My last Showreel 100% MLRaw - Canon 5D mark3

Started by Francis Frenkel, December 11, 2019, 12:43:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Francis Frenkel

This is a kinf of best-of, showreel...done with last projects...
2 minutes only.

Hope you will like it !
Sorry if you dont like it... You will have waste only 2 minutes of your life...

Done with 100% Magic Lantern RAW 1080p on Canon 5D Mark3, my best "storytool"...
The thumbail....It's my ugly face.. I am not afraid of anything !

https://vimeo.com/378757788
Francis Frenkel
www.ffrenkel.com

RH42

Great shots! Did you use 1080 for everything?

Francis Frenkel

Yes 1080. I use a very old version. But it works fine, without a bug from years now.

I have tried several versions (4k) but the one I have worked so well that I have not changed.
Francis Frenkel
www.ffrenkel.com

Dmytro_ua

Woooow!
Some shots are so cool!!
Great results

5d3 1.2.3 | Canon 16-35 4.0L | Canon 50 1.4 | Canon 100mm 2.8 macro
Ronin-S | Feelworld F6 PLUS

2blackbar

I like the girl walking shot from behind her , woman in car and that last shot also some other daytime shots, i would remove some shots under streetlights cause they lower overall asthetics.

Stousen

Superb! What build is it? Care too share??
And what lenses did u use?
Super nice work!

/chris

Luther

Very nice.
What lens did you use in the 1m36s scene (woman in red dress passes through guy with white tshirt)? It has a very cool bokeh, just like anamorphic, but there's no anamorphic distortion. I also like the shadows being green, gives this Fujifilm-look from Matrix.
Good job.

Francis Frenkel

Quote from: Luther on December 12, 2019, 05:19:05 AM
Very nice.
What lens did you use in the 1m36s scene (woman in red dress passes through guy with white tshirt)? It has a very cool bokeh, just like anamorphic, but there's no anamorphic distortion. I also like the shadows being green, gives this Fujifilm-look from Matrix.
Good job.

At 1:36 I use Dog Schidt Optiks lenses, made by Richard Gale (UK).
Flare Factory is built from optical components of HELIOS 44/2 Russian lenses.

I bought them in 2014 this guy was just beginning building crazy lenses.
My kit of Lenses have been made specifically for me (in 2014 it was still possible). Today his lenses cost so much
My kit has an oval aperture x2 at T2.8.
I got a 38mm, a 58mm and a 88mm T2.8 oval aperture.
These lenses are not being manufactured any more.

Here is new (actual) Lenses :
http://www.richardgaleoptics.uk/
Francis Frenkel
www.ffrenkel.com

Francis Frenkel

Quote from: Stousen on December 11, 2019, 10:49:45 PM
Superb! What build is it? Care too share??
And what lenses did u use?

I haven't changed firmware version since 2015 or 2016 maybe... I'm sorry, no secret.....just I dont remember. It works without any problems ... so why changing?

I use Canon lenses :

• Canon 100mm f:2.8 Macro USM
    Canon 85mm f:1.8 USM
    Canon 50mm f:1.4 USM
    Canon 35mm f:2 USM
    Canon 24mm f:1.8 USM

At 1:36  I use Dog Schidt Optiks lenses, Falre Factory oval Aperture.
Francis Frenkel
www.ffrenkel.com

Francis Frenkel

Quote from: 2blackbar on December 11, 2019, 10:19:20 PM
i would remove some shots under streetlights cause they lower overall asthetics.

Wich ones ?
The guy walking ?
Francis Frenkel
www.ffrenkel.com

Kharak

Good stuff as alway, Francis.

But you should look in to Lossless 14 bit, you effectively double the amount you can record to your cards, with 100% same quality(lossless). Also increases file transfer 2x, post-production works with about half of the bandwith, meaning almost doubled performance in NLE and Grading programs.

If you feel unsure about it, buy a 2nd 5d3 and install it for testing and to get a hang of the lossless 14 bit post process as the Legacy converters won't work with. But there is mlv app and Danne's Batch converter. Both are superb.

Its overall a win win and if you get a 2nd 5d3, you can do multicam too, further increasing delivery.
once you go raw you never go back

Francis Frenkel

Quote from: Kharak on December 16, 2019, 11:58:24 AM
Good stuff as alway, Francis.

But you should look in to Lossless 14 bit, you effectively double the amount you can record to your cards, with 100% same quality(lossless). Also increases file transfer 2x, post-production works with about half of the bandwith, meaning almost doubled performance in NLE and Grading programs.

If you feel unsure about it, buy a 2nd 5d3 and install it for testing and to get a hang of the lossless 14 bit post process as the Legacy converters won't work with. But there is mlv app and Danne's Batch converter. Both are superb.

Thank you very much !

