nature video using resolve CST ACES + linear gamma

Started by 70MM13, October 24, 2019, 06:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70MM13

I tweaked the setup again, and after doing some experiments with ACES and the CST plugin, I found that it was time to go back to linear gamma, and what a difference it makes!

I shot this new episode in the most ridiculously challenging conditions, in the heart of the forest on a sunny day with strong winds blowing dark clouds in and out of the shot.  I also wore a shiny velvet shirt to maximize the strong highlights during the sunny times.

ISO 111.  Dual iso could NOT handle these conditions.  No way.  It would crumble during the dark times.  Hopefully stoogetoob didn't ruin the video too much with their compression artifacts...

Check it out, and then we can discuss the resolve setup ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvIzPa2BX5w

timbytheriver

@70MM13 The 'Linear' King is back! ;) Be great to hear the detail on the new MLVApp/Resolve setup when you have time.
5D3 1.1.3
5D2 2.1.2

timbytheriver

@70MM13 I know you have your magic iso 111 :) Is this starting from a base iso 200 and then tweaking the regs?

On these examples below I started with base 200 and setting ADTG Preamp: 2, ADTG 0XFE: 0, I get a resultant iso of 87

Just wondered whether you get to iso 111 another way?

Guess which is which... ;)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cHVknlXKmmzVy--rnmraaZwN2Gd9GCh7
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iFfIc1CWpZk4a-LMQwWP2Bxm73WV0UKc
5D3 1.1.3
5D2 2.1.2

DeafEyeJedi

5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

70MM13

Ha!  thanks guys
i have a feeling that stoogetoob degraded the video too much.  i will upload a lossless lagarith version the next time i have access to a real internet connection ;)

yes, i start from 200, and here's where it is a little goofy:  i do it in photo mode, where it calls it iso 111, but then in video mode it says something different, iso 94 or something similar.  i can't recall the exact number but it's probably unimportant.

regarding my new setup for resolve, it is so easy to use!  once you get everything all set just make a "preset" and then using it is so fast...  it made short work of this very demanding video!

under colour management:
colour science acescct (i don't think aces version matters but i am using the default 1.0.3)
aces input device transform canon5d
output device transform set to whatever you are using (i am using srgb d60 sim)

for the camera raw use cdng, no options enabled.

camera raw tab:
exposure +2 (for some reason resolve is always happiest there, although you may need to adjust it for some clips)
highlights 0

i use two nodes.

second node explained first:
CST plugin, settings as follows:
input colour space use timeline
input gamma linear
output colour space use timeline
output gamma BMD video gen4
tonemapping luminance mapping
everything else default

first node is where you do the grading, and it's super easy!

on the log colour wheels tab, drop the highlights to -100 (NOT using the wheel, but the little dialog box on subpage 2 at the bottom.
on the same subpage set your contrast pivot point to 1, and then slowly increase the contrast until the image looks right.

that's it!

i'm curious to know if it works for anyone else...

timbytheriver

5D3 1.1.3
5D2 2.1.2

Luther

Quote from: 70MM13 on October 25, 2019, 02:08:46 PM
output device transform set to whatever you are using (i am using srgb d60 sim)
Try Rec.2020... youtube is accepting 10-bit Rec.2020 now (HDR).

output gamma BMD video gen4
Why is that? BMD is not exactly a best-practice for anything...

Overall I think this processing is very good. I would just like to see how much you can push tones, testing in very contrasted landscapes and bright colors. There's no Red Maple tree in your area? It has red tones useful for testing this kind of thing, specially because of chromatic contrast with the blue sky...
Keep experimenting @70MM13! I like these threads where we can discuss good color grading techniques.

70MM13

@tim, i'm out of data for the month so i will check out your link next week...

@luther, i'm using the d60 because that's what my monitor is.  it only makes sense for me to use the output that matches my (ancient) hardware.  i will try rec2020 and see if i can wrap my head around it :P

regarding the bmd video gen4 output gamma, i chose that after experimenting recently with another video (android rock electro pop remix) where i had a very problematic shot of a closeup of an oscilloscope and the bright red led was pointing right at the camera.  this was the only option that accurately reproduced the colour, so it convinced me that it's the right default for me :)

i have some giant burning bushes that are the most intense bright red imaginable right now.  i will do a test shot of one of them against a blue sky just for us to play with.  next week when i have more data here in the forest ;)

70MM13

luther, thank you SO MUCH for suggesting rec2020!!!

i just sat down to play with the old oscilloscope shot with different options, and after only a few minutes, i found a new setup that is simply UNBELIEVABLE!

check this out, and please, kids, try this at home:

NO CST PLUGIN!

under "colour management":
colour science ACEScc
aces version 1.0.3

aces input device transform: canon 5d
aces output device transform: rec2020 HLG 1000nits

again, NO CST plugin!

one node, and the only settings required are exposure and gain!

that's it!

i can't believe how effortless this is.  the results so far are amazing with everything i am throwing at it.

it's time to redo all my videos!  sadly, the source files for my "digital analog" music video are gone, and it would have benefited so much from this!

i still can't believe how perfect this is.  can mlvapp do this?