DSLR as a monitor camera

Started by FlexMedia, January 14, 2020, 04:09:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlexMedia

Is there a way in ML to set a DSLR (Canon 60D) to be a monitor making it possible to record from the mini HDMI out? I can change the bit rate to record a little longer but if there is a way for ML to keep the camera on without recording?

Thank you,
Artis

Walter Schulz

ConnectHDMI-out to a recording device and turn on liveview.
If you want to have unlimited HDMI streaming duration (requires wall plug) you have to use experimental lua_fix build.

FlexMedia

I have a live mode I think that's what you mean, yes I would like the camera to stay on so I can record through a Tricaster.
I'll try this tomorrow.
Thanks!

FlexMedia

Couldn't get it to work in live mode. The cameras will record 17 minutes but the HDMI out shuts it off after a minute. Worth a try tho...
Thanks!

Walter Schulz

Try Prefs tab -> Powersave in Liveview -> 30-minute timer Disabled
Most vloggers use liveview only without recording internally.

FlexMedia

Mine has pref.
Power save in live view
Enable power saving on stand by, on recording, on stby +Rec.
(It was set to on stand by)
I don't see a 30 minute timer disabled... Unless I'm looking in the wrong place, but I'll try each and see if that makes a difference

FlexMedia

Walter,
But yes that is what I would like to do is use live view to record externally. Stay with me! There must be a way!
Thank you,
Art

Walter Schulz

Quote from: FlexMedia on January 16, 2020, 07:01:32 PM
I don't see a 30 minute timer disabled...

May I quote myself?
You have to use experimental lua_fix build.

FlexMedia

I'm brand new to Magic Lantern. I'll go to their site and download that experimental one I guess?

Walter Schulz

Top of page -> Downloads -> Downloads (Drop down menu) -> Experiments

FlexMedia

Perfect!
I downloaded the file and it keeps my camera on. Walter, you are a genius! I'll see if I can record.
Thanks for the help
Art

FlexMedia

Now, can I ask you how to get the display to not show through live view? I can repost this under a different topic but since we are on this page,
Thanks

Walter Schulz

FlexMedia

Sorry! I think I figured it out. In ML GLOBAL OFF removes all displays for recording. For whatever reason, I can't get my system Tricaster to record while my cameras are recording. But, if I use them in live mode they work. I'll keep at it but I think this is the answer.
Thanks again!

FlexMedia

Quote from: Walter Schulz on January 21, 2020, 04:46:36 AM
Try
Display tab -> Powersave in Liveview -> Turn off LCD

https://wiki.magiclantern.fm/camera_help#powersave_in_liveview

I just saw this as I was typing. The LCD is already off in that setting. Thanks tho..

Walter Schulz

I think "overlays" is what you mean by "displays". In ML lingo "display" might refer to LCD or liveview screens.

FlexMedia