lars Steenhoff on September 09, 2020, 10:52:15 AM

There is nothing to downgrade to on the R6. If we had the firmware file for a previous version then maybe this hack would work. It may actually work for the R5 since there are multiple firmwares available now.

I wouldn't risk it though. The R6 is a perfect camera for me right now (unless canon implements a better CLog).

Walter Schulz

Quote from: Lars Steenhoff on September 09, 2020, 10:52:15 AM

As yourboylloyd wrote: For R6 it is not possible from within Canon's menu because there is no firmware file available for the version before.
For R5: Requires testing. I doubt they blocked all downgrade options but this is just my very personal opinion not based on actual facts.

71m363nd3r

Quote from: visionrouge.net on September 09, 2020, 10:24:34 AM

Thats the reason that I asked on the first post about this issue.

VforVideo

I just drew attention to a strange thing, in the video mode on the R6 you cannot transfer the setting to c1 c2 c3, but in the photo mode you can. Firmware 1.1.1. Owner of R5, could you please check if you can transfer video modes to C1, etc?

Lars Steenhoff

https://www.cined.com/canon-interview-r5-and-r6-overheating-questions-answered/?fbclid=IwAR3Gcl1dvLQxcXxTcXdhSP5P2lYpAuctorK5X77ATTZXAaZeLePsOHIpfBY

From this interview with canon:

Holding a very warm object for an extended period has the potential to result in what is known as low temperature burns.

This explains the timers, the camera can handle much higher temperatures than are comfortable for the human body.
Put the camera on a tripod or use heat resistant gloves ad you will be fine :)

IDA_ML

Quote from: yourboylloyd on September 09, 2020, 10:57:21 AM
The R6 is a perfect camera for me right now (unless canon implements a better CLog).

I have a few questions to you or anyone else who can comment on them.  How does R6 4k video filmed in PR 422, 10-bits compare to 5D3 RAW video filmed at 14/12-bits lossless in terms of image quality?  Have you made such comparisons or have you seen them on the net?  What do you mean by "better C-log"?  Is the current one not good enough?  How about the filmic look - doesn't R6 video look too digital?  Now that you have the R6, don't you miss ML RAW video? 

Personally, I think that the R6 will become the "perfect camera" if one day we see ML on it but this is just me and my dreams.

wib

I'm curious to find comparisons too. that's the only step stopping me to switch from
5D3 with MLRAW to R6
EOS 5D3 123 crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2020Dec11.5D3123

70MM13

there are two kinds of video shooters today (with regard to the topic of raw):
those who love the capabilities and nearly infinite flexibility of working with raw, and those who hate it and get headaches from it.

the limitations of working with log footage will always be inferior to raw for the first category of shooter.

in the end it probably hinges on one's primary motivation.  is it more about ease of use and/or quick turnaround time, or perhaps about achieving a desired (artistic) appearance/evocative effect?

the answer of course is entirely individual, so the chances are you already know for yourself :)

for me the quality of the pixels outweighs their number.

plus, i just love working with magic lantern.  after all these years it just feels like home.  i can't imagine a canon camera without it! ;)

EOSHD

If anyone is not seeing the reset happen on EOS R5/R6, try it a second time

https://www.eoshd.com/news/canon-eos-r5-8k-stress-test-1-no-problem-with-timer-reset-so-far/

Most of the time I find it takes two goes.

Maybe you have to pull the battery within a certain amount of time.

A nice reaction game to play in the middle of a shoot  :D

yourboylloyd

Quote from: IDA_ML on September 11, 2020, 07:59:39 AM
I have a few questions to you or anyone else who can comment on them.         

How does R6 4k video filmed in PR 422, 10-bits compare to 5D3 RAW video filmed at 14/12-bits lossless in terms of image quality? Have you made such comparisons or have you seen them on the net?
I working on a side by side test of this. But honestly, the 10bit on the R6 is pretty amazing. Of course RAW would be better, but it's still 10x better than regular h.264. I am used to grading ML footage in adobe camera raw so the workflows are drastically different. But it's way better to be able to edit the footage right out of camera. And there is extremely good shadow recovery. I've been 4 stops under exposed and there is almost no noise when I bring the image back up to EV0. A huge one is that I can also adjust the white balance of the video in post pretty accurately with the little dropper tool and no quality degradation.

