Canon EOS M RAW | Forest to The City w/ Canon 50mm F1.2 L | Magic Lantern RAW

Started by ZEEK, November 05, 2019, 11:01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZEEK

Canon EOS M RAW | Forest to The City w/ Canon 50mm F1.2 L | Magic Lantern RAW Video

A short video I put together with the EOS M Raw and Canon 50mm f1.2L It was a cold, rainy day with no blue sky :( even in spring, but lucky the lens has weather sealing. Some errors here and there, but it's all a part of learning I guess.
All hand-held, with post stabilisation.

Gear:
Canon EOS M w/ Magic Lantern RAW
EOS M RIG
Canon 50mm F1.2 L
Metabones EF to Ef-m Speedbooster
CPL Filter 77mm
Tiffen Black Pro-Mist 1/4
FOTGA Variable ND 77mm

Settings:
MCM 1080 Rewire
ISO 100
23.976 FPS
1/48 [Image Fine-Tuning & Shutter Lock]
Graded in MLV App - used Bicubic Spline, 100% Sharpen, Alexa Log C & Wide Gamut, upscaled to 2.8k [16:9] w/ prores 4444 and then exported in a 4K Timeline in Final Cut [FCPX]
EOS M

DeafEyeJedi

No matter how cold or rainy it gets the 50L could never let you down. It's such a nice piece of glass tho I can get arthritis in my wrist.  :P

I love the fact that you used ISO 100 for majority of the shots, if not all. Do the reflections from CPL/Variable ND bother you?

Also in the beginning (0:23) at an intersection... I noticed the Red Stop Light had a flickering going on. What gives?

The scene where the older guy sneezes halfway through the stairs is priceless.  Gotta get that Rig since I'm left-handed too. :D

Just curious what made you decide to use 100% of Sharpen in MLV_App in prior to export?

Also why choose the Metabones speedbooster as oppose to Viltrox that you have? I think I already know the answer...

Regardless, You've inspired me to try my 50L on the EOSM together with a speed booster that should be arriving in the mail soon.

Though it is a Viltrox EF-M2 (Mark I, not Mark II) since I had found it online for a decent deal.

Worried that I may send it back for a Mark II. Or better yet for the Metabones. Hopefully not though.

Thanks for sharing your work @ZEEK and I appreciate your eagerness within the community.  8)
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

ZEEK

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on November 05, 2019, 11:43:37 PM
No matter how cold or rainy it gets the 50L could never let you down. It's such a nice piece of glass tho I can get arthritis in my wrist.  :P
I agree it's a beast for horrible weather ;)

I love the fact that you used ISO 100 for majority of the shots, if not all. Do the reflections from CPL/Variable ND bother you?
I used ISO 100 for ALL shots. I don't mind the reflections, but honestly, I probably should have taken off the CPL filter inside :o

I noticed the Red Stop Light had a flickering going on. What gives?
Yeah, I don't know what caused the flickering. I had FPS Override set to the 23.976 etc. Maybe I'll set 24fps next time? Also had shutter-lock on and fine-tuning although this was the first time I had encountered this. Maybe I should have double-tapped the menu button to refresh? not sure.

The scene where the older guy sneezes halfway through the stairs is priceless.  Gotta get that Rig since I'm left-handed too. :D
Haha, yeah had to keep that shot in the video. Actors play a big part in developing the story ;) The rig is great, love it. Reminds me of a BMMCC setup or a RED. The setup I used is here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hJy3uerC7o&t=70s

Just curious what made you decide to use 100% of Sharpen in MLV_App in prior to export?
I adjust it all the time depending on the subject. Here I just wanted maximum detail, and sharpening with Final CUT looks worse so, yeah.

Also why choose the Metabones speedbooster as oppose to Viltrox that you have? I think I already know the answer...
I have like 5 EOS M's now, so...theyre occupied with the Viltrox and I use them for other things. The EOS M I used with this video usually has the Metabones so I used it instead. But the Metabones and viltrox look the same, except the metabones has better sharpness and corners wide open and I didn't want to let down the F1.2L @Wide Open.

Regardless, You've inspired me to try my 50L on the EOSM together with a speed booster that should be arriving in the mail soon.
Awesome!! Great combo, but expensive :( The Samyang 50mm is also a good choice, but when you need Canon colours the L glass don't disappoint.

