I'd like to write a free user friendly ML guide; for or against?

Started by meanwhile, January 23, 2020, 02:44:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

meanwhile

More specifically, I'd like to write a set of notes for new shooters explaining the principles of shooting video, and I'd like to refer to Magic Lantern and especially the M, because it's so cheap, to do that. So it's a guide that would say "Hey, you want to shoot video, you need to get your exposure right. Here's how the spot meter and zebra will let you adjust your camera settings and NDs, here's how false color will let you relight the scene."

I'm very lazy, so as much as possible I'd try to rely on links to existing sources and just provide a structure for people to follow.

What I'm wondering is

1. Do the key people here think this is a good idea? If the guide was popular, it might cause an influx of people, a minority of who would asking irritating questions instead RTFM. These people can be a real drag for any community

2. Is anyone willing to proofread, make suggestions

ItsMeLenny

If you're writing a guide shouldn't it be stopping questions being asked? If a guide is created that creates questions wouldn't that be the opposite of a guide, some sort of ediug or something.

Just do it, just start it, people in here will probably go "I don't need it" that's because they're already using it. Any criticism; don't take harshly, any feedback; implement as needed. But if you post what you've posted and then wait for responses it's nothing but wasted time.

As far as your second question goes, if you have something, you can create a thread and link it and people will comment along the way, you can post updates in that thread and what not. But I don't think anyone will commit to a proof read of something that doesn't exist. Write the first chapter, start a thread, link it, get the feedback there, keep the thread alive, keep the project alive, etc etc.

meanwhile

If you're writing a guide shouldn't it be stopping questions being asked? If a guide is created that creates questions wouldn't that be the opposite of a guide, some sort of ediug or something.

In practice, very often not:

- A guide that says "Here are the answers if you're shooting with ML" would tend to reduce questions, yes

But

- A guide that says "Here are the answers if you want to shoot better video and I'm illustrating those answers with ML" might not - because it might attract people who wouldn't use ML otherwise. In fact, that's almost the point of what I want to do. I want people interested in shooting narrative and documentary for the first time to be aware of tools that might help them, and at the moment ML doesn't seem to be something these people know exists.

If there are no objections in a week or so then I'll start and put a link here.

ratketyree

People in this area will likely say "I don't need it" because they won't see a need for it. Accept constructive feedback; respond appropriately to negative feedback. But if you continue to post the same thing and expect responses, you're wasting your time.

In answer to your second query, yes, it is possible to start a thread, link it, have others remark, publish updates, and so on. However, I doubt anyone would volunteer to edit a nonexistent document. Start by writing the first chapter, then create a topic, link it, collect feedback there, maintain the thread and the project, and so on.

names_are_hard

You're replying to a post greater than three years old.  Please check the dates first :)