Could you advise me on a link to download this lossless 14 bit firmware version ?
I got the 1.1.3 canon firmware => is it compatible with Lossless 14bits ?

You mean that I wont be able to encode the DNGs with  Batch_MLV if I use a lossless 14 bit ?
Francis Frenkel
www.ffrenkel.com

Kharak

The Crop_rec_4k.2018jul22 for Fir. 1.1.3 is stable and (I believe) still running on most cameras that are using lossless builds. 

The same build for fir 1.2.3 can cause some memory errors caused by RAW_twk and MLV_play. Which does not brick the camera, but it makes you stuck with that build until A1ex fixes it. I am stuck on this build but I can still use both my cameras except for playing MLV in camera, which will turn up nasty error messages and  A1ex's recommendation for me was to stay away from anything that initiates these errors.
Not being able to play MLV in camera is not a big deal for me, as you can't judge a performance by it anyways, you'll need an external recorder for that. Though, it is unfortunate that I can not test Danne'e 4k Builds, they seem very interesting.

Which brings me to Danne's 4k builds. https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=23041.0
They offer even further tuning of the 5D3, like Pseudo 5k Resolution and other very interesting stuff, but I have no first hand experience with it and I have no idea if it is stable or a deep menu dive for every operation.

Danne's Batch_MLV works 100% with Lossless 14 bit. I do recommend you get the newest version of it though, as Danne added the -skip--xref option which will make sure that all MLV audio is converted, this was an issue before where none or only parts of the audio were in the final output.
Newest Batch_MLV Build: https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=10526.msg215946#msg215946

Good Luck and as always, do as much reading as possible beforehand, read the thread on Danne's 4k build for the ins and outs and ask around if you are in question of something, this is a forum after all.

Danne

Unless these problems(see pull request below) are corrected some way I would not trust Crop_rec_4k.2018jul22 build. Especially the power timing registry issue which is rare but ruins recording when it happens. Looping in and out of x10 zoom in higher fps modes are also hanging the camera but I do some fps workaround which seems to work fairly ok.
https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/pull-requests/960/crop-rec-4k-pull-requests/diff

Kharak

OKey, I am not aware of this Power Timing Registry issue, what does it do? I don't see it on 123.

And I believe Francis wants to use the camera in normal 3x3 14 bit lossless, only gaining the increased capacity and post-process. Is there also an issue there?

Again, not sure how it works on 113, but on 22 july 2018 - Fir 123, when in High Fps modes, to avoid crash when toggling through 5x,10 and back to 3x3 you can set Half-Shutter press to Clear Overlays and holding Half-shutter while toggling through, this way it does not crash.

Danne

No time searching but both issues are adressed in my builds

Kharak

Okey thank you, I will look at it when I have time.

IDA_ML

Quote from: Francis Frenkel on December 17, 2019, 08:56:50 AM
Could you advise me on a link to download this lossless 14 bit firmware version ?
I got the 1.1.3 canon firmware => is it compatible with Lossless 14bits ?

The experimental build that you need is called:

crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2019Dec12.5D3113

and you can download it from here:

https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/downloads/

I can confirm that it works very well with all compressed modes and is quite stable too.  Please give it a test and see how it works for you.  Personally, I like to use 12-bit lossless.  The difference to 14-bit lossless is negligible and barely perceptible but it will save you even more card and disk space.

Dmytro_ua

Quote from: IDA_ML on December 18, 2019, 02:32:49 PM
The difference to 14-bit lossless is negligible and barely perceptible but it will save you even more card and disk space.

Is there a significant size difference in real world situations? I didn't test 12lossless to much but in menu it shows only less then 2MB/s difference (14lossless vs 12lossless). Or is it wrong calculations?
5d3 1.2.3 | Canon 16-35 4.0L | Canon 50 1.4 | Canon 100mm 2.8 macro
Ronin-S | Feelworld F6 PLUS

Francis Frenkel

Quote from: IDA_ML on December 18, 2019, 02:32:49 PM
The experimental build that you need is called:

crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2019Dec12.5D3113

and you can download it from here:

https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/downloads/

I can confirm that it works very well with all compressed modes and is quite stable too.  Please give it a test and see how it works for you.  Personally, I like to use 12-bit lossless.  The difference to 14-bit lossless is negligible and barely perceptible but it will save you even more card and disk space.

I will test it this weekend !
Thank-you all so much for your advises.

this is time and the opportunity to change my old firmware version, especially if I gain fluidity and disk space !

Thank you again so much.

Francis Frenkel
www.ffrenkel.com

Kharak

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: Kharak on December 19, 2019, 12:37:25 PM
SlimRAW can not be recommended enough.

Agreed. It's still one of the best investments as far as keeping our ML Post lives light while saving disk spaces.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109