EOS M with Carl Zeiss Jena 20mm 2.8 and 50mm 1.4

Started by masc, January 01, 2020, 08:13:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

masc

Happy new year to you all!
In the last days of the old year I found some time to record some clips with my two new old lenses, which I have since a month:
- Carl Zeiss Jena Prakticar 20mm 2.8 MC
- Carl Zeiss Jena Prakticar 50mm 1.4 MC (first version with thorium coating)
Both lenses are around 35..40 years old and were very expensive here (Jena is just an hour by car) when they were build.
At least the 20mm is a real diva: I got it a month ago, but I had to learn since that how to use it... really difficult to handle 😜 But after you understood what happens, you'll have a lot of fun with it. Problem is an extreme field curvature and a lot of (more or less wonderful) flares... Therefor I really like the colors.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNsjVHJXb5g
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

ZEEK

Great work Marc! Looks really good for the 5K Anamorphic mode and the colours are also nice  ;)
Those practicar Zeiss lenses are real gems with very unique rendering and some purple coatings. The 28mm practicar zeiss is probably the sharpest 28mm I've ever come across, possibly the same or sharper than the Contax MMJ 28mm f2.8 I've also owned. Really good job here, keep it up!
EOS M

IDA_ML

Germany has always been an Eldorado for high-quality old vintage lenses.  And I guess, now that ML and the EOS-M are readily available, prices of these lenses have sky rocketed again.

Beatiful work, Masc, especially with this vintage look and flares.  It is really great to see that ML gives new life to these old lenses - product of the genious work of german engineers. 

Glueckliches Neujahr und herzliche Gruesse nach Thueringen!

masc

Thank you ( und viele Grüße zurück! ;) ).
I could not test the CZJ 28mm yet, just tested the old CZJ 20mm 2.8, 35mm 2.4, 50mm 1.4 and 135mm 2.8, and love all of them. Especially this 3D look (if you know what I mean) and colors are great. You just need more time for recording, to check again and again if the current setting is good or not.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

IDA_ML

Masc, (Hallo Markus),

The 3D look comes from the microcontrast and CZJ lenses are famous for that. Take a look at this example here:

https://www.opticallimits.com/canon_eos_ff/508-zeiss100f2eosff?start=1

Do you see how the white statue pops out of the scene?  Just amazing!  The same scene, shot with a different brand of lens of the same focal length does not provide this 3D effect.  There are lots of examples on the above site.

A long time ago, I tested the 200/F2,8 for the Pentakon 6 on the classical 5D.  The lens is large and heavy and a pain to work with due to the lack of life view on the 5D but due to the large pixel of that camera, the 3D effect was even stronger pronounced.  And if you get the focus spot on, the colors and 3D look are absolutely gorgeous.

May I suggest that you try a few tests filming at different resolutions with one of your longer CZJ lenses, when you find some time for that?  You may find that, dependent on the resolution at which you record the image with a given sensor, the 3D effect may be more or less strongly pronounced.  In this way, you may find a resoluton producing the strongest 3D effect. 

They should really make a museum for old vintage CZJ lenses in Jena, with all their lenses ever made on display, so that every visitor could shoot a few test shots with their own cameras using these lenses.  They could make a lot of money with that.  ;)