EOS M, hike day

Started by ngemu, October 22, 2019, 03:50:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ngemu

Eos m! Some handheld footage i got this past Sunday. Working hard on exposing and focusing correctly.. still a lot to learn with this tiny camera.

Luther

Nice colors in 02m43s. Too much contrast (maybe some highlight compression/rolloff), but it's great. Are you using wide gamut on mlvapp?
Nice shots @ngemu!

ilia3101

One of the most beautiful videos I have seen on this forum. You really got the colours right. So colourful, but not over saturated. No teal/orange or any kind of "film look" mush, just good colours. And smooth highlights 99% of the time. Very very well done.

I agree with luther about 2:43,, a little too much contrast on that one, also the plants at 1:21 are really clipped.

What tonemapping settings did you use in mlv app mostly?

Edit: all of your eos m videos are great

ngemu

Quote from: Luther on October 22, 2019, 06:49:14 AM
Nice colors in 02m43s. Too much contrast (maybe some highlight compression/rolloff), but it's great. Are you using wide gamut on mlvapp?
Nice shots @ngemu!

Quote from: Ilia3101 on October 22, 2019, 01:31:20 PM
One of the most beautiful videos I have seen on this forum. You really got the colours right. So colourful, but not over saturated. No teal/orange or any kind of "film look" mush, just good colours. And smooth highlights 99% of the time. Very very well done.

I agree with luther about 2:43,, a little too much contrast on that one, also the plants at 1:21 are really clipped.

What tonemapping settings did you use in mlv app mostly?

Edit: all of your eos m videos are great

Thank you Luther and Ilia3101

To be honest, I'm not really sure what I'm doing. When I'm filming, I try to over expose as much as I can. In MLV app, I simply drop the gamma value (default 3.15) down to 2. Then I add some vibrance / contrast. I find the picture comes cleaner than working with underexpose footage. Only problem is I clip a a lot. Please correct me if im wrong, everything is still a work in progress for me.

Here are some screenshots of the process.

https://imgur.com/a/jg1IAlI

Tone mapping is set to the default rec709. I've tried zeeks method of using BDMflm but looks weird on my shots.

ZEEK

Hey ngemu, saw the sample snapshots. Just remember this camera isn't a RED Camera with high stops of dynamic range. It has around 11.2 stops but it still is pretty good. Clipping is not a bad thing if you do it right, big movies clip highlights so don't be too hard on yourself. Sometimes you need to make a sacrifice to expose the subject or your background, in this case, you chose the subject. I use zebras [100%] to ensure the subject isn't clipping anywhere but I myself am still practicing. A CPL Filter will help! Nice Video by the way, keep it up!  ;)
EOS M

ngemu

Quote from: ZEEK on October 23, 2019, 09:47:15 AM
Hey ngemu, saw the sample snapshots. Just remember this camera isn't a RED Camera with high stops of dynamic range. It has around 11.2 stops but it still is pretty good. Clipping is not a bad thing if you do it right, big movies clip highlights so don't be too hard on yourself. Sometimes you need to make a sacrifice to expose the subject or your background, in this case, you chose the subject. I use zebras [100%] to ensure the subject isn't clipping anywhere but I myself am still practicing. A CPL Filter will help! Nice Video by the way, keep it up!  ;)

ZEEK!

Luther

Quote from: ngemu on October 23, 2019, 05:12:39 AM
I find the picture comes cleaner than working with underexpose footage.
That's for sure. You'll have less noise if you overexpose. But, as you've said yourself, you need to be careful not to clip highlights. The way I do it is using raw histogram. Expose the image until it reaches the maximum to the right, without clipping. If the image still has cruched shadows (even after ETTR), then use dual-iso (normally 100-400 is better).
In situations like daylight, a ND filter might be necessary to get 1/48 shutter speed.
Tone mapping is set to the default rec709. I've tried zeeks method of using BDMflm but looks weird on my shots.
Test Tonemapping to "Alexa Log-C" and Gamut to AP0 or AP1. From my tests it gives the best results on MLVApp, you just need to work with the curves to get correct contrast.

ilia3101

Quote from: ngemu on October 23, 2019, 05:12:39 AM

Thank you Luther and Ilia3101

To be honest, I'm not really sure what I'm doing. When I'm filming, I try to over expose as much as I can. In MLV app, I simply drop the gamma value (default 3.15) down to 2. Then I add some vibrance / contrast. I find the picture comes cleaner than working with underexpose footage. Only problem is I clip a a lot. Please correct me if im wrong, everything is still a work in progress for me.

Here are some screenshots of the process.

https://imgur.com/a/jg1IAlI

If you reprocess the shot at 1:21 the exact same way, but with "Reinhard 3/5" insread of rec709, it should look much better! Please try it and show how it looks if you have time. All Reinhard 3/5 does is roll the highlights off really smoothly without having too much of an effect on the image.

Also on the screenshot you showed, the gamut is set to rec709, but tonemapping is Reinhard. So were you sometimes using rec709 and sometimes reinhard? Or do you mean gamut was default rec709. (sorry if there's confusion, as rec709 is an option in both gamut and tonemapping)

DeafEyeJedi

Love the opening shot even though like you mentioned it may very well be slightly overexposed but hey I love the fact that you sticked with ETTR in beast mode. Well worth the hike and thanks for sharing your work. Please try the Reinhard 3/5 and these curves can be your best friends!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109