2.5K RAW Very Nice Resolution - EOS M Raw + 12mm | Farmlands

Started by ZEEK, November 18, 2019, 09:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZEEK

The Farmlands | Canon EOS M *2.5K* ML RAW [16:9] & 7Artisans 12mm F2.8 | Magic Lantern Raw Film

Gear:
Canon EOS M w/ ML RAW
7Artisans 12mm F2.8 (Budget Wide Lens)
Gorilla Pod [All Hand-Held Footage]
Variable ND
Tiffen 1/4

Settings:
24p
1/33
ISO 100
- 2.5K Raw Mode [Most Shot @2.3K, Upscaled to 2.8K in MLV App which has less stress on hard drive space and looks really good!]
- DUAL ISO 100/800 some scenes.
- Mostly exposed for the sky using 100% Zebra
- Basic Grading [MLV App], Files arranged in FCPX and placed in a 4K Timeline.

Amazed by the level of detail coming from the EOS M & 2.5K Raw. Even on a 4K Monitor it looks detailed. May have to use this mode more often.
EOS M

IDA_ML

Hi Zeek,

Beautiful scenery!  Have you compared 2,5k (1:1) with 5k anamorphic in terms of overall image quality, resolution and aliasing when shooting wide angle videography and what are your impressions and recommendations?

Thanks.

ZEEK

Hey. I tested the two modes and it was easy to see 2.5K Mode is Superior in Quality and Overal Detail. The resolution looks outstanding for a camera at this price point. From all the clips I have recorded, i have never seen aliasing. Even on city buildings, brick walls, fences etc. You can use Dual ISO in conjunction but it will have a tiny bit of aliasing. Overall, 2.5K is for the win! Speechless..
EOS M

IDA_ML

Thanks Zeek.  And what about the Viltrox speedbooster?  Does it degrade image quality to a perceptible level?  I find the possibility to make wide angle lenses even wider and brighter very exciting.

ZEEK

This was an EOS M [EF-M] Mount Lens so no speedbooster used here. 2.5K has a crop of around ~2.9x so very useable with 16mm format lens. Viltrox speedbooster is absolutely fine, no issues here at all. Use it with my Panasonic cameras too, no issues at all. I don't see any degradation, and nobody watching my videos has ever mentioned any degradation. If I never told you, you probably would notice the difference between the Viltrox and the Metabones version both of which I own.
With 2.5k Mode, yes, the wider the lens the better. 35mm on a speedbooster and less is better. Good options are Samyang 12mm, 14mm, 16mm or Tokina 11-16/Sigma 18-35mm which will work perfectly with 2.5K RAW...Insane, in fact.
EOS M

DeafEyeJedi

Indeed, the Tokina 11-20 is decent enough for a budget wide-angle zoom especially while utilizing the Viltrox speedbooster together. It's just insanely marvelous!

Nice work on these lovely skies @ZEEK!  8)

Dual-ISO is in 1:23 and few more afterwards, right? Ha.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

ZEEK

Love Tokina Colour! :) I mainly exposed for the skies ignoring some dark shadows and lifted them up in post - risky, but wasn't bad as I expected it to be [Thanks YouTube! :P]
Dual-ISO ALL @ 100/800 Shots from Memory:
- 0:21, 0:38, 0:41, 1:00 (my favourite), 1:05, 1:08 & 1:23.

*In MLV App, just [Turn Off] "Highlight Reconstruction" otherwise...you get green casts/flickering in underexposed areas.
EOS M

LittleBig M

ZEEK

EOS M

IDA_ML

ZEEK

EOS M

2blackbar

Did You tested different cards to get more recording time in 2.5k mode ? Im maxed out at about 10 secs on highest res 2520x1416 but it might be M's card reader bootleneck.

ZEEK

I wouldn't say more recording time...
After using my Lexar PRO 1000X 128GB for a long time with my EOS M, I decided to go back and test the Sandisk Extreme PRO 32GB & 64GB [95mb/s] that I use with my M2's, and man were they pretty poor in performance. With 16:9 it's like 3 seconds max in 2.5k @ max resolution 16:9. With My lexar, I got a max of 8-10 seconds @ Full Resolution 16:9. I'm yet to test my 170mb/s versions of Sandisk Extreme PRO.  ;)
EOS M