Canon EOS M Film | ARRI "Sundown" | Magic Lantern RAW Video 14-Bit | CZJ 50mm F2

Started by ZEEK, January 05, 2020, 07:53:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZEEK

Canon EOS M Film | ARRI "Sundown" | Magic Lantern RAW Video 14-Bit | CZJ 50mm F2.8

It was a hot day and I went out with just my EOS M, simple gear and two batteries (I only used one for the whole shoot). It was very hazy in the sky due to the Bushfires and the sun was hot. Managed to capture these beautiful RAW Clips with the Canon EOS M and Magic Lantern RAW. The clips were a pleasure to grade and had an ARRI feel to them. For the price, the EOS M is such a special camera!

Gear:
Canon EOS M w/ Magic Lantern RAW
CZJ Zeiss Jena Tessar 50mm F2.8 M42 (Vintage Lens)
M42 to EOS M Basic Adapter
EOS M "Run & Gun" Rig Setup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hJy3...
FOTGA Variable ND 52mm ND Filter [49-52mm Step-Up Ring]
Basic Tripod

Settings:
Film Grain Added in post
1736x976
14-Bit RAW Uncompressed
MCM 1080 Rewire
ISO 100
23.976 FPS
1/48 [Image Fine-Tuning & Shutter Lock]
Upscaled to 2.8K
Exported Prores 4444
EOS M

Danne

Why that old build?
I always wonder why you never choose anamorphic. No scaling needed and all hideous 3x3 artifacts will vanish.
Oh, and bless you guys down under with all that fire going on  :'(

ZEEK

I have two SD cards. One with your awesome latest build and this one with an older one because it has 14-bit uncompressed Raw,  grading feels better with the Uncompressed rather than the lossless, but I still use both.
Thanks for that, pretty unexpected fires. Can't do much with the natural disaster unfortunately, it's taking a while but we'll see how it goes. Cheers! 😎👍
EOS M

Danne

ZEEK

EOS M

Danne

Hm, took out the build, it was buggy and I decided to leave it since there´s no visual difference between lossless and uncompressed. If you want to be able and enable it anyway it´s very easy to enable the Data format option under raw video and compile it yourself.
In mlv_lite.c:
                .name       = "Data format",
                .priv       = &output_format,
                .max        = 5,
                .update     = output_format_update,
                .shidden    = 1, // TODO: only hide this if crop_rec module is enabled?

Into this:
                .max        = 5,

Erase the .shidden line, that´s it.

yokashin

Another good movie!
Some shots look like they were shot on Mars ... Good luck with fires. Today I saw a photo with a flock of burnt kangaroos :(
70D.112 [main cam] | M.202 | S110 [CHDK]

ZEEK

Thank you yokashin  :)
Yeah, unreal stuff! Thanks, it's a big job. Lots of animals have suffered as well as homes.
EOS M

ZEEK

Quote from: Danne on January 05, 2020, 11:33:36 PM
In mlv_lite.c:
                .max        = 5,
                .shidden    = 1, // TODO: only hide this if crop_rec module is enabled?

Into this:
                .max        = 5,

Erase the .shidden line, that´s it.

Right thanks, I can give it a go and see what happens! Where is this "mlv_lite.c" located exactly, I checked the download reprository? And how do I access the code? Thanks!
EOS M

Danne

I use this:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=21882.0

The repository for eosm is next to the  bulds from the download post.

Seems you're new to compiling so I'd suggest search compiler threads and read through.

Good luck!

ZEEK

Many thanks!  ;)
I believe I'm in the wrong branch, but can't seem to find this branch: crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets.
#
current branch: crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd

1 iso-research
2 digic6-dumper
3 qemu
4 crop_rec_4k
5 crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd
6 patchmgr
7 recovery
8 1300D
9 70D_merge_fw112
10 manual_lens_info
11 io_trace_full
12 raw_video_10bit_12bit_LVState
13 1200D
14 config_var_refactor
15 cr2hdr
16 tft_lcd
17 sd_uhs
18 silent-control
19 cleaner-lvapp-hack
20 mlv_rec_callbacks
21 crop_rec_4k_mlv_lite_snd
22 card_fmt
23 thread-safety
24 rec-trigger
25 mlv_dump_4k
26 vsnprintf
27 qemu-2.9.0
28 prevent-reflash
29 lua_touch
30 touch-menu

