I must reassign/ remap my broken set button on a 6Dmk1 running firmware 1.1.3

Started by witheringsun, October 15, 2019, 10:36:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

witheringsun

Hey everyone,
Help greatly appreciated!

The set button on my Canon 6D mk1 is broken, and this means that I can't activate a lot of important features on my camera INCLUDING updating the firmware which is necessary to install the latest version of Magic Lantern. Currently, I am stuck with 1.1.3

Would I be correct in guessing that the correct version of Magic Lantern to put on my memory card so i can make the necessary mods is
magiclantern-Nightly.2015Jun09.6D113.zip    ?  -----> This is the last version of magiclantern for the 6D that was released before the upgrade to 1.1.6 version.

If this is correct I will proceed with that update.
After I will search the forums for the information on how to put the correct code into the mod so that when i turn the camera on the new set button will be the AE lock button (which is the * button) to the right of the video start button.  If anyone has any tips on this, then also great!! But first putting the right version of magic lantern onto my memory card that doesn't break my camera is the first priority.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Walter Schulz

Quote from: witheringsun on October 15, 2019, 10:36:56 PM
The set button on my Canon 6D mk1 is broken, and this means that I can't activate a lot of important features on my camera INCLUDING updating the firmware which is necessary to install the latest version of Magic Lantern. 

Use EOS Utility for firmware installation instead.

witheringsun

I Just tried. It won't work, even with my 6D hooked up to my PC the camera requires me to press the broken SET button to initiate the update.
I'm really stuck. :(

a1ex

Right, the firmware update also asks for a SET press.

I can enable the boot flag via UART, but my advice would be to simply open up the camera and fix the button. Triggering a software button press during a firmware update is a risky procedure in my opinion (probably doable in a couple of days of experimenting, but not worth the risk IMO).

One thing I did not try, but it's very likely to work: run ML-6D113.FIR (from the 1.1.3 build) via EOS utility. It should restart the camera, run the FIR file, and it won't ask you to press SET.

Minor issue: AE lock, and also AF-ON and DOF preview, are very difficult to remap; you will need to choose some other button. One of the diagonal directions is probably the best candidate, as it's likely not used very often, and provides both "press" and "unpress" events.