JALEO - 5D mark III 1080p RAW

Started by pakobagur, December 18, 2019, 04:12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pakobagur

Hi,
I would like to share with you a video I've been working on during tha last year...

https://youtu.be/jLCavU3OKoQ

All of it was shot in 14bit lossless at 1080p, 24fps:

Gear Used:
Canon 5D Mark III
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III
DJI Mavic Pro

any comments or feedback is welcomed

I hope you like it,

IDA_ML

Excellent work, quite impressive!  Congratulations!

Dmytro_ua

Really nice!
Are all these shots were made handheld?
What is your Color Grading workflow?
5d3 1.2.3 | Canon 16-35 4.0L | Canon 50 1.4 | Canon 100mm 2.8 macro
Ronin-S | Feelworld F6 PLUS

pakobagur

Thanks!, I'm glad that you liked the video  :D

yes, all shot are handheld (except of the drone shots, obviously)... I would have loved to use a gimbal,  some shots feel a bit to shaky... but it was not practical...

The color grading workflow has been pretty straightforward... nothing really fancy... it's been my first time using daVinci Resolve, which has really helped to speed up the process to try different things...

So, first I imported an xml with my edit from Premiere, and replaced all my proxies with the dng's sequences (in blackmagic film gamma),
then, to every shot, I added three nodes to add saturation, adjust the white balance, and an exposure curve... (I probably could have done that in the camera raw tab, but I like to have each adjustment in a different node),
once all the shots where corrected, I added a node in the timeline tab, with the "Parker Walbeck" LUT from Lutify.me (
also in the timeline tab it's where I have a few nodes with a global vignette, sharpening, and a bit of chromatic aberration.
After that I went into every shot again and I did a secondary color grading pass, adding local vingnettes and sharpenings...

That's pretty much it. Oh, I think that I run the stabilization in almost all shots (I prefer the warpStabilizer in after Effects honestly  ::) )

please, let me know if you have any more questions...

DeafEyeJedi

Indeed, great work @pakobagur! Perhaps to make your post-work lives easier try using MLV App by itself (even w that Parker Walbeck LUT) for the grade (and stabilization if you like) when using a correct Profile Preset and I guaranteed you will be relieved!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Dmytro_ua

Quote from: pakobagur on December 19, 2019, 01:42:12 AM
once all the shots where corrected, I added a node in the timeline tab, with the "Parker Walbeck" LUT from Lutify.me

Thanks for detailed answer  ;)

p.s. Everytime I ask about Color Correction technics and how did you get that look I receive an answer: "I applied someone else's LUT" ))  ;D ;D 8)
5d3 1.2.3 | Canon 16-35 4.0L | Canon 50 1.4 | Canon 100mm 2.8 macro
Ronin-S | Feelworld F6 PLUS

Kharak

This ended up in the wrong thread, delete post please
once you go raw you never go back

pakobagur

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on December 19, 2019, 08:31:18 AM
Indeed, great work @pakobagur! Perhaps to make your post-work lives easier try using MLV App by itself (even w that Parker Walbeck LUT) for the grade (and stabilization if you like) when using a correct Profile Preset and I guaranteed you will be relieved!
Thanks DeafEyeJedi,
MLVapp is really great,... but having a timeline where I can make final adjustements to my edit, and being able to get a realtime playback to check the continuity between shots is really a plus for Resolve...

Quote from: Dmytro_ua on December 19, 2019, 09:41:29 AM
p.s. Everytime I ask about Color Correction technics and how did you get that look I receive an answer: "I applied someone else's LUT" ))  ;D ;D 8)
yeah.. :D I also hate every time that I check a color grading tutorial and they only use luts..  :D
The effect that the "Parker Walbeck LUT" has is really minimal.. it's not a "look LUT" per se...  if I disable the node, the look does not change that much in my video.. I just like it because it adds a cohessivness to all the shots... if that makes any sense...   
the actual grading that I did was very subtle.. by slightly modifying individually the RBG curves...

jshaheen

Frayfray

Great job
What mic  did you use or just the built-in ?

pakobagur

Quote from: Frayfray on May 05, 2020, 08:16:35 AM
Great job
What mic  did you use or just the built-in ?

Hi,
I used the Rode VideoMicro
Thanks!

Luther

Nice job. I really liked the music/cinematography at 4min16s, well done.

ravegreen

Incredible video! All of it was 24p? No slow-mo/hi FPS?