New Canon Info

Started by garry23, January 15, 2020, 08:55:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garry23

ilia3101

Wow thanks for sharing! This could be the most significant image quality innovation in a long time.

71m363nd3r

I dont think it's a big deal because 95% you don't get in touch with moire in general work, just time to time 2-3%
Afcourse it's good for the consumer but it's not a break deal.

Luther

Interesting, thanks for sharing. This blog is amazing, there's many other interesting articles there.
Too bad this technology will probably be patented and only Canon will benefit from it. Same path and old story of others like Foveon, Panavision PX-Pro color spectrum filter, and the Arri FSND filter. I understand they need to make money, but we would have much better technology if those companies collaborated between them sometimes.

QuoteI dont think it's a big deal because 95% you don't get in touch with moire in general work, just time to time 2-3%
Afcourse it's good for the consumer but it's not a break deal
Well, one of the things analog film is still better than digital is exactly this area. Harsh edges, aliasing/moire plays a significant role for me in reducing this bad "digital feel". Also, this improvement is important for other areas, such as fashion photography.

ilia3101

Quote from: Luther on January 15, 2020, 11:59:12 PM
Harsh edges, aliasing/moire plays a significant role for me in reducing this bad "digital feel".

There's almost zero harsh edges or aliasing with a gaussian filter, except for extremely contrasty edges that are clipping. So I think this could give the 1DX the best detail rendering of any digital camera at 1:1

IDA_ML

Quote from: 71m363nd3r on January 15, 2020, 11:09:24 PM
I dont think it's a big deal because 95% you don't get in touch with moire in general work, just time to time 2-3%
Afcourse it's good for the consumer but it's not a break deal.

And these 2-3% are enough to render an otherwise perfect clip useless!  This happens all the time to me and drives me sometimes crazy!  We have a saying:

"A spoon of tar is enough to spoil a barrel of honey"

And this is exactly what aliasing and moire do to our footage.  Every effort to eliminate or at least reduce it is highly desirable and welcome.

70MM13

i couldn't agree more!
when i saw the zipper on my jacket in the new ttt episode, it made me want to cry...

i think i would buy one of these cameras just for that!

:)