My ACES/ HDR (HDR10+) Workflow: MLVapp - Davinci Resolve - Workflow

Started by Bender@arsch, January 25, 2020, 08:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luther

Quote from: Bender@arsch on March 19, 2020, 08:38:50 PM
This is not happend with 16bit EXR or Tiff rendering, but Tiff and EXR is more than 3 times bigger filezise.
Try Cineform instead.

reddeercity

My Workflow for HDR 2020 space: After Effects CS6(PC) (.mlv native bit rate 10,12 etc.) Cdng-> 16bitiff (32bit float) with ACR .
On MacPro import the Tiffs's to Compressor , render out to Real Apple ProRes 4444XQ This should be enough .
ACES is a waste of time with canon dslr's  , if you are having problems with clipping in the bottom end you need to get a colorimeters spider and calibrate you  monitor.
Just because it may be a 4k HDR TV doesn't mean it's calibrated correctly to Rec.2020 , even if you have BMD I/0 device .
For HD I use AJA Kona I/0  to Asus LED ProArt 10bit HDMI monitor in sRGB color space
(Asus has a pre-calibrated sRGB setting to 97% of sRGB color space) and with that I still check the calibration every time I grade video .
My 2 cents worth

ilia3101

Quote from: allemyr on February 04, 2020, 02:37:56 PM
I think the hole point with ACES is to match color from different cameras without much effort.

Quote from: Danne on February 04, 2020, 03:40:42 PM
It´s all about gamut. Eye perception. Aces is supposed to be doing this better than other spaces. Why else would we use it?
https://z-fx.nl/ColorspACES.pdf

I think you're both right

Quote from: reddeercity on March 21, 2020, 08:08:41 AM
ACES is a waste of time with canon dslr's 

I don't agree, it could be used as effectively with canon DSLRs as with any other camera, but I have been using MLV App with sRGB forever, and been 90% happy with the results.

Milk and Coffee

Are there any built-in IDT's in Reslove that work play nicely with DNG's from MLV?
Canon 5D Mark II, Mac/OSX

allemyr

Quote from: Milk and Coffee on May 27, 2020, 11:11:33 PM
Are there any built-in IDT's in Resolve that work play nicely with DNG's from MLV?

Hi, yes there is.

If you raise white level to 16383 in MLVapp before exporting DNGs you can get good result with setting color space in "Camera Raw Panel" to P3 D60 and Gamma 2.6 and highlight recovery. Like the image shows below

And set timeline "Color Management" to this if you going to upload to Youtube, sRGB and Gamma 2.2:

And in first Node in Resolve you choose a "Color Space Transform" and set it like this and grade inside this and the last "Color Space Transfrom".

First node:

Last node:

Milk and Coffee

I will give this a try! But I already have cdngs made from months ago. Can I still change the white level? Are there no other IDT's the play nice with ml raw without having to alter the source file?

allemyr

Quote from: Milk and Coffee on June 08, 2020, 04:05:37 PM
I will give this a try! But I already have cdngs made from months ago. Can I still change the white level? Are there no other IDT's the play nice with ml raw without having to alter the source file?

Yeah you can change white level with exif tool. I did that for one year and on old cdngs before i started with MLVapp.

Check post #100 in this thread https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=15801.100

allemyr

And by the way if you try it see last image of "color space transform" and look at "tone mapping" choose "luminance mapping" and set "adaptation" slider

Milk and Coffee

Quote from: allemyr on June 09, 2020, 02:43:07 PM
And by the way if you try it see last image of "color space transform" and look at "tone mapping" choose "luminance mapping" and set "adaptation" slider

Thanks so much!!! Where should I set the adaptation slider? What's the difference of a low value and a high value?

allemyr

Quote from: Milk and Coffee on June 09, 2020, 03:54:23 PM
Thanks so much!!! Where should I set the adaptation slider? What's the difference of a low value and a high value?

Try, and you will see where