Can default startup procedures be removed? (i.e. lens check)

Started by Hydration, January 08, 2020, 06:05:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydration

Hello

I am new here so I apologize If I am posting incorrectly.

I am a software developer and I plan on doing some firmware modifications of my own.
I was wondering If it is possible to disable the lens check when turning on a canon bridge camera (or any non-interchangeable lens canon for that matter).

The reason for this is that I want to remove the build in lens and use my own vintage glass with a 3d printed mount. Before I go deep I was hoping anyone knowledgeable could inform me.

Thanks in advance

Walter Schulz

Canon's lineup of cams without interchangeable lenses is covered by our friends at CHDK.

a1ex

From my limited knowledge of PowerShot firmware, the lens communication is initiated from the main ARM CPU, so - at least in theory - it should be doable. You will have to reverse engineer Canon's assembly code and patch it somehow, and this step might be non-trivial.

I'd stay away from DIGIC 6 for this kind of modification, though. At least on DSLR, we couldn't find a way to patch ROM routines in Canon firmware (at the time of writing). Patching ROM contents currently works on DIGIC 2, 3, 4, 5 (via cache hacks), and also on 7 and 8 (by reconfiguring the MMU). Unless somebody at CHDK figured it out for D6 meanwhile :)