2.5K EOS M RAW Video | VEGA-7 20mm F2: Russian Artistry

Started by ZEEK, October 27, 2019, 09:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZEEK

Camera: Canon EOS M [2.5K ML RAW Mode - ~2.9x Crop]
Lens: VEGA-7 20mm F/2 [KIEV 16U Mount]

Here is a lens test and footage compilation of an old Russian USSR Cine Lens that sells for cheap using the Canon EOS M ML RAW 2.5K Mode. Looking at the overall story, I felt that Black & White was more appropriate in comparison to color.

Quite Dramatic...One of my favorite scenes @2:19

2.5K RAW @ 2.35:1 [2520X1072] - No Letterbox added.
ISO 100
23.976FPS
1/48
Lightly Graded in MLV APP w/ Reinhard, exported in a 4K Timeline [FCPX]
EOS M

LittleBig M

Very nice B-W conversion .Vega-7-1 20mm f2  look  clean nice lens ...

ZEEK

EOS M

Luther

Damn, what a beautiful lens. Great job ZEEK.
I noticed the sky is dark. Did you use a red filter or polarizer? Or just reduced blue brightness? I really like this. When I photographed with Ilford HP5 years ago, I used to use a red filter to get this same dramatic effect.
Any idea how I can get this lens too? Ebay? And how is the mount conversion?

DeafEyeJedi

Definitely looked like he used a CPF. These skies are lookin' deep in a good way. Thanks for sharing how marvelous this artistic lens can be @ZEEK!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

ZEEK

Hey guys, I have heaps of lenses to test out and share. This is one of those really fine vintage lenses.

@Luther
The Vega 7-1 is a Kiev 16 Mount copy. I got the adapter a while ago from here:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Kiev-16U-lens-to-Canon-EOS-EF-M-camera-mount-adapter/143023088557?hash=item214cd723ad:g:xXYAAOSwC7xc~Ban
I bought the lens off eBay as well. Just check with the seller that the focus is not frozen or stiff, it's essential to have smooth focus.

*Sky is dark as I used a cheap branded CPL Filter [77mm]. I pretty much use this most of the time with every lens I use except indoors at times.

@DeafEyeJedi
Yep, you're correct. No problem! I enjoy testing out different lenses with ML Raw, helps inform people's buying decisions. This lens definitely has character, also the way that cine lens render the final image. 

EOS M