Danne's 5K Experiments on 5D Mark III

Started by ozcancelik, October 31, 2019, 11:17:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozcancelik

Used Danne's crop_rec_4k & ISO experiments(crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2019Oct15.5D3113.zip)
1808x2270,10Bit, 23.976fps to 5424x2270
Graded in MLVApp with Vision Color Osiris Vision X Lut
After Effects for some stabilization

Danne

5k, not bad. A little too smooth to my liking. Did you use any denoising in post or are the files that smooth?

ozcancelik

Quote from: Danne on October 31, 2019, 11:50:31 AM
5k, not bad. A little too smooth to my liking. Did you use any denoising in post or are the files that smooth?

I just used MLVApp for denoising. Maybe my mistake but some footages was too noisy when added LUT. Chroma noise was crazy. So i just removed chrome noise. (Maybe 12 or 14 bit could be better). Also added post grain after denoising(in mlvapp). My personal hate is chroma noise.

Also the night metro part was 12800 iso. I just wanted to test xtreme iso :) This part is very very smooth, not usable.

Just want to say, even iso 100 was noisy to me. Maybe i didnt use usable iso like 160-640 etc. I will look your posts again.

Thanks[emoji1365]

Danne

You need to push exposure to reduce noise. Widely known fact.

ozcancelik

Quote from: Danne on October 31, 2019, 01:58:34 PM
You need to push exposure to reduce noise. Widely known fact.
You mean in camera right? I forgot to add ettr module. Next time i will try with that.  Is there any known conflict ettr module with your builds?

Danne

ilia3101

Quote from: ozcancelik on October 31, 2019, 02:31:36 PM
You mean in camera right? I forgot to add ettr module. Next time i will try with that.  Is there any known conflict ettr module with your builds?

Don't worry about the module, just enable raw zebras, and push the exposure as much as you want, using the zebras to make sure you don't clip too much.

IDA_ML

I had the opportunity to test the latest 5D3 experimental build called:

crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2019Oct15.5D3113

The 5k anamorphic mode provides amazing fine detail at full horizontal sensor resolution but:

1)  I couldn't get the preview working, no matter what preview mode I used - I tried them all, also after formatting both cards.  Preview is skewed and freezes when recording is started which makes framing impossible. 

EDIT:
====

It looks like the Preview issue seems to be SD-card related.  I replaced the SD-card with another one and Preview is working now.  Very strange.  The first one is fast and works otherwise flawlessly.

2) There is very strong aliasing in the footage.  Here is a short MLV illustrating this:

https://we.tl/t-bBQlQcioqY

I also tried the 4k mode, (at 1360x2296 resolution) by filming exactly the same scene.  Aliasing is nonexistant to negligible.

Danne, could you please take a look?
Thanks.

ozcancelik

Quote from: IDA_ML on November 01, 2019, 10:45:08 AM
I had the opportunity to test the latest 5D3 experimental build called:

crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2019Oct15.5D3113

The 5k anamorphic mode provides amazing fine detail at full horizontal sensor resolution but:

1)  I couldn't get the preview working, no matter what preview mode I used - I tried them all, also after formatting both cards.  Preview is skewed and freezes when recording is started which makes framing impossible. 

EDIT:
====

It looks like the Preview issue seems to be SD-card related.  I replaced the SD-card with another one and Preview is working now.  Very strange.  The first one is fast and works otherwise flawlessly.

2) There is very strong aliasing in the footage.  Here is a short MLV illustrating this:

https://we.tl/t-bBQlQcioqY

I also tried the 4k mode, (at 1360x2296 resolution) by filming exactly the same scene.  Aliasing is nonexistant to negligible.

Danne, could you please take a look?
Thanks.

For your first question; can you try disable atdg_ui on modules if it's enabled.  I had similar preview problem(sometimes preview works sometimes does not work), solved with disabling atdg_ui module.

IDA_ML

Thanks a lot, Ozcancelik! 

I disabled the atdg_ui module and Preview is working with both SD-cards now.  Maybe Danne can fix that.

I have a short remark to your video.  It seems extremely overprocessed.  Open your clips in MLVApp and apply just some very basic adjustments to them - exposure, contrast, curves, sharpness and maybe add some saturation.  Watch the histogram and make sure you are not overexposing the highlights.  Then export to ProRes422LT for final cutting.  You should be able to get very high-quality footage with excellent fine detail, dynamic range and colors.  Just give it a try.

ozcancelik

Quote from: IDA_ML on November 01, 2019, 12:45:16 PM
Thanks a lot, Ozcancelik! 

I disabled the atdg_ui module and Preview is working with both SD-cards now.  Maybe Danne can fix that.

I have a short remark to your video.  It seems extremely overprocessed.  Open your clips in MLVApp and apply just some very basic adjustments to them - exposure, contrast, curves, sharpness and maybe add some saturation.  Watch the histogram and make sure you are not overexposing the highlights.  Then export to ProRes422LT for final cutting.  You should be able to get very high-quality footage with excellent fine detail, dynamic range and colors.  Just give it a try.

Thanks for suggestions.

It was my first try on MLVApp. Best app for MLV process ever. I think I enjoyed tampering with all the settings. :) Need to learn from mistakes.