Non ML firmware update failed

Started by AndySV1K, November 26, 2019, 07:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndySV1K

Hi all,

Hope this is ok to post here as it's not ML related as such.

I went to run a firmware update on my 5D iii the other day and it's stuck in a loop of trying to run the update.  Always fails at 54% and only thing I can do is remove the battery.  If i boot without card it just says it can't find the firmware file.  If I boot with the card in then it goes to the firmware update screen and my only option is to select ok and let it try to update again but always fails at 54%.

I used a card that was formatted in the camera.  Camera set to P with a full battery in.

Don't know if there's anything I can do to get it out of the loop and restored or if I'm going to have to get it repaired.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Andy.

Walter Schulz

Use another card, preferable a smaller one. Copy firmware file to card and retry. Report back

a1ex

I've seen official firmware updates getting stuck at some percentage in the past, but never understood why (and back then, I didn't know how to start troubleshooting such issues). Now I can at least give it a try.

QuoteIf i boot without card it just says it can't find the firmware file.  If I boot with the card in then it goes to the firmware update screen and my only option is to select ok

Translation: the main firmware flag is disabled.

If you already have the boot flag enabled (if this camera had ML installed before the event), the first step would be to run the portable ROM dumper, and send me (privately) a copy of the ROMs. Your camera will accept autoexec.bin files in this state, as long as you make the card bootable manually (EosCard/MacBoot/make_bootable.sh).

If your boot flag is not enabled, I'll prepare a FIR version of the ROM dumper.

Then, to diagnose the firmware update, we have 2 options:
- UART adapter (easiest and probably safest option, if you are comfortable with such things)
- software-level diagnostics (I did such experiments in the past, but in QEMU only; didn't have the guts to run them on a real camera)

Option #2 may take longer.

AndySV1K

Quote from: Walter Schulz on November 30, 2019, 04:11:52 AM
Use another card, preferable a smaller one. Copy firmware file to card and retry. Report back

I have tried a couple of different cards.  I've also tried inserting a card with an earlier version of the firmware just in case it didn't like the jump of multiple revisions.  Both options resulted in exactly the same 54% fail.

AndySV1K

Quote from: a1ex on November 30, 2019, 07:27:53 AM
I've seen official firmware updates getting stuck at some percentage in the past, but never understood why (and back then, I didn't know how to start troubleshooting such issues). Now I can at least give it a try.

Translation: the main firmware flag is disabled.

If you already have the boot flag enabled (if this camera had ML installed before the event), the first step would be to run the portable ROM dumper, and send me (privately) a copy of the ROMs. Your camera will accept autoexec.bin files in this state, as long as you make the card bootable manually (EosCard/MacBoot/make_bootable.sh).

If your boot flag is not enabled, I'll prepare a FIR version of the ROM dumper.

Then, to diagnose the firmware update, we have 2 options:
- UART adapter (easiest and probably safest option, if you are comfortable with such things)
- software-level diagnostics (I did such experiments in the past, but in QEMU only; didn't have the guts to run them on a real camera)

Option #2 may take longer.

Hi A1ex,

Thanks for your input.  The camera hasn't ever had ML installed on it so suspect option 1 is no go.

I'm not totally green to things like this but no expert and doing it on my 5D....eeeek!!
If I can connect up to the UART adapter, what would be available to me for diagnostics?  Is there software available?

Thanks

Andy.