5D3 14-bit, some skiing

Started by allemyr, December 29, 2019, 03:18:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

allemyr

Latest revision first:

Shot in 14-bit mostly slowmotion around 50fps in squeeze format.
Tried to go for a look with a wide range in it.
Hope you you like it. Need to use a tripod, those  movements on 100mm and 300mm is a tiny bit annoying :)

Happy new year and Xmas!

I like the easy workflow with MLV App as a start to adjust white level to 16383 from standard 15000.

Please watch in UHD :)

Edited my post

Added a video with correct color settings from Resolve

Dmytro_ua

The video is unavailable here...
5d3 1.2.3 | Canon 16-35 4.0L | Canon 50 1.4 | Canon 100mm 2.8 macro
Ronin-S | Feelworld F6 PLUS

allemyr

Quote from: Dmytro_ua on December 29, 2019, 03:53:47 PM
The video is unavailable here...

Thank you! didnt first notice. will fix and re upload! Now it should be availible

fresco

Hi allemyr, can you add some more info about your shooting and postprocessing?
I've got a 5D3 but 4k, 14bit and 50fps guarantee maybe 1-2 seconds per shoot (and I've used many experimental ML versions), did you upscale from hd in post? Can you share your settings
How did you manage to stabilyze the image shooting handheld? Is there some post involved? Which software did you use?
I agree, MLVApp is great, powerful and easy (and free as well!!)

allemyr

hi fresco!

i upscale in post with the 2x upscale with Resolve Studio version which i think makes a good job. Ofcourse real UHD looks much better, but i think this is decent. I shoot slowmotion the skiing part handheld with a handle on top of the camera so its no post stabilization nor gimbal glidecam thing. For the zoomed in peices I use a Canon 100 IS macro that does a ok job, but i miss a tripod sometimes or another solution.

I only use MLVApp for copying files from memory card and adjusting white level from 15000 to 16383 which is very important.

allemyr

I will also say that Iam not 100% happy with the image quality in terms of compression and noise that get on to the final video. When I solved that and are more happy with the result if I solve it I will make a short tutorial on my workflow. Iam writing important steps up in a notebook to easily manage creating a tutorial after that.

For now even the ISO 100 shots have noise in them, which I dont like. In the tunnel in the beginning there is some banding from noise and noise reduction, but those are shot at ISO 6400.