First Time Boat Paddling | Canon 5D Mark II Short Film RAW Video | 14-Bit Magic

Started by ZEEK, December 27, 2019, 03:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZEEK

First Time Boat Paddling | Canon 5D Mark II Short Film RAW Video | 14-Bit Magic Lantern [4K Export]

Gave the 5DII a test run with the L Glass a few days ago. First time boat paddling on a very sunny day with a lot of contrast. I mainly underexposed the scenes to recover the shadows and highlights in post otherwise there would have been a lot of clipping. Shows the dynamic range potential of the 5D, really nice. Enjoy!

Gear Used:
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 24-105 L
Canon 50mm F1.2L (two or three scenes)
Tonkix Variable ND 77mm

Settings:
14-Bit RAW [Uncompressed]
Resolution: 1856x1040
Aspect Ratio 16:9
24fps, 1/48
ISO 100

SD Card Used: SanDisk Extreme PRO 64GB

Can see some areas for improvement with the 5D2, but so far it's been good.
EOS M

Milk and Coffee

How many stops of Dynamic range is the 5D2 capable of in normal MLV raw (NOT dual iso?)
Canon 5D Mark II, Mac/OSX

ilia3101

Just look at DXO's "Screen" dynamic range to get an idea of raw video dynamic range.

reddeercity

No it's more , 11.92EV from a1ex  :D
Quote[January 17] 5D2 reaches 11.92 EV of dynamic range at ISO 81.
Of course this is on Magic Lantern ISO tweak , Not Canon firmware ISO

ZEEK

Wow really? 11.16? I always thought it was 11.9  EV! When I use the histogram/Dynamic Range Setting on the 5D2 it says 11.7/11.8 stops or so in the Live view.
EOS M

reddeercity

ZEEK

EOS M

Luther

Very nice. It was interesting to see how that 50mm looks beautiful at 03min03s, in comparison with the harshness of 03min02s. Not that the 24-105 is bad, it's just that it is way too sharp for 'cinematic' footages, IMO. Would be interesting to test some difusion ZEEk, like digicon or black pro mist. A circular polarizer could also have helped on some scenes.
That black halo on blown highlights (like on 01:15) is a side effect of aliasing? Also, it seems your LUT or processing oversaturated the skin at 01:48.
Great one. Liked the music choice too, particularly 02min37s.

ilia3101

Dxomark says 11.9 stops for the 5D mark II, but that's considering the full 21MP resolution being scaled down to print size. With video you have a much smaller resolution. I think dxomark's "Screen" measurement might be more suitable for this, as it is the dynamic at the pixel level, like viewing 1:1 on a monitor... like what you get with 1080p video on a 1080p monitor.

Hasn't anyone noticed how shadow noise in raw videos is worse than on raw photos?

Dynamic range measurements also do not consider:
- The red and blue channels are much darker than the green channel, which makes the noise look purple, but allows an extra stop to be reconstructed in the highlights of the green channel. Is this a free stop of dynamic range? Not sure.
- Some cameras need a stronger colour matrix, which means noise is more colourful and ugly

Milk and Coffee

Quote from: reddeercity on May 21, 2020, 01:47:12 AM
? I yet said 5D2 has 11.92 ,no 11.16
what @ilia3101 posted is not correct .
image below from this post from a1ex https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=10111.msg98281#msg98281

What does ML do to get the extra dynamic range? Why would canon original firmware "suppress" the dynamic range?

Walter Schulz

Have you read first post of linked thread?

It's always a good idea to check that in an ML forum thread.

yourboylloyd

Impressive as always Zeek. Perfect sharpness.

Was this 100% MLVAPP?
Join the ML discord! https://discord.gg/H7h6rfq

ZEEK

Thanks a lot :). This was a while back, but yeah it was 100% MLV App. I underexposed a majority of the boat scenes to preserve the highlights as much as I could and then lifted the shadows a bit in post.
EOS M

Milk and Coffee

reddeercity

Magic Lantern 81 ISO is 100 ISO in the menu , if you don't have magic lantern installed , you don't get 81 ISO .

Milk and Coffee

Quote from: reddeercity on May 26, 2020, 07:32:06 AM
Magic Lantern 81 ISO is 100 ISO in the menu , if you don't have magic lantern installed , you don't get 81 ISO .

Thanks @reddeercity! In the ML menus, it still says ISO 100. Do I set a "negative gain" with "ML digital iso?" Do i need to enable "Expo. Override?"

DaRealTurbo

ZEEK

Place files in a 4K Timeline on your editor, export 4K, upload to YT, done!
EOS M

2blackbar

Hey ZEEK, did You compared 5d2 and M with the same lens, same iso to check which one has better dynamic range in a scene with blownout highlights and dark shadows? I noticed that with 5D2 its going dark too fast, its harder to get good exposure because its overexposing too soon, in my opinion M has better dynamic range and its easier to get good exposure , 5D2 just either underexpose or overexpose , with M i mostly nail the exposure more easily in the same light setup.
I tried ISO 100 on both and M clearly wins when importing mlv's to MLVApp.

ZEEK

I compared them with the same lens and ISO here, but I was only comparing depth of field:
https://youtu.be/KE4SEqmuNqU
Honestly, I'm always more surprised by the DR from the 5D2, and would put it's DR over the M. In the same scene without an ND, I would have to stop it down to F22 to remove the zebras from the sky/scene, on the 5D2, it's like F16 for example.
EOS M

2blackbar

SO youre checking it by overexposure amount, ill try to compare both soon, i compared colors and 5D2 has orange bias , cant reproduce hotrod red properly.https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=20025.msg227788#msg227788

Milk and Coffee

My histogram only reports 11.2 stops DR in MLV at ISO 100 (5D2.) Is there something I'm missing? Do I need to enable something?