Worried that I may send it back for a Mark II. Or better yet for the Metabones. Hopefully not though.
I love the Viltrox, I used it for my Youtube videos of me talking to the camera. Honestly, MANY won't be able to tell the difference between the two. If you're aperture is stuck wide open, the metabones would be the better choice. Stop them down, you'll have a hard time.

EOS M

IDA_ML

Excellent work, as always, Zeek!  It is absolutely amazing how you manage to move the camera so smoothly handheld and without any stabilization when filming.  Congratulations on your skills with camera movement and framing!

I have a question for you.  Have you tried the much cheaper EF 50/1,4 lens for such type of street videography?  I found that stopping it down to F1,6 to reduce chromatic aberations, the lens provides quite pleasing results and you can still take advantage of the natural Canon's colors.

bakersdozen

@DeafEyeJedi What is the difference between the vi and vii on the Viltrox speed booster? All I can find online is that the vii has upgraded gold contacts. Wouldn't the upgradable firmware ensure they perform the same?
EOS M + 5D3

ZEEK

Quote from: IDA_ML on November 06, 2019, 11:29:40 AM
I have a question for you.  Have you tried the much cheaper EF 50/1,4 lens for such type of street videography?  I found that stopping it down to F1,6 to reduce chromatic aberrations, the lens provides quite pleasing results and you can still take advantage of the natural Canon's colors.

Hey, thanks a lot for the input, appreciate it! It's a small but capable camera :)
To answer your question, yes, I have tried the 50mm f1.4. I have also used the Old Sigma 50mm f1.4 EX DG HSM and have found that to be better in every way when I was comparing the two whilst I had them. The Canon 50mm f1.8 STM also is good. Yes stopping it down it does get better and the colours are pleasant for sure. If you ever get the chance to borrow or try the Sigma 50mm EX DG HSM, I'm sure you'll like that too! Thanks! 8)
EOS M

Luther

Nice one. Nailed the setup (well, I like the Contax better, but I love Black Pro Mist). Good colors, no noise, sharp, good contrast.

Quote from: ZEEK on November 06, 2019, 01:48:08 AM
Yeah, I don't know what caused the flickering. I had FPS Override set to the 23.976 etc. Maybe I'll set 24fps next time? Also had shutter-lock on and fine-tuning although this was the first time I had encountered this. Maybe I should have double-tapped the menu button to refresh? not sure.

Kinda off-topic, but this issue happened *a lot* in this video. This is bugging me, man. It seems like the frames are "stuck". The scene at 35s has this a lot, made me dizzy even. Don't know if that's some issue with my monitor or player. Have anyone counted the number of frames in one second? Maybe it is dropping to something like 19 fps without anyone knowing? Dunno, this doesn't happen a lot in videos from other cameras, only on EOS M.

Danne

I don't notice anything awkward on fps side. Watching on my phone.
ZEEK. Pinks in highlights should be tweakable in post.

DeafEyeJedi

Great catch @Danne -- I second this too. Not a deal breaker tho.

Here's a cropped screenshot from scene 2:51 below:

I used ISO 100 for ALL shots. I don't mind the reflections, but honestly, I probably should have taken off the CPL filter inside :o

I feel you. It happens. All about compromise. Still looks intentional and usually that's a good thing.

Perhaps. I get them sometimes when facing towards lights with a certain frequency? Not a deal breaker.

Haha, yeah had to keep that shot in the video. Actors play a big part in developing the story ;) The rig is great, love it. Reminds me of a BMMCC setup or a RED. The setup I used is here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hJy3uerC7o&t=70s

Agreed. Thanks for sharing this.

I adjust it all the time depending on the subject. Here I just wanted maximum detail, and sharpening with Final CUT looks worse so, yeah.

Makes perfect sense.

I have like 5 EOS M's now, so...theyre occupied with the Viltrox and I use them for other things. The EOS M I used with this video usually has the Metabones so I used it instead. But the Metabones and viltrox look the same, except the metabones has better sharpness and corners wide open and I didn't want to let down the F1.2L @Wide Open.

Ha, gotcha. This is indeed quite intriguing to hear. I'll get to the bottom of this one way or another as soon as it arrives.  :)

Awesome!! Great combo, but expensive :( The Samyang 50mm is also a good choice, but when you need Canon colours the L glass don't disappoint.

