[2.8K] Upscale EOS M RAW | DUNKIRK Inspired Look w/ Canon FD Speedbooster/Lens

Started by ZEEK, October 21, 2019, 10:04:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZEEK

RAW Film test to see how the colours can be pushed. Tried to emulate the DUNKIRK 📽 Film look but not too close. Great camera from 2012. 👌

[2.8K] Upscale EOS M RAW Film | DUNKIRK Inspired Cinematic Look with FD Speedbooster & Canon FD Lens | MCM Rewire 1080

Lens: Canon FD 28mm 2.8 &  FD 50mm 1.8

- MCM Rewire 1080
- 1736x976 upscaled to 2880x1620 [2.8K, 16:9] and then placed in a 4K Timeline
- 24p, 1/48
- ISO 100, WB 5600K
- Alexa Wide Gamut

EOS M

yourboylloyd

That was so beautiful. Especially the portraits. You make RAW proud! Can't believe FD lenses can get this kind of quality
Join the ML discord! https://discord.gg/H7h6rfq

ZEEK

Thank you Lloyd :) I love shooting raw on mirrorless cameras, and the M Cameras seem to deliver a really nice image with Magic Lantern RAW, and yes FD Lenses are AMAZING! I prefer them over my Contax Zeiss (But don't tell anyone ;D).
EOS M

Luther

Oh boy, you're going to have a hard time trying to replicate 70mm Kodak Vision3. That's the dream digital cameras have been pursuing since the beginning.
But, your color palette is surprisingly close. I also like the film grain in there (even though youtube compression fucked it).
Have anyone tried those Cinegrain LUTs yet? They seem neat for film emulation.
Quote from: ZEEK on October 22, 2019, 04:41:25 AM
I prefer them over my Contax Zeiss (But don't tell anyone ;D).
How dare you said that, Zeiss Planar best lens ever!1!11!! :P

ZEEK

Yeah 70mm Kodak is huuuge. No competition there, which is why I focused on the grading. I was hoping the Film grain would work, but bad boy YouTube of course did what it does best! 🧨
I love all Zeiss lenses especially the contax line, but FD lenses can really hold their place at a really low cost. My favourite Contax lens combo for the price: 28mm f2.8 MMJ + 50mm f1.4 MMJ 🍾👍
EOS M

IDA_ML

Beautifil colors, Zeek, congratulations!  Would you share your color grading workflow?  How did you achieve these colors and how did you get them on all clips?

Also another question.  The tilted horizon in the background, was this a creative decision?
Thanks.

ZEEK

Thanks a lot👍The workflow is always the same but the technique or look changes all the time depending on the subject or location in filming and what look it requires.

Workflow is simple:
MLV App -> Prores4444 [Upscale 2.8K 16:9] -> Final Cut Pro 4K Timeline -> Export -> Done!

I have configured within MLV App Tangent + ALEXA Wide Gamut and then a Rec 709 LUT I made which was placed within MLV App as well. It's a weird receipt configuration trust me, from memory:
I used Curves in MLV App
Clarity was set to the minimum,
Sharpness 50-80%,
Contrast 100
Shadows 100
Vibrance 0
Saturation 10
White Level 16200
Dark/Light Strength Vary

The workflow is always the same as mentioned above, but my editing settings are always changing or adapting to suit the mood of what I've captured if that makes sense.
EOS M

IDA_ML

Yes, I agree, Zeek but how do you get this nostalgic greenish-blueish tint, specific to certain old color slide films, in the footage?  This is not possible to achieve just from a certain lens or the settings that you listed.   This must be coming either from that specific Rec 709 LUT that you created and that probably features some serious disbalance between the color channels, with the green and blue channel dominating over the red channel.  Or you made a specific color grading that you applied to all clips in your video.  Some more details on your color grading workflow should be greatly appreciated.

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: IDA_ML on October 22, 2019, 05:10:47 PM
Yes, I agree, Zeek but how do you get this nostalgic greenish-blueish tint, specific to certain old color slide films, in the footage?  This is not possible to achieve just from a certain lens or the settings that you listed.   This must be coming either from that specific Rec 709 LUT that you created and that probably features some serious disbalance between the color channels, with the green and blue channel dominating over the red channel.  Or you made a specific color grading that you applied to all clips in your video.  Some more details on your color grading workflow should be greatly appreciated.

+1
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: Luther on October 22, 2019, 06:36:12 AM
Have anyone tried those Cinegrain LUTs yet? They seem neat for film emulation.

That looks intriguing. Have you tried them personally?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

yourboylloyd

Join the ML discord! https://discord.gg/H7h6rfq

ZEEK

@IDA_ML
Yes I imported a LUT which was adjusted from Photoshop into MLV App and applied it to all the clips and then adjusted them individually.
The Cinegrain LUTs look real nice as well as the color grades on the site..the price is the only concern.
EOS M

IDA_ML

Thank you Zeek,

So, it's the LUT that does the magic.  Do you mind sharing it with us?

Luther

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on October 22, 2019, 08:04:30 PM
That looks intriguing. Have you tried them personally?
Nah, way above my pay grade.
But I have contacted them some time ago and it seems pretty solid. They mapped the color palette using ACES.
Quote from: yourboylloyd on October 22, 2019, 09:28:57 PM
Those LUTs cost more than a 5Dmark3 so I'm probably good XD
Yes, they are meant for big companies.