The R6 does not shoot in ProRes though. The R6 uses HEVC instead of Prores.

What do you mean by "better C-log"? Is the current one not good enough?
I've used Clog1 Clog 2 and Clog3 in the past on other cameras. Clog3 better uses the full dynamic range of the sensor. Here is an extreme example taken on clog1 on the R6:

I've shot the sun and the ocean in clog1. Now obviously, the sun is going to be completely blown out regardless of what I film at. But in the clip, the highlights only go to about 80% of the highest color information. The shadows only go down to 10%. I call this "too flat" and this is an extreme example. Most of the time, the shadows and highlights are usually within 60% of each other in clog1. When using clog3, these numbers are spread a lot more on the spectrum. Shooting on the c300 mark 3  in clog3, there is NO POINT in shooting RAW via HDMI. Clog 3 is that powerful to me.

But I will say that it is good enough. I've actually never been able to manipulate footage to such quality so fast before.

How about the filmic look - doesn't R6 video look too digital?

It depends on what you mean. When think of "Filmic" look, I think of imperfections. Maybe a little softness on lenses, or maybe random grain. High contrast. Good dynamic range. And stuff like that. But then when I see shows like Breaking Bad that was shot 100% on film, I feel like that is super digital looking with amazing dynamic range. But it was shot on film.

There are a lot of ways to make digital look like film, and film look like digital. The Alexa's and RED's are known for there dynamic range and ability to push to make look like film. But nowadays, that dynamic range exists on basic cams like these. The Sigma FP can produce some amazing footage that can be converted to look like film. I truly believe that with some tinkering, one could make the R6 look like film.

The biggest downside is that the R6 also films in IPB mode though and not ALL-I (which lowers the quality by compression). It's not too noticeable to me, but I'm sure there will be artifacts if I were inches away from an 80" screen. 

Now that you have the R6, don't you miss ML RAW video?
Actually not really (which is surprising me). I thought I would be switching back and forth between my 5D and the R6 on shoots, but you CANNOT beat the autofocus system on the R6. I was shooting a model on an EF 100mm f/2 lens and she was in moving around a lot. BUT SHE WAS IN FOCUS THE ENTIRE TIME! Every single frame, here eyes were sharp. The IBIS also was perfect for handholding 100mm. No matter how good Magic Lantern gets on the old cameras, it can't beat such features.Of course being able to PLAYBACK the footage on set is also huge. The zebras are helpful too, just as helpful as the magic lantern zebras.

Personally, I think that the R6 will become the "perfect camera" if one day we see ML on it but this is just me and my dreams.

Me too. I mean honestly if they can find a way to implement RAW HD on this camera then I would be happy (RAW 4K probably isn't possible due to slow SD card rates). But there is RAW light that can probably handle it. Of course I'm sure MLV can handle it too. I couldn't imagine what you devs could do with a 300MB/s write speed. It would be 100% the perfect camera if it had ALL-I recording with Clog3. Right now it's at about a 95% to me. But for being $2,500 plus a cheap $50 EF adapter (which works perfectly btw) it's basically perfect to me. I'm probably going to be using this camera for the next 10 years comfortably. I'm actually impressed with Canon's new battery too. It def lasts longer then the regular LP-E6 batteries. The new battery even works for my 5D!

TLDR: I would basically call the R6's clog1 9.5bit footage (Not full 10bit if that makes sense). More than double the dynamic range of regular h264, but still not using the camera's full capabilities. The autofocus and ibis are to die for though. I never realized how much I needed autofocus. I can properly look at the footage and see things that shouldn't be there instead of worrying about racking focus at the right time.

Edit: Something that I want to try is making a video in 20fps photo burst mode. The photos are 16bit (a bit overkill but sweet) but still 4fps too slow to make the smooth 24fps. Maybe I can shoot a music video and slow the song down to 0.83x, then interpret the footage as 24fps. Open gate (4:3), 5.4K, and 16bit! I can't imagine what that would look like.

