EOS M: Magic Lantern claimed to install but won't start

Started by meanwhile, February 10, 2020, 09:15:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

meanwhile

Install made with FW 2.02, full Canon battery, settings cleared to defaults, camera set to Manual Stills mode. I used danne's crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_raw_only_2020Jan18.EOSM202.

(Edited to add: The card is a 32GB Extreme Pro, straight from Amazon.)

Installer said everything worked.

Restarted and tried to launch ML menu in Manual Stills and Manual Video by -

- Tapping screen with two fingers

- Pressing delete button

- "In LiveView, toggle the INFO/DISP button until you see the Magic Lantern audio levels and footer bar" as per wiki (Which from my memory of using an EOS M with ML a couple of years doesn't actually work for the M???)

No response to any of the above.

The camera created a LOGS folder which has a ROM0.bin and ROM1.bin file on it. (Links removed.)

The camera hasn't complained at all but obviously I'm a tad alarmed. (Plus I want to get ML working!)

...The obvious thing to do is to try another attempt at installing, but obvious isn't always smart - plus I thought a dev might want some data from the install that would be lost. (Assuming that I haven't just failed to discover the correct way of launching the menu...)

names_are_hard

Creating the ROM files means ML code ran at some point, so that's good.  You shouldn't share those files, there are some concerns that Canon might feel it's sharing copyrighted information.

The card you're trying to launch ML from has autoexec.bin on it?  And a directory called ML?

When you say you pressed the delete button, did you hold it down for a long time?  On my M2 it is necessary to hold it down.  There's as little spinning thing that goes round and when complete you go to the ML menu.  So try that if you've haven't already.

Danne

Quote from: meanwhile on February 10, 2020, 09:15:10 PM
- Tapping screen with two fingers
It´s a camera, not your mistress :P, try tapping screen with one finger.

meanwhile

Quote from: Danne on February 10, 2020, 10:49:34 PM
It´s a camera, not your mistress :P, try tapping screen with one finger.

Then someone should really talk to the people doing ML install videos...

No, I tried that too. And just did so again. Nothing. (And, yes, the touch screen is working.)

Danne

Lack sources and clear descriptions. You do realize build used is experimental and differs very much from other builds?
I will wait for screen recordings showing clearly what you do from start to scratch. Too much guesswork otherwise.

Walter Schulz

To me it looks like the card isn't recognized as a bootable card.
2 options:
- Backup ROM0.BIN and ROM1.BIN and prepare card with EOScard/MacBoot utility. Wipe card contents and copy extracted build content to card. Retry.
- Use a smaller card (32 GB or less). Format card in cam, copy extracted build content to cad and redo installation.

meanwhile

Quote from: names_are_hard on February 10, 2020, 10:42:11 PM

The card you're trying to launch ML from has autoexec.bin on it?  And a directory called ML?

Yes. And an ML-SETUP.FIR

When you say you pressed the delete button, did you hold it down for a long time?  On my M2 it is necessary to hold it down.  There's as little spinning thing that goes round and when complete you go to the ML menu.  So try that if you've haven't already.

I held it down for literally a minute just now: nothing.

Walter Schulz

To verify if card is bootable and detected as such:
Rename Autoexec.bin to *.bak. If your cam gets stuck (black screen, not responsive) the card is bootable. Remove battery, rename autoexec.bak to .bin and lets find out what is actually going on with your card as Danne suggested.

meanwhile

Quote from: Walter Schulz on February 11, 2020, 01:02:00 PM
To me it looks like the card isn't recognized as a bootable card.

That's what I was thinking. It seems to be true almost by definition: the files are there but the card isn't being used to boot from. It's hard to imagine an unsuccessful boot leaving the regular fw in action and not throwing up any error messages or what have you.

2 options:
- Backup ROM0.BIN and ROM1.BIN and prepare card with EOScard/MacBoot utility. Wipe card contents and copy extracted build content to card. Retry.

Note for anyone reading this who uses linux: "make_bootable.sh" seems to be the equivalent. (?) Although  I can't find a copy, so -

- Use a smaller card (32 GB or less).

Sorry: I should have said what the card is - I'll add it my original post. It's a 32GB Extreme Pro, straight from Amazon. So it should be the safest card in the world, based on my reading of forum posts.

Format card in cam, copy extracted build content to cad and redo installation.

Or in other words, just try again doing exactly what I did before? (No irony - that was my plan too!)

meanwhile

Quote from: Walter Schulz on February 11, 2020, 01:16:31 PM
Rename Autoexec.bin to *.bak. If your cam gets stuck (black screen, not responsive) the card is bootable. Remove battery, rename autoexec.bak to .bin and lets find out what is actually going on with your card as Danne suggested.

Thanks - I'll try that later today. (I want to recharge the Canon original battery first - I want it back at 3 bars seeing the install instructions make a big deal of that.)