Can't go wrong w Canon glass especially when utilizing ML + MLV_App together. It's addicting and quite scary!  :o

Even more so when using vintage lenses such as thee Zeiss', FD's, Nikon's and those Russian lenses!!!   :P

I love the Viltrox, I used it for my Youtube videos of me talking to the camera. Honestly, MANY won't be able to tell the difference between the two. If you're aperture is stuck wide open, the metabones would be the better choice. Stop them down, you'll have a hard time.

Good to know. Sounds more like I'll end up keeping it. Just hoping I wouldn't have to do this so-called trick to fix the infinity issues.

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: bakersdozen on November 06, 2019, 11:35:46 AM
@DeafEyeJedi What is the difference between the vi and vii on the Viltrox speed booster? All I can find online is that the vii has upgraded gold contacts. Wouldn't the upgradable firmware ensure they perform the same?

Not sure TBH. I noticed that too re: differences w gold contacts but I don't really use AF while shooting so it didn't matter at this point.

It should arrive in the mail this week. Will share my findings when I can. No need to hijack this thread from @ZEEK's fine work.

LittleBig M

Nice clean video with only one lens!!! Mixing lights in museums is sometimes a nightmare.
I have a few questions for you Zeek.

On 50 mm f 1,2 did you use full time manual focus or did you switch to AF for assist? The 50 L has a relatively short focus is definitely not one my favs for video.

For filters you used Variable ND, CPL, and BPM 1/4. Did you use all three together at once and do all three have the same size? I'm just asking because the BPM hates any space between other filters(step up/down rings) that window shot ghosting/reflection is maybe a result of space between the BPM and other filters.

And my last question is on your ratio of usable to non-usable clips. I Aim for roughly 60-40 when using the eos m, I ask because my ratio is much lower on eos m when compared to others cameras.

Thanks for sharing your work and answering questions on this forum!

ZEEK

Quote from: Danne on November 06, 2019, 05:06:49 PM
Pinks in highlights should be tweakable in post.
Haha, yeah I know, I just didnt see them in post as I don't tweak things much in Final Cut. I just order them, place the sound track and that's it.
Everything was done in MLV APP. But I brought the white level from 14000 to 16333 and then lowered the highlights. The issue was copying this white level setting with reduced highlights to all the clips and then missing the pink highlights (oops!🤣).
EOS M

ZEEK

Quote from: Luther on November 06, 2019, 04:36:19 PM
Maybe it is dropping to something like 19 fps without anyone knowing? Dunno, this doesn't happen a lot in videos from other cameras, only on EOS M.

It hasn't ever happened @1/50 only when fps override, image fine tuning and 1/48 is set and exposed to specific lighting. So I guess I better stick to 1/50 🏋️‍♂️🎬
EOS M

ZEEK

Quote from: LittleBig M on November 06, 2019, 07:38:59 PM
On 50 mm f 1,2 did you use full time manual focus or did you switch to AF for assist? The 50 L has a relatively short focus is definitely not one my favs for video.
I used full time manual focus. The af makes a focusing sound not being an stm lens. I tend to mostly always stick with manual focus.

For filters you used Variable ND, CPL, and BPM 1/4. Did you use all three together at once and do all three have the same size? I'm just asking because the BPM hates any space between other filters(step up/down rings) that window shot ghosting/reflection is maybe a result of space between the BPM and other filters.
Yes all three together and inside just the pro mist and cpl filter 72-77mm step up ring. The cpl mostly caused the reflection. I could have deleted but i kept it.

And my last question is on your ratio of usable to non-usable clips. I Aim for roughly 60-40 when using the eos m, I ask because my ratio is much lower on eos m when compared to others cameras.
It changes all the time. Probably like 70-30 or around that.
EOS M

Luther

Quote from: ZEEK on November 06, 2019, 09:04:27 PM
It hasn't ever happened @1/50 only when fps override, image fine tuning and 1/48 is set and exposed to specific lighting. So I guess I better stick to 1/50 🏋️‍♂️🎬

Ah ha! Did you do that on your last b&w video? Your last one didn't have this "stuck" motion blur, but this one has. If you're kind, can you please, for the sake of my sanity, give a sample (with motion) between fps-override/shutter-finetunning and one without those (1/50)?

ZEEK

No i didn't on my last b&w one. But then again there were no lights. I'll test both with lights and see what happens.  ;)
EOS M