Canon EOS 60D - Err 70 on boot

Started by mathb67, January 15, 2020, 07:34:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mathb67

Hello everyone,

My Canon EOS 60D doesn't boot anymore. When I turn it on, I got an Err 70 displaying on the screen.

I've been reading some threads about that, looks like it's a quite common issue, but I a complete noob and I don't understand well the procedure to unbrick it.

If someone can help that would be awesome :)

Thanks, have a nice day !

Walter Schulz

mathb67

I don't think so, however i'm not sure about what ML is...  :o

ilia3101

Quote from: mathb67 on January 16, 2020, 10:37:52 AM
I don't think so, however i'm not sure about what ML is...  :o

Do you know what Magic Lantern is?

mathb67

Quote from: ilia3101 on January 16, 2020, 06:47:59 PM
Do you know what Magic Lantern is?
I just looked up on Google, is it some kind of firmware to make movies with your camera ?
So I imagine this forum is dedicated to camera wich runs ML ?.. I feel stupid, I was thinking that it it's a place where people helping each other with their camera... ^^
Sorry for bothering ! Do you know a forum where I can find some help for my issue ?

Walter Schulz

Well, a1ex (main dev) recovered some cams with and without ML installed. AFAIK recovery is quite a lot easier if the cam has been enabled for ML.
But timing is not the best, he has taken some sort of sabbatical.

a1ex

If the camera is recognized by the PC via USB, I can give it a try. You will need to give me some kind of remote access to your computer. Timing is not right, but I expect some reduced workload in 1-2 weeks, so... please remind me if you don't find a solution meanwhile.

Otherwise, you will need some electronics skills to connect a UART dongle to the camera (you don't have to disassemble it, as it's under the rubber cover). There, you will see the exact error message from Canon (not just the code). I can assist you with that as well.

If the camera already has ML installed, you could run the portable ROM dumper or other diagnostic tools directly from the SD card (no wires or cables needed in this case).

mathb67

Hello guys,
Sorry for answerring lately, i've been sick for a while  :-X

Quote from: a1ex on January 17, 2020, 08:01:28 AM
If the camera is recognized by the PC via USB, I can give it a try. You will need to give me some kind of remote access to your computer. Timing is not right, but I expect some reduced workload in 1-2 weeks, so... please remind me if you don't find a solution meanwhile.
The camera is recognized by the PC, we can have a try with teamviewer whenever you are available :)

Otherwise, you will need some electronics skills to connect a UART dongle to the camera (you don't have to disassemble it, as it's under the rubber cover). There, you will see the exact error message from Canon (not just the code). I can assist you with that as well.
I think I can do that if it's necessary.

If the camera already has ML installed, you could run the portable ROM dumper or other diagnostic tools directly from the SD card (no wires or cables needed in this case).
I'm almost sure it's not. Is there some kind of tuto somewhere to install it ? I can do it if it's helpful.

Thanks to both of you for your help :)

mathb67

Hey there !

Still no solution for me  ::)

Do you have some time this week or the next one a1ex ?

Thank youuuu

kmjm

Had the same problem and after many attempts, success. Just can't remember which one did the actual fix. I think this was the one.
Try holding down the menu button then power on, hopefully the menu will come up, scroll over to the 3rd wrench then down to clear all camera setting.

kmjm

Sorry mathb67 forgot to mention first put the camera in one of the following modes: M, AV, TV, P

mathb67

Hey men ! I can't believe you registered just to answer me ! That's so kind of you, thank you :)

Unfortunately, I tried this manipulation but I can't access to the menu, in any mode. The camera always print Err 70 :/