Thanksgiving Holiday

Started by KirbyLikes525, December 04, 2019, 10:37:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KirbyLikes525

Track:
O.C.
Born 2 Live (Album Version)

Nothing new in my processing or post but I rendered to HEVC(H.265) instead of AVC(H.264) while keeping the same bitrate because of what I read in the wiki article:
"In comparison to AVC, HEVC offers from 25% to 50% better data compression at the same level of video quality, or substantially improved video quality at the same bit rate." Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Efficiency_Video_Coding

I also rendered the file at constant bit rate instead of variable because ALL of the video hosting sites (YouTube, Vimeo, Facebook) re-encode the video anyway so let them re-encode from a constant high bit rate file - just as musicians/record labels do when uploading their music for streaming and digital distribution as a 24-bit wav to be re-encoded as .ogg, .aac, or .mp3 by the hosting site.
5D Mark II
10 bit 12 bit Experimental Build

Luther

Nice. Are you using some LUT?
I rendered to HEVC(H.265) instead of AVC(H.264)
The issue with this is that it's slow. I'm using H.264 with these settings:

ffmpeg -i input.mov -c:v libx264 -preset slow -crf 18 -tune film -coder cabac -pix_fmt yuv420p -c:a aac -b:a 320k -metadata title="" -map_metadata -1 -map_chapters -1 -disposition 0 -hide_banner -movflags +faststart output.mp4

This is relatively fast in comparison with HEVC and gives a high quality output. If you're really worried about youtube losses, and you have a good internet connection, maybe try to upload a ProRes 422 LT directly. Either way, the bitrate for 1080p doesn't got higher than 5MB/s (yours is 3565, according to youtube-dl). If you use Premiere, see this plugin: Voukoder.
Can't await for AV1 to come. I've tested the rust encoder other day, but it is still too slow, unfortunately. The compression ratio is impressive, though.

KirbyLikes525

QuoteNice. Are you using some LUT?
Thanks! In Premiere I use the 'Kodak 5218 Kodak 2383 (by Adobe)' LUT and tweak it to my liking.

QuoteThe issue with this is that it's slow.
Yes, I've learned it's painfully slow, as you already know lol.

QuoteThis is relatively fast in comparison with HEVC and gives a high quality output. If you're really worried about youtube losses, and you have a good internet connection, maybe try to upload a ProRes 422 LT directly.
I'm just now starting to play around with ffmpeg so thanks for the code! I'm happy with my Adobe H.264 settings but I don't always have access to it so this will help in those times. And I'll definitely try the ProRes LT. This video was 368MB variable bitrate and ~480MB constant bitrate so I'll see how it compares to the LT. I'm not scared of large file sizes but it's a tradeoff due to the amount of video I have archived for clients.

QuoteIf you use Premiere, see this plugin: Voukoder.
It encodes VP9, interesting! I'll look into the AV1 as well.
5D Mark II

cmh

From a technical standpoint colors are great, the grade is great, it's shot run and gun, the edit is great.
Maybe consider uploading in 4k just so you get a higher bitrate, I get better details this way (It's def less blocky on pans).
In my opinion, the best thing is that there is a little story, it isn't just b-rolls. It is a wholesome video really.
I ended up watching the whole thing without realizing it. Congrats.

KirbyLikes525

Quote from: cmh on December 10, 2019, 09:24:59 AM
From a technical standpoint colors are great, the grade is great, it's shot run and gun, the edit is great.
Maybe consider uploading in 4k just so you get a higher bitrate, I get better details this way (It's def less blocky on pans).
In my opinion, the best thing is that there is a little story, it isn't just b-rolls. It is a wholesome video really.
I ended up watching the whole thing without realizing it. Congrats.

Thank you for the kind compliment! Story telling is something I've been working on so I'm glad it came across to you.

And thanks for pointing out the bitrate because I need to revisit the 2k crop rec build. Like you said, the HD YouTube codec doesn't do it justice and I upscaled from 1080 to 4k some months ago but it looked atrocious lol. So I have downloaded a 2k crop rec build but only played with it 1 day. I think it's ridiculous we have to upload 2k/4k to get a decent bitrate with their vp9 codec.
5D Mark II

cmh

For my 2,5k footage, I export upscaled 4k prores 444 12 bits from MLVApp to Resolve. Once edited and denoised in Resolve, I export to dnxhr 444 12 bit and reencode to x264 crf 10 veryslow preset with ffmpeg or Handbrake before uploading to Youtube.
Some professionals upload in prores 444 12 bit but my upload speed is pretty damn slow and there's no point to upload past x264 crf 10 according to this chart from Blackmagic's forum. (SSIM is the structural similarity, 100 being similar to the source):

The result will be below crf 26 but providing a decent source helps. I should try 8k.