Canon EOS R5 / R6

Started by SiSS, February 15, 2020, 01:53:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yourboylloyd

Resolution, IBIS, and Dual Pixel Auto focus means nothing. If it can't do internal RAW at least 10bit then the 5D2 is better that crap.
Join the ML discord! https://discord.gg/H7h6rfq

Stousen

Quote from: yourboylloyd on February 15, 2020, 04:06:49 AM
Resolution, IBIS, and Dual Pixel Auto focus means nothing. If it can't do internal RAW at least 10bit then the 5D2 is better that crap.

:D :P

kitor

Aside from technical improvements, I'll be switching for sure in future (unless they screw something really bad). Missing thumb wheel was hard for me to live with, even if I got used to after a year ;)
I just fear the pricing, as if those are not just marketing words, I believe it will be more expensive that R was.
Too many Canon cameras.
If you have a dead R, RP, 250D mainboard (e.g. after camera repair) and want to donate for experiments, I'll cover shipping costs.

Dmytro_ua

This camera is looking really promising (of course if Canon won't decide to cut rumored functionality).
I won't be a first runner buyer but will definitely save $ to switch from my 5d3 (eye following DPAF and video modes are so lacking in my 5d3 cam..).

5d3 1.2.3 | Canon 16-35 4.0L | Canon 50 1.4 | Canon 100mm 2.8 macro
Ronin-S | Feelworld F6 PLUS

yourboylloyd

Quote from: Dmytro_ua on March 04, 2020, 06:03:51 PM
(eye following DPAF and video modes are so lacking in my 5d3 cam..).

The real reason the 5d2 is better than the 5d3 is because the ZOOM button is on the right side. I have no clue why the 5D3 has the zoom button on the left. That's at least one thing this camera has going for it is the correct ZOOM button placement.

But who knows if it will even matter. DPAutoFocus is apparently so amazing you don't ever need to verify your shots anyway.

Dmytro_ua

Quote from: yourboylloyd on March 05, 2020, 06:14:39 AM
The real reason the 5d2 is better than the 5d3 is because the ZOOM button is on the right side.

It's not an issue at all - check the latest Danne's ML build, it has an amazing fast zoom option in LiveView.

Antony44

My story is interesting. I bought 5DsR. About a month passed and was horrified. Some kind of imperfection, everything is fuzzy, soap, etc., is sold. I bought 5DMarkIV. I took six months, but still thought what happened to DsR? I purchased 5DsR again. Large files are torture, because I shoot a macro, and there are stacks of frames, and returned to 5DMarkIV again, but only for a week. After a week of testing 5DsR, I apologized,, 5DMarkIV passed it to my daughter, and he finally returned to 5DsR and not only returned, but also bought a second 5DsR.  8)

Sportegan

Thanks to me as a beginner, it's very interesting to read all about the Canon R5. I bought it 2 weeks ago and am trying to figure it out.

ilia3101

Quote from: yourboylloyd on March 05, 2020, 06:14:39 AM
The real reason the 5d2 is better than the 5d3 is because the ZOOM button is on the right side. I have no clue why the 5D3 has the zoom button on the left. That's at least one thing this camera has going for it is the correct ZOOM button placement.

YES ARGH!

The 5D3 and 5Ds are so much worse than the 5D2 because of this (probably mark 4 as well). You also have to press the zoom button twice to get any zoom (WTF).

I miss the 5D2, such a great experience.

Dmytro_ua

Quote from: Sportegan on April 12, 2020, 11:33:00 AM
Thanks to me as a beginner, it's very interesting to read all about the Canon R5. I bought it 2 weeks ago and am trying to figure it out.

You were deceived as R5 is not announced yet

kitor

I guess our two new colleagues can't see the difference between EOS 5DS R and EOS R5.
Too many Canon cameras.
If you have a dead R, RP, 250D mainboard (e.g. after camera repair) and want to donate for experiments, I'll cover shipping costs.

kitor

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/explore/product-showcases/cameras-and-lenses/eos-r5
https://www.canonrumors.com/canon-announces-more-mind-blowing-specs-for-the-canon-eos-r5/

Just one quote:
QuoteInternally recorded and uncropped 8K RAW Recording up to 29.97 fps with Dual Pixel CMOS AF, and HDR-PQ Recording (H.265) capability.

Well, price will hurt for sure.

