EOS M 5k + Crane M2 Gimbal

Started by ngemu, December 26, 2019, 06:23:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ngemu

Some extended gimbal clips. All shot on the eos m at 5k, enjoy! Test footage starts at 4:30

IDA_ML

Have you tried this same setup with a somewhat larger and havier lens?  Does it still work and stabilize properly?

ngemu

Do you have a specific lens in mind?

I have tried my 35mm f/2 w/ viltrox speed booster which is a bit heavier and also works. However, must be balanced more precisely or it will cause more bounce when walking.

These prime lens are really small but when attached to a speed booster or dummy adapter, they behave more like regular mid sized lens. Anything bigger will most likely have issues such has the  85mm usm f/1.8. (have not tested personally)

I will be doing a review of the feiyutech g6 max soon. It is a bit bigger in size but also quite small still. I was able to balance my massive 24-105mm f/4 IS II lens. Unusable though due to its extreme length.

Thanks!

IDA_ML

Yes, I was thinking of the EF 35/F2 IS which is my favorite for video work and also the EF 17-40/F4.  Is there a problem with balancing your setup with these lenses?  Thanks a lot for this valuable information.

ngemu

The EF 17-40/F4 is a bit longer than the 35mm and I believe it will hit the back plate / arm of the gimbal.

The 35mm f/2 is definitely doable but as for all gimbals, even the weebill-s, you have to control your movements, especially while walking or your video will bounce up and down. I used a 24mm in my video, so the 35mm bounce will be even more noticable due to the longer focal range.

If you dont mind walking slowly and doing the ninja walk, I recommend the m2.

I actually have a feiyutech g6 max (just released a week ago) that I will test out. It is bigger than the m2 but still smaller than most other gimals. It has a max payload of 1200 grams which is significant for most lens.

Thank you for your interest!

earlph

Do you think it will work with ef-s 10-18 and the viltrox ef- efm (not speed booster)?

ngemu

Quote from: earlph on January 04, 2020, 01:00:37 AM
Do you think it will work with ef-s 10-18 and the viltrox ef- efm (not speed booster)?

yes it should work fine