nature video using resolve ACES + REC2020 @ ISO 200

Started by 70MM13, November 06, 2019, 03:05:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

70MM13

yep, you read it right, I shot this one using stock canon iso 200...  I know i have been pushing too hard on here to get people to try iso111, and i apologize for that.

this was the first time in almost two years I shot something using a stock canon iso!  yes, it is still possible for me!  ;)

doing this was a truly eye opening experience that i would like to relate to you:

first of all, it was such a treat to not deal with the hack ;)

but seriously, let's get into the results...

a1ex is correct (of course!) that the gains in dynamic range are around a quarter to a half stop using the gain reduction, but i have to tell you, it makes a big difference when filming.  i'll get into that in a bit.

as you can see by the video, it still looks great.  there's no noise reduction here, and the noise is only slightly worse than my other episodes.  BUT...  i had to reshoot the video!  I originally shot it yesterday using the same exposures i would be using @iso111, and while filming i had no idea that anything was wrong until i loaded the footage into mlvapp to convert to dng.  suddenly i saw all this ugly noise in the shadows! :(

i didn't know it, but i have gotten spoiled by using the gain reduction for so long, and i had forgotten what stock canon iso does to darker areas when lifted!

so i reshot it today, but i pushed the exposure as hard as possible without clipping, and then things were more in line, just very slightly noisier than 111.

when i loaded it into resolve, i had to work just a little harder to get things looking right.  getting the balance right between the highlights and the overall brightness of the image wasn't as automagic as it was on the last episode, even though i am using precisely the same setup.  not a huge deal, but you may notice this is not quite as bright as the iso 111 episodes.  this is that slight loss of dynamic range in action...

again, as you can see, it is not earth shatteringly different, but there is a definite gain to be had by reducing the gain :P

possibly most importantly for me is how much easier it is to shoot while using iso 111.  if this makes sense, it feels more like a film camera.  the shadows are more robust, and one doesn't have to push so hard to keep them clean.  it just makes filming more enjoyable for me.

see the episode for yourself:

PS: i won't be evangelizing 111 anymore.  it is up to everyone else to play with it if they wish to!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSsicyDa7gY

Luther

Regardless of this ISO discussion, the dynamic range is pretty impressive. Even through shadows from clouds and bright sun shines, it still holds all details. Color is good, as always. Think you got the best workflow going.

About the video, nice talk about meditation. I don't practice yet, but I find it hightly interesting for health purposes (some studies link it to higher BDNF levels and less anxiety).
Off-topic, but, would like to recommend an animation called "Mushishi" (in particular episode 12 of season 1, but all of them are good). Think you'll like it.

70MM13

you helped me so much with your suggestions for colourspaces.  i always knew the potential was in there, but i just couldn't get everything in the same frame until now.  it was always a case of fixing some aspect of the image at the expense of another.  finally, it is possible (and easy!) to get things looking right!

it's still a little bit convoluted sometimes depending on the exposure, but it is still ridiculously easy compared to "almost impossible" ;)

70MM13

regarding meditation,

the health benefits are definitely real, and it seems like almost every day there's some new study showing this benefit or that.  the best benefit for people locked in society is how it can help them to break free from their obsessions with who they think they have to be (wearing a mask at a costume ball).  to be freed from that is a great liberation for anyone!

i guide group walks doing forest bathing, and it is always a great experience.  alone is best, but for people to start off in a group definitely helps to get them off on the right foot ;)

DeafEyeJedi

Indeed, impressive work @70MM13 and now you're pushing me closer to the dark side on ISO Registers.

So it seems you prefer to shoot in ISO 200 rather than in ISO 111 just because of different tweaking done in post?

Am I following the bouncing ball correctly or no?  :P
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

70MM13

i actually find it easier to grade 111 but it's not a massive difference...

using this new setup makes grading a much better experience for everything :)