Canon 5D2 II RAW Film [4K Upscale] | Beach Vibes ~ CONTAX ZEISS Lens

Started by ZEEK, December 28, 2019, 10:22:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZEEK

Canon 5D2 II RAW Film [4K Upscale] | Beach Vibes ~ CONTAX ZEISS Lens

Gear Used:
Canon 5D Mark II
Contax Zeiss 50mm f1.7 MMJ [De-Clicked] - Used for the majority of shots.
Contax Zeiss 28-85mm MMJ
Tonkix Variable ND 77mm

Settings:
14-Bit RAW [Uncompressed]
Resolution: 1856x1040
Aspect Ratio 16:9
24fps, 1/48
WB - 5600k
ISO 100

No LUT used. Manually graded in MLV App with BMD Film. Exposure corrected in FCPX. 
EOS M

ZEEK

EOS M

IDA_ML

Very nice, Zeek!  The 5D2 seems to handle high-contrast scenes very well.  I knew it, once you taste the flavor of full frame, it will be very hard to go back to APS-C.  Still, now that you have the Mark II, it would be very interesting to compare its full frame vision with the one from the EOS-M in combination with the Viltrox speed booster, using the same EF-mount/adapted lenses.  Have you tried such comparisons yet?  What about aliasing?

ZEEK

Thanks a lot! Still testing out different looks with the 5DII. Great camera for sure and yes the full-frame look is intriguing. However, I have tested the EOS M with the Speedbooster and it does feel a little similar, but full-frame sensor feels legit and has a magical "pop" to it that I don't think speed boosters can emulate that well. I'll see if I can get around to doing this test and perhaps post the findings. Aliasing...5DII is the winner here. Feels second best from the 5DIII. EOS M isn't bad if you use the CA Desature tool in MLV App, but it will slightly reduce quality.  ;)
EOS M

IDA_ML

In my experience, there should be at least 4 significant features in favor of the FF 5D2:

1)  Low-light performance (quite logical),
2)  Aliasing (glad you experience that on the 5D2)
3)  Higher dynamic range (quite logical)
4)  Microcontrast (responsible the "pop" that you are seeing).  Some Zeiss lenses such as the 100mm/F2 macro greatly boost this effect.

Looking forward to more of your findings in that respect.  ;)

masc

Great video again, ZEEK.

Quote from: IDA_ML on December 30, 2019, 08:37:14 AM
Still, now that you have the Mark II, it would be very interesting to compare its full frame vision with the one from the EOS-M in combination with the Viltrox speed booster, using the same EF-mount/adapted lenses.  Have you tried such comparisons yet?
Using wide angle lenses the 5D is way better than the EOSM+Speedbooster, because the booster always blurs the edges. Just the middle of the frame gets sharp. For lenses 50mm+ the difference between those cams is smaller. My loved EF16-35mm 2.8 + speedbooster made me think "ouch"  ::) ; same for my new old Zeiss Jena 20mm 2.8. On the 5D both great lenses.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

ZEEK

Quote from: IDA_ML on December 30, 2019, 02:55:21 PM
In my experience, there should be at least 4 significant features in favor of the FF 5D2:

1)  Low-light performance (quite logical),
2)  Aliasing (glad you experience that on the 5D2)
3)  Higher dynamic range (quite logical)
4)  Microcontrast (responsible the "pop" that you are seeing).  Some Zeiss lenses such as the 100mm/F2 macro greatly boost this effect.

You're right with those points! Also:

5) Resolution
6) Uncompressed RAW 14 Bit with more color information and higher data rate e.g. 24fps @77mb/s or 30fps @~100mb/s for more detail.
EOS M

ZEEK

Quote from: masc on December 30, 2019, 05:20:02 PM
Great video again, ZEEK.
Using wide angle lenses the 5D is way better than the EOSM+Speedbooster.
Thanks!
It is better. But my experience with speedboosters and wide angle lenses hasn't been that bad with the EOS M, especially the metabones one.
It's just the aliasing which has limited my lens choice.
The 5D2 just feels like a budget ARRI camera. Dynamic Range is a great advantage and the color science is very natural. Something about the sensor makes it magical.
EOS M

masc

Quote from: ZEEK on December 30, 2019, 10:10:53 PM
But my experience with speedboosters and wide angle lenses hasn't been that bad with the EOS M, especially the metabones one.
Ah okay?! I know you already made a video about Viltrox vs. Metabones speedbooster. But could you compare with a wideangle lens again? Maybe something around 16mm and 20mm? This would be very interesting. On the other side, I did not found any reseller for the metabones speedbooster in Germany... :(
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

ZEEK

I had the Samyang 16mm a while ago and it looked great with the speedbooster no issues on the corners. Sold it as it needed a mattebox and couldn't take photo filters. The widest I own now is 28mm. I'll see if I can find anything wider sometime and do a video.
EOS M

IDA_ML

Masc,

Over the holidays, I had the opportunity to play around with the EOS-M and the Viltrox speedbooster.  Following your request to see how this combination works with a wide angle lens, I hooked up the EF 17-40/4L and filmed two clips at 17mm wide open (at F2.8 as converted by the speedbooster) and 1736x2928 anamorphic resolution to use the full sensor length.  Here are two shortened versions for you to check out:

https://we.tl/t-UIymI32k1z

As you see, quality is quite reasonable.  At the extreme corners of the frame there is very little softening that you can notice only at 100% magnification but it goes away when you stop the lens down.  Overall, I am quite satisfied with the speedbooster's performance and would not hesitate to use it even at the maximum lens apperture.  It's a very nice tool, especially due to making EF lenses by 41% wider and adding one more stop of light - perfect for low-light filming and landscape videography.  It works for stills photography too. 

masc

Thanks, IDA_ML.
That looks a bit better than with my EF16-35mm 2.8 or the CZJ20mm 2.8 here, while the extreme corners are more or less the same.
I have 3 corners which are okay (but still a lot worse than on the 5D2, that's why I asked if the metabones is better) and one very bad corner (upper left, looks like there is butter on the lens). No need to zoom in, it is always visible, even at f/22. I just can focus a bit "behind" and the 4th corner becomes better (and the other 3 worse). I think my speedbooster is not correctly centered. I tried to tighten the corresponding screw from the speedboosters bajonet: since that it became slightly better, but is still visible. But for me it looks like your speedbooster has "4 similar edges" (but its hard to say definitively with these two shots).
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

ereese

:) Great work Zek. It would appear to be down South M. and St. K way. I really like the grading, cool camera direction and storyline.

ZEEK

EOS M