Walter Schulz

Quote from: meanwhile on February 11, 2020, 01:21:20 PM
Sorry: I should have said what the card is - I'll add it my original post. It's a 32GB Extreme Pro, straight from Amazon. So it should be the safest card in the world, based on my reading of forum posts.

Don't trust anyone in flash business!
Have you tested the card for capacity fraud with h2testw (Windows) or F3/F3X (Linux, macOS)? And have you tested for speed fraud by benchmark runs using a decent cardreader and tools like CrystalDiskMark (Windows) or BlackMagic Disk Speed Test (macOS)?

You don't have to have a fully charged battery for the autoexec.bin test. You're not doing an installation ...

meanwhile

Quote from: Walter Schulz on February 11, 2020, 01:27:30 PM
Don't trust anyone in flash business!
Have you tested the card for capacity fraud with h2testw (Windows) or F3/F3X (Linux, macOS)?

No. But in this case we're concerned that the card is 32GB or less - I think? And I doubt anyone is infiltrating Amazon's supply chain with perfect (afaict) Sandisk packaging with the nefarious aim of selling people 128GB cards for the price of 32s...

And have you tested for speed fraud by benchmark runs using a decent cardreader and tools like CrystalDiskMark (Windows) or BlackMagic Disk Speed Test (macOS)?

Which leads to the question of what counts as a decent card reader? This seems like it should be a reasonable guide -

https://www.reviewed.com/cameras/best-right-now/the-best-sd-card-readers

...But, honestly, not a priority for me unless someone says strongly that it should be. At the moment I can't see why card speed or anything reasonably related to it should be an issue. (I hate taking cards out of cameras and normally use the usb connection - I don't like physically straining cards. So a faster card reader than the one built into my laptop is just another piece of junk I don't need and will quickly lose...)

This seems like its useful for card speed testing on linux -

https://www.fosslinux.com/501/how-to-run-benchmark-tests-on-sd-memory-cards-in-elementary-os.htm

My current card reader is the one built-in to my old X200, so very slow.

You don't have to have a fully charged battery for the autoexec.bin test. You're not doing an installation ...

No. But eliminating factors in debugging is never a bad thing.

meanwhile

Quote from: Danne on February 11, 2020, 12:30:06 PM
Lack sources and clear descriptions. You do realize build used is experimental and differs very much from other builds?

I'm not sure how anyone could "realise" this if you're saying that's it MORE experimental than the other builds in your bitbucket. Is it?

I will wait for screen recordings showing clearly what you do from start to scratch. Too much guesswork otherwise.

Talking of guesswork, screen recordings of WHAT? Another install? Or my attempts to activate the menu?

(And I honestly can't see why you'd need either. Re. the install otherwise ML claims to have installed, so clearly it got the right inputs. And if all I'm supposed to do to activate the ML menu is to tap the screen, then how many ways are there to do that...? Are you really asking for a video of my index finger tapping the screen in every possible place with "info" in every possible setting, because that's all I can provide...)

Danne

Screenrecording please. From start to finish. Too much guesswork already.

meanwhile

Quote from: Danne on February 11, 2020, 03:55:37 PM
Screenrecording please. From start to finish. Too much guesswork already.

Again, of what? The install, or my finger tapping the screen to try to launch the menu?

Danne

From the moment you install/reinstall magic lantern. Do all from scratch.

meanwhile

Quote from: Danne on February 11, 2020, 03:58:24 PM
From the moment you install/reinstall magic lantern. Do all from scratch.

It booted into the normal non-ML fw despite the .bin being changed to .bak.

I can't see how an install video is likely to help, but sure.

meanwhile

I did some experimenting while waiting for my old smart phone to charge up. (I've gone retro and you wouldn't want to see video from my current phone - it's literally VGA, I think.) I had a second card and installing from it worked. I tried another install from the first card failed again (yes, it had been reformatted.)

Danne

meanwhile

...I should have said, the working card is another Sandisk from Amazon (not an Amazon seller.) This time an "Ultra." 64GB.

I'll reinstall from BOTH cards when the phone is charged. Maybe there will be some useful info you can get from the install display, but I'm doing the same thing every time.

After that, I'd suggest that I should reformat the failing sd card on my laptop instead of the M, to see if that makes a difference. Comments?

meanwhile

And now the Pro card is working as well.

..I followed exactly the same steps each time. I can't see any point to a video, but if you want one, I can provide it.

Danne

names_are_hard

Quote from: meanwhile on February 11, 2020, 04:13:54 PM
It booted into the normal non-ML fw despite the .bin being changed to .bak.

Quote from: Walter Schulz on February 11, 2020, 01:16:31 PM

Your card is not bootable.  I think you said you were using linux.  You want this: contrib/make-bootable/make_bootable.sh