Shutterless ND simulation using FLV

Started by garry23, November 24, 2019, 06:07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garry23

As MLV App's processing limit when averaging is currently 128 frames, I've added in some feedback to tell you what the estimated number of frames in your LE MLV clip will be.

If it is, say, greater than 120, you can decide to go ahead anyway, and handle the clip in post, ie split it, or decide to adjust the FPS.

As usual, the latest version is here: https://gist.github.com/pigeonhill/4efb0fdde3f4cc710dd1f7097ec0f821

At the moment the feedback does clash a little with other text on the screen, however, a half shutter usually brings some clarity.

Cheers

Garry

ilia3101

QuoteAs MLV App's processing limit when averaging is currently 128 frames, I've added in some feedback to tell you what the estimated number of frames in your LE MLV clip will be.

Isn't there a way to average a whole MLV in to a new single frame MLV? Then process that...

Danne

Yup. If it's not shifting iso mlv_dump averaging is working fine.

garry23

QuoteIsn't there a way to average a whole MLV in to a new single frame MLV? Then process that...

The problem is the only Win version of MLV App I have is the one I can download from the first page on the MLV App post.

I need to wait until someone compiles at tmix tweak, i.e. from a 128 limit to, say, 1000.

Danne

Mlv averaging work for all os versions I think. @masc?
If you want ffmpeg compiled tmix filter don't hold your breath. Only official change is if compiling is as reliable as the official build. Takes a while to work out the environment and I think it's of low priority.

garry23

QuoteMlv averaging work for all os versions I think. @masc?

Maybe I'm misreading understanding things.

I thought TIFF averaging of an MLV in MLV App had a 128 limit?

Danne

Mlv averaging into an averaged mlv is working. That mlv can be exported to tiff.

garry23

Got it.

So If I carry on doing the two step process, I'm good to go  :)

Thanks for clarifying/reminding me.

I'll leave in the warning feedback, as it only tells you how many frames you will capture.

Cheers

Garry

masc

Quote from: Danne on December 18, 2019, 07:39:03 AM
Mlv averaging work for all os versions I think. @masc?
Yes, works on all supported OS.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

garry23

Just an update of the UI, but the script remains a little clunky, as my workflow interacts with LV, movie and ML menu modes.

Latest version is here: https://gist.github.com/pigeonhill/4efb0fdde3f4cc710dd1f7097ec0f821

This version gives you an estimate of the number of frames that will be captured, but as was pointed out by @Danne, if over 128 you will need to 'double process' the averaged output in MLV App. If the number of frames is 128 or less, then you can single process the average as a TIFF.

masc

Quote from: garry23 on December 18, 2019, 05:24:27 PM
... if over 128 you will need to 'double process' the averaged output in MLV App.
That is just right for TIFF export. MLV averaging has no limit. As written above.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

Quote from: masc on December 18, 2019, 06:23:35 PM
That is just right for TIFF export. MLV averaging has no limit. As written above.
8) repeat,repeat,repeat...

garry23

@Danne

Not sure what you are moaning at me about now.

All I said was you can directly average, via the TIF preset, if you have an MLV with 128 or less frames. If your MLV has more than 128 frames then you first create an averaged MLV, step 1, then export that single frame MLV as. TIF, step 2.

Danne

Well that's good. Not very clear in the first description.
Merry christmas!
/moaner ;)

garry23

garry23

I thought I would put up an image taken with the help of this script.

The base exposure was 0.3s and I captured a 75 image MLV, ie a shutterless simulated LE of about 23s.

I've reduced it in size for posting here.

BTW the location is Port Quin in Cornwall.

DeafEyeJedi

Beautiful shot and thanks for sharing the updated script for Shutterless ND simulation using FLV @garry23!  8)
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

garry23

@DeafEyeJedi

Not that beautiful and I didn't remove sensor spots from the smoothed out sea, a downside of LE photography, ie tidying up water as well as sky  ;)

Despite this, I'm content with the script and now I can travel lighter, ie without loads of NDs.

My Christmas break job is to test the script on my EOSMs, and report back here.

Cheers

Garry

Update. Just realised, unless I'm wrong, that the EOSM won't capture FLV.

Danne

This might be of interest:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg223648#msg223648

Specify amount of frames you want recorded then stop automatically. Connected to my tlapse script it will give full control over average functionality.

garry23

@Danne

BTW where is your tlapse script?

Danne

In lua section. Called tlapse rec delay script or similar. Not my cam here.

garry23

garry23

First of all a big thank you to @Danne for his 5D3 updates, and second a continuing thank you to @a1ex for putting up with my questions.

This post announces the release of the Shutterless ND script that only works on a 5D3 and with @Danne's 29th Dec 2019 release from here https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=23041.msg216899#msg216899

The script may be downloaded from here: https://gist.github.com/pigeonhill/63868de59db453491dba0065eec62ee7

The script's purpose is to create a single MLV full res video to allow you, in post, to simulate a long exposure.

The script appears stable enough for me to release it, although I seem to get the odd ML 'back end' error thrown up now and then. When this occurs I simply switch the camera off and on and all seems OK.

As usual the script was written for me and my workflow  ;)

To use it simply run the script LESM (D) under the script menu.

You need to start in photo mode, but you can be in LV or not.

The shutter range is limited to 0.15 to 5 seconds.

The script is designed to take you through the following workflow, via on screen prompts:

Step 1: check everything out and set up a few things

Step 2: allow the user to tweak the shutter, desired FPS and bulb time; then press TRASH to continue (note ignore RAW video feedback, as we are not in video mode yet)

Step 3: now get into movie mode. Pressing MENU or a halfshutter will refresh things if ML doesn't display things correctly. The script provide feedback on ND time and the number of frames it will capture

Step 4: now capture the MLV ND simulation

Step 5: now adjust exposure, if required, and take an advanced exposure bracket set, or more if required. Remember to set up the bracketing to suit your needs, eg auto works well, and switch it off.

As I say, follow the on screen prompts.

Finally, process in MLV App and Photoshop as required.