Total of 119 branches

current branch: crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd
EOS M

ZEEK

I downloaded the [crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_raw_only_2019Aug17.EOSM202] from the download post link and added the repository:

Main
     ----
repository path: /Users/Mac/Desktop/crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_raw_only_2019Aug17.EOSM202
current branch:
(b)  branches
(p)  platform
(m)  modules
(M)  make clean
(pp) hg path/pull section
(C)  development installation script
(c)  download magic lantern repository
(s)  select a new repository
(t)  terminal
(l)  my repo list
(o)  open up Compiler.app main script
(hg) hg.command(expert option)
(RA) hg revert --all --no-backup(discard local commits)
(st) file status
(h)  HOWTO
(q)  exit

Can't access Modules
abort: no repository found in '/Users/Mac/Desktop/crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_raw_only_2019Aug17.EOSM202' (.hg not found)!
current branch:
1 ML

current branch:
(m)  main
(q)  exit
Please enter your selection number below and press enter

:o

I guess I wouldn't worry about it for now, this is not an absolute necessity. I'll just play around & see what happens...

EOS M

Danne

You need the fork and from that you select the branch.
Dfort created a good tutorial how to work with the source tree so if you're serious getting into compiling start with the basics.

ZEEK

EOS M

allemyr

Really like to color grading! Very cool that EOS M can create this. I think this is one of the better movies I've seen from EOS M i terms of antialiasing and moire patterns. Shure its a bit soft but nothing that matter much. Great colors!

ZEEK

Thank you 👍 The softness is from the lens and I much admire that look! Aliasing was extremely minimal from all the 132 clips I recorded, if any, barely saw them! Cheers!
EOS M

allemyr

Now I see! Yes a soft lens but it does the image good, and maybe better the moire issue which is good.  Only saw moire almost one time at 5:58. Well captured scenes from beautiful place!

Do you use MLVApp or Resolve or something else for cutting and grading?

IDA_ML

I can also confirm that aliasing and moire are very much lens dependent.  I have the SMC Takumar 50/1,4 and it provides 100% aliasing/moire free footage on my 100D - no need for a VAF filter at all.  Unfortunately, this is not the case with the 35/2 IS and the 24/2,8 IS that are my favorite lenses for hand held filming due to stabilization.  They both are extremely sharp lenses and aliasing is a big problem with them.  When I use these lenses, I have to cut out parts of the footage where aliasing and moire are very intrusive.

Gorgeous work, Zeek!  Please stay far away from the flames and keep your family safe!

ZEEK

Thanks for the comment  :-*
I should probably also mention I used CA Desature @100%. I know it can degrade the image quality, but it looked fine for all the clips I used it on. You're right, lens choice is also a crucial factor. For about 4 scenes I shot @f22 and still no aliasing. It's not "aliasing free" but it's good enough to put on a good show. I may have to take out my canon 50 f1.8 stm and 35mm f2 again and see the aliasing performance with those.. ;)
Yes, we'll aim to stay away. Thanks a lot  :)
EOS M

IDA_ML

Quote from: ZEEK on January 08, 2020, 01:29:22 AM
For about 4 scenes I shot @f22 and still no aliasing.

I have tried that too hoping that difraction at F22 will reduce lens sharpness and will thus lessen aliasing.  Unfortunately, the image became too soft for my liking.  This is also lens dependent.  Some lenses such as the 17-40/4L seem to tolerate F22 better than others.  Didn't try too hard though.  Maybe, an F-stop range between 11 and 16 where difraction is less pronounced will provide better results w.r.t. aliasing.

Just like you, I very much like wide angle landscape videography.  My way of fighting aliasing in this case is filming at high resolution in the anamorphic mode.  In this mode, aliasing is barely visible to non existent and as an additional bonus, you have the high resolution - up to 5k.  The downside is huge file sizes and long MLVApp render times, limited recording times at the highest resolutions and also reduced frame rates.  I had the opportunity to try filming at 1736x2928 resolution at 14 fps and 12-bits lossless on the EOS-M recently and this provides excellent aliasing free results, even with Dual ISO.  Due to the wide angle of view and the low angle velocity of the moving objects in the scene, (typically clouds, vehicles, water, smoke, etc.), even at 14 fps, you can achieve very smooth motion in your shots.  You start observing choppyness only if the moving objects are too close to your camera and move perpendicular to the optical axis.   As soon as I find some time, I will prepare a video with examples of wide angle landscape videography shot at the above settings.

bakersdozen

Quote from: IDA_ML on January 08, 2020, 08:36:42 AM
I have tried that too hoping that difraction at F22 will reduce lens sharpness and will thus lessen aliasing.  Unfortunately, the image became too soft for my liking.  This is also lens dependent.  Some lenses such as the 17-40/4L seem to tolerate F22 better than others.  Didn't try too hard though.  Maybe, an F-stop range between 11 and 16 where difraction is less pronounced will provide better results w.r.t. aliasing.

