able to record 3.5K raw but all Dng files are just pictures of white noise

Started by nelsonwtp, October 19, 2019, 10:14:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelsonwtp

Hello everyone, this is my first time posting here and sorry for desperately asking for help.

I have only recently got into filming Raw with ML on my 5D Mark3. I did a lot of research and even purchased the guide book written by Andrew Reid. I went out today to get myself the Sandisk Extreme Pro 160MB/s CF card for shooting 3.5K RAW. Everything went quite smoothly during the test shoot. I did follow all the instructions from the guide book and was shooting 3.5K 12bit Lossless in the "3.5k 1:1 centered x5" mode. I could even play back my clip using "mlv_play" module. Shockingly after converting the mlv file to dng files using "Magic Lantern Raw video converter", all the dng files I've got are all pictures of white noise. 

Intertestingly, Everything works fine when I turn "Crop mode" OFF and shoot normal 1080p 14bit RAW videos. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? Beside that, I could take RAW photo on it fine as well so I doubt it is a sensor related problem, but i am not sure on that either. I've been googling about this for 3 hours now and haven't managed to find any explanation for my case.

ML settings:
Module: crop_rec, mlv_lite, mlv_play
All settings I've changed: Liveview zoon tweaks, image Fine-tuning (shutter fine-tuning), enabled crop mode (3.5k 1:1 centreed x5), enabled Raw video 3584x1320/12bit lossless (it does say expect 900-10000 frames in green texts at the bottom)

Sorry if this doesn't seem like an emergency post to you but it is pretty serious for me since i am worried sick that if there is something seriously wrong with my camera. Thank you for everyone's patience for reading this.

nelsonwtp

Hello everyone, this is my first time posting here and sorry for desperately asking for help.

I have only recently got into filming Raw with ML on my 5D Mark3. I did a lot of research and even purchased the guide book written by Andrew Reid. I went out today to get myself the Sandisk Extreme Pro 160MB/s CF card for shooting 3.5K RAW. Everything went quite smoothly during the test shoot. I did follow all the instructions from the guide book and was shooting 3.5K 12bit Lossless in the "3.5k 1:1 centered x5" mode. I could even play back my clip using "mlv_play" module. Shockingly after converting the mlv file to dng files using "Magic Lantern Raw video converter", all the dng files I've got are all pictures of white noise.

Intertestingly, Everything works fine when I switch "Crop mode" OFF and shoot normal 1080p 14bit RAW videos. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? Beside that, I could take RAW photo on it fine so I doubt it is a sensor related problem, but I am not sure on that either. I've been googling about this for 3 hours now and haven't managed to find any explanation for my case.

ML settings:
Module: crop_rec, mlv_lite, mlv_play
All settings I've changed: Liveview zoon tweaks, image Fine-tuning (shutter fine-tuning), enabled crop mode (3.5k 1:1 centreed x5), enabled Raw video 3584x1320/12bit lossless (it does say expect 900-10000 frames in green texts at the bottom)

Thank you for everyone's patience for reading this.
https://ibb.co/dphVB76

DeafEyeJedi

Care to share some of your MLV files? Trimmed preferable if possible. Also have you tried previewing them in MLV_App?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

ilia3101

Quote from: nelsonwtp on October 19, 2019, 10:14:00 PM
Shockingly after converting the mlv file to dng files using "Magic Lantern Raw video converter", all the dng files I've got are all pictures of white noise. 

Haven't ever heard of that software, it is probably old and released before magic lantern could do compression, so does not have support for it. Use Switch or MLV App or MLVProducer.

Walter Schulz

https://www.fastcinemadng.com/info/mlv/mlv-converter.html
And there are several forum threads (2014-recent) about this software. Generating garbage with footage created by experimental builds seems to be a mayor issue.