Too many Canon cameras.

yourboylloyd

10 bit 8k internal NON CROPPED WITH A FLIPPY SCREEN??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!? No way.... no freaking way. it doesn't even have 8bit anything....

Sorry guys. This camera is going to pretty much kill ML... unless it's $6,500 body only w/ no batteries, no front cap, no battery cover, no camera strap, no24p, no 25p, and no product box.

Wow... I mean the 120p 4k was good enough to get me. I actually can't believe this. This camera is everything anyone could ever ask for. And look at how small it is!

ZEEK

Yep, this camera has every spec we could ask for right now (except raw, but meh...).
Awesome 8K with Canon Colour Science should be glorious! 
EOS M

yourboylloyd

Quote from: ZEEK on April 21, 2020, 01:26:39 AM
Yep, this camera has every spec we could ask for right now (except raw, but meh...).
Awesome 8K with Canon Colour Science should be glorious!

except RAW? What were you reading? There is literally an entire tab that says 8K internal RAW Recording

ZEEK

Just saw the above sample :o. JEEPERS!! This camera is even more nuts!
EOS M

IDA_ML

Quote from: yourboylloyd on April 20, 2020, 10:38:40 PM
This camera is going to pretty much kill ML...

I don't think so.  If you have to sell your kidney to buy the body and a few lenses for it, especially after the coronavirus crisis, ... I don't think that too many people from the ML community will be able to afford it.

garry23

Like others I've been reading about the announcement from Canon and, of course, it's going to be an incredible camera, especially for professionals.

But, and I think these and big buts, it will be expensive for mere mortals, like myself, and, critically, it will not have one ML killer feature, namely in-camera Lua scripting.

I must say, that extending the scripting API remains an area of ML that could continue to take ML to 'better' things.

Sadly I remain a non-developer.

Cheers and stay safe

Garry

IDA_ML

I fully agree with you, Garry.  The creativity that ML offers and will also offer with our old cameras for free in the future is unbeatable by any camera on the market!

kitor

I just got reminded about CF-to-SATA thread. And I was going to post here that finally we will be able to attach HDDSSD to our cameras, as there are CFast to SATA adapters (CFast is in mostly a fancy connector for SATA).

And then I checked again and it's CFexpress  :o Didn't even notice that there's a new standard already. PCIe v3 x4 / NVME - I wonder if someone will make  m.2 NVME -> CFexpress adapter  ;)
They are a couple of CFexpress -> (m.2 | pcie) adapters, and while I can't find any photo of "the other side" of pcbs, all PCIe traces seems to run directly between connectors.
Too many Canon cameras.

Aperture Science

Quote from: kitor on May 02, 2020, 10:00:43 AM
I just got reminded about CF-to-SATA thread. And I was going to post here that finally we will be able to attach HDDSSD to our cameras, as there are CFast to SATA adapters (CFast is in mostly a fancy connector for SATA).

And then I checked again and it's CFexpress  :o Didn't even notice that there's a new standard already. PCIe v3 x4 / NVME - I wonder if someone will make  m.2 NVME -> CFexpress adapter  ;)
They are a couple of CFexpress -> (m.2 | pcie) adapters, and while I can't find any photo of "the other side" of pcbs, all PCIe traces seems to run directly between connectors.

Hold on, ATA133 which is the last version of IDE, only runs at maximum of 133mb/s. Attach to a SSD or HDD seems just save money for the captaincy?
The exposed socket the external power supply seems more dangerous and unstable xD. But it is a cool idea anyway and did you already tried that out? If not, I am glad to work on it.

Artur77

The camera focuses quickly, but I can't control it quickly. You need to change the ISO, you need to change the focus point, the finger reaches for the joystick, but it is not there, you need to go to the cross. As a result, I often used the touch screen to indicate the focus point. The handle is so comfortable. I am sure that anyone who buys this camera will get used to it.

yokashin

I think it's about sata, not ata ... The last standard of sata is sata3 (750 MB/s)
70D.112 [main cam] | M.202 | S110 [CHDK]

Aperture Science

Quote from: yokashin on May 03, 2020, 12:04:44 PM
I think it's about sata, not ata ... The last standard of sata is sata3 (750 MB/s)

Oh yeah lol, I miss understood. However there are many examples doing CFexpress to SATA on YouTube. Shouldn't be a big deal.