Just like you, I very much like wide angle landscape videography.  My way of fighting aliasing in this case is filming at high resolution in the anamorphic mode.  In this mode, aliasing is barely visible to non existent and as an additional bonus, you have the high resolution - up to 5k.  The downside is huge file sizes and long MLVApp render times, limited recording times at the highest resolutions and also reduced frame rates.  I had the opportunity to try filming at 1736x2928 resolution at 14 fps and 12-bits lossless on the EOS-M recently and this provides excellent aliasing free results, even with Dual ISO.  Due to the wide angle of view and the low angle velocity of the moving objects in the scene, (typically clouds, vehicles, water, smoke, etc.), even at 14 fps, you can achieve very smooth motion in your shots.  You start observing choppyness only if the moving objects are too close to your camera and move perpendicular to the optical axis.   As soon as I find some time, I will prepare a video with examples of wide angle landscape videography shot at the above settings.
This will be an interesting watch if you do get the time to do this @IDA_ML . It would also be good to understand how to interpret 14fps footage on a final target 24fps timeline etc. Or how to get it there one way or another for general consumption.
EOS M + 5D3

ZEEK

Quote from: IDA_ML on January 08, 2020, 08:36:42 AM
I had the opportunity to try filming at 1736x2928 resolution at 14 fps and 12-bits lossless on the EOS-M recently and this provides excellent aliasing free results, even with Dual ISO.  Due to the wide angle of view and the low angle velocity of the moving objects in the scene, (typically clouds, vehicles, water, smoke, etc.), even at 14 fps, you can achieve very smooth motion in your shots.  You start observing choppyness only if the moving objects are too close to your camera and move perpendicular to the optical axis.

You wouldn't believe it but I had the wrong step up ring for my 52mm ND Filter (49-55mm instead) so i had to hold it in front of the lens for the majority of shots. For landscapes I'd take it off and it would be bright leaving me to stop down the aperture to f22.

I normally shoot both portraits and landscape and move/pan quite a lot and so 14fps may not be the best option in that case. For stills, it's definitely a Plus! I'll test it out and see how I like it. Cheers!
EOS M

IDA_ML

Quote from: bakersdozen on January 08, 2020, 10:10:33 AM
It would also be good to understand how to interpret 14fps footage on a final target 24fps timeline etc. Or how to get it there one way or another for general consumption.

In my workflow, I use Resolve for that.  In the project settings I use Optical flow with the "Enhanced better" option to interpolate 14 fps to the 24 fps target.  It has always worked quite well for me. 

cmh

Quote from: ZEEK on January 06, 2020, 11:33:51 AM
I guess I wouldn't worry about it for now, this is not an absolute necessity. I'll just play around & see what happens...

Here's a build with uncompressed data format enabled.
https://github.com/cmhamiche/builds/blob/master/magiclantern-Nightly.2020Jan12.EOSM202.zip

The only difference with Danne's latest build is the suggested edit in mlv_lite.c and the commit 5549fd4 made 22 hours ago in crop_rec.c:(EOSM center preview 48fps mode).
I haven't done much tests, mv1080 14 bit seems to work.

@Danne
Other settings has some liveview problems (it's either frozen or partly frozen) despit reinstalling ML so I wouldn't recommend using it for 12 bit, 10 bit, 2.5k and 5k anamorphic:
ML ASSERT: 0 at mlv_lite.c:2846 (compress_task), task compress_task lv:1 mode:3

compress_task stack: 1ded50 [1dede0-1ddde0]
0x0009EC24 @ bea1a8:1ded80
0x0009E564 @ 9ec80:1ded50

A little howto for Danne's build using Cygwin on Windows for those who fancy.
https://github.com/cmhamiche/builds