IDA_ML

Yourboylloyd,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide this detailed and very useful information.  I agree that perfect focus and IBIS are much more important for the final result than a slight quality degradation which is the price to pay for not filming in RAW. 

A short comment on your intention to film a RAW video at 20 fps.  You shouldn't worry about the missing 4 fps since Resolve does a hell of a job compensating for them using the optical flow algorithm.  Please check if there is some dead time between the shots because in that case, you may end up with a choppy video.  Also, as far as I understand, you lose the tracking AF at 20 fps.

yourboylloyd

Okay so I learned something. I tried to compare the R6 in 1920x1080 mode to the 5D2 1880x1268, but the 5D2 footage was coming out sharper (when I nailed the focus that is). Here is the example video stills all shot on Sigma 35mm 1.4 @f/2:

Fullsized image. (Note that accidently captioned 1880p, but it's actually 1880width)
The R6 produces random artifacts in 1080p mode for some reason. This is kind of a bummer to me. I don't know what that is but it happens every few frames. I didn't apply any sharpening or anything. I can confirm that this doesn't happen on the R6 in 4K mode though.

I can't believe I'm saying this but basically the 5D2 RAW is sharper than the R6 in 1080p mode. And I'm not sure what's going on with the artifacts on the R6.

Otherwise: I'm not a hugely master colorist, but I do feel like the color ranges and dynamic range is roughly the same with a shot that has been exposed correctly.  Will do more tests and report back soon

names_are_hard

Could be compression artifacts.  Looks similar to JPEG quantisation.  RAW wouldn't have those.

Grognard

Interesting.  Try to compare 3k or 3,5k raw with 4k from R6. Could be surprising.
Basiquely, a camera like R6 with autofocus and ibis should be usefull for low budget corporate film, interviews.. but not an avantage for an artistic short film where magic lantern should be still a good choice.

a1ex

Memory map for R5/R6 (see also for DIGIC 7 and DIGIC 8):

00001000-00001FFF -> 00000000-00000FFF (-1000) O:NCACH I:WB,WA  P:RW       [ CPU0 only ]
00001000-00001FFF -> 00001000-00001FFF (   +0) O:NCACH I:WB,WA  P:RW       [ CPU1 only ]
00002000-3FFFFFFF -> 00001000-3FFFFFFF (   +0) O:NCACH I:WB,WA  P:RW       [ cacheable RAM - only the first GiB ]
40000000-BEFFFFFF -> 40000000-BEFFFFFF (   +0) O:NCACH I:NCACH  P:RW       [ uncacheable RAM - 2 GiB ]
BF000000-DEFFFFFF -> BF000000-DEFFFFFF (   +0) Device           P:RW XN    [ MMIO area ]
DF000000-DFFFFFFF -> DF000000-DFFFFFFF (   +0) O:NCACH I:WB,WA  P:RW       [ TCM? ]
E0000000-E7FFFFFF -> E0000000-E7FFFFFF (   +0) O:WB,WA I:WB,WA  P:R        [ main ROM ]
E8000000-EFFFFFFF -> E8000000-EFFFFFFF (   +0) Strongly-ordered P:RW XN    [ ? ]
F0000000-F7FFFFFF -> F0000000-F7FFFFFF (   +0) O:WB,WA I:WB,WA  P:R        [ secondary ROM ]
F8000000-FFFFFFFF -> F8000000-FFFFFFFF (   +0) Strongly-ordered P:R  XN    [ ? ]

Created with this script and annotated manually.

nikki

Quote from: names_are_hard on September 12, 2020, 04:38:32 AM
Could be compression artifacts.  Looks similar to JPEG quantisation.  RAW wouldn't have those.

Mostly shooting commercials on film

But also have shot with Alexa (this is around where the 5d3 with ml is)

lorenzo353

Hi camera hackers,

Could you please send me a craw file from R6 ?
Optionnally with dust removal option enabled ?
it is to improve my work at:
https://github.com/lclevy/canon_cr3

Kind